Community Message Boards

Thread: Best way to defrost meat within the hour

Best way to defrost meat within the hour

I didn't take any out this morning ... so i think i'll do a quick defrost when I get home ... whats the best way? I know I can put it in the microwave but I find it always starts to cook the outside ... I have all kinds of stuff in the freezer ... chicken, pork, beef (flank, ground, loin), liver ... whats easiest to defrost?

YP

Choose the thinest cut of whatever & put the entire unopened packagetin the sink & cover w/ COLD water. Weight down the package to keep the entire thing under water. The COLD water draws out the ice crystals in the meat.

thanks rosen ... that tip is much appreciated ...

Alternatively, I learned somewhere along the way that if you put the frozen meat on/in something metal (a baking sheet or metal bowl, for example) on a countertop, it thaws more quickly. Maybe not quickly enough to do the job between after-work and dinner-time, but much quicker than usual. I wish I understood the physics of it better, but somehow the metal conducts the cold out into the room faster.
    Good luck!
    Teddy
    Bloom where you're planted.

Sounds familiar! STOP BY THE MARKET ON THE WAY HOME and pick up something! That is what I did when I was working
    Curleytop

I use the cold-water-in-the-sink method quite often! There's usually one or two brain poots a month where I forget to grab something out of the freezer in the morning before I rush off to work! Depending on the size of the meat there shouldn't be a problem. If it's pork chops or chicken pieces try to break the pieces up as they begin to thaw to speed the process up!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I often defrost in the microwave by using the lowest setting...not the defrost....below that. I do it for 15 minutes at a time. I haven't had any cooking start. Soon you can break it apart. It works pretty good.

thanks for the help ... the problem is solved ... I'M GOING OUT FOR DINNER

YP

I second Norma's recommendation. Here is a copy of what I wrote once on an old, old post where someone asked the same question:

I always use my microwave to defrost meat. I don't usually think ahead of time about what I want to make for dinner, and we have a big deep freeze in the basement, so I think I would be lost without my ability to defrost meat quickly. You wanted to know how to defrost without "cooking the edges" - I have experienced that problem many a time myself. I think a lot has to do with your microwave, but mine has 10 levels - 10 being the highest, 1 being the lowest. I first defrost the meat (chicken, beef, pork tenderloin, whatever), in it's original wrapping for 5 minutes on the defrost setting, which for my microwave is I think level 2 or 3. Then, when that's done, I check it. If it's a big roast, I will probably set it for another 5 minutes on defrost, but a typically package of boneless skinless chicken or ground beef, I will set for 5 minutes but on level 1, the lowest setting. Then I open the packages, and feel how defrosted the stuff is. If it's ground beef, I will pull off the completely defrosted meat from the edges and go another 3 or so minutes on level 1 again, and if it's chicken breasts, I will separate them and turn them around and go for another 2 or 3 minutes on level 1. If I am cutting the chicken breasts up (9 times out of 10 I am), I like them to be ever so slightly frozen anyway, it's easier to cut them. But using this method (it's just slower), I never have cooked edges anymore at all. Hope that helps you out!!

Another solution is to cook it frozen; this probably works best with chicken breasts or individual pieces of meat. I keep boneless pork chops in the freezer, but one of my preferred ways of cooking is to sprinkle with some kind of seasoning—cajun, lemon pepper, garlic pepper, whatever—and broil. 1" pork chops are usually done in 7-10 minutes; I turn them once halfway through. I do lamb rib chops this way too (except I rub them with garlic first). Broiling them while frozen lets them get nicely brown on the top, but doesn't overcook them; they are still nice and juicy in the middle.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

thanks for the tip grace ... i will try that next time ...

thanks sushibones

What perfect timing for this thread!

I got home last night, and DH wanted meat for dinner (tells me at 6:15!!). I happened to be surfing the BB and lurked on this thread, and lo and behold, I had to use your tips within the hour!! You all are so great in your tips and answers to dilemmas.

Funny thing, though, when DH told me he wanted pork for dinner, I asked HIM how I should defrost the thing (I am vegetarian), then just nonchalantly mentioned that I had "heard" of a different way to quickly defrost meat.....his reply? YOU MEAN YOU READ IT ON THAT BB!?!?!? (hee, hee)

BTW, the pork was for the apricot hoisin pork recipe in the April issue....DH really liked it, and was it EASY!!!