Community Message Boards

Thread: dumb question: can i REALLY put a skillet in the oven?

dumb question: can i REALLY put a skillet in the oven?

i know this is probably a really dumb question, but is it really safe to put a skillet/frying pan/etc in the oven?

i'm planning to make the almond crusted chicken from the april issue, and after a few minutes sauteeing on the stovetop, you're supposed to wrap the handle with foil and put it in the oven to finish.

why the foil? and i'm afraid the handle on my nonstick pan will melt or something! (it's Tfal). i have stainless cookware that i'd feel more comfortable putting in the oven, but i'm still a little nervous.

anyone done this before? i know lots of CL recipes call for thismethod, but i've never made those for fear of damaging my pots and pans!

any input is greatly appreciated!
    marisa

what kind of handle do you have? if it's oven safe go for it, if not don't. i have all clad and its fine for the oven. i don't get the al foil unless it's in the oven for a short time and the al foil will protect a nonmetal handle??? i wouldn't risk it.
    cheryl
    Cheryl

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Just posting to say that I don't think I'd risk my skillet in the oven either.
    I do have others that I wouldn't mind using in the oven, but I'd be scared my non-stick pan's handle would melt or something.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have never yet dared to put a skillet in the oven.

You'd be better off just using an iron skillet to transfer from stovetop to oven
    I have T-fal also and have put my dutch oven in the stove (fearful at first but I grew brave) and it was fine- but if you have an iron skillet, I would go that route first.

They usually tell you whether the handle is oven safe or not (and to what temperature - i.e., "oven safe to 350"). I have definitely put my nonstick skillet in the oven, and to a higher temp even, but I did wrap the handle. I wouldn't do it though if the meat required a long cooking time in the oven. But 10-20 minutes should be no problem at all. I also have several skillets with metal handles, which is exactly what they're made for (the reason they put metal handles on them in the first place). This is how the restaurants do it all the time. Start stuff on the stove, and finish it off in the broiler/oven. Hope that helps.

ok, so i'm not so sure i'll put my nonstick in the oven, but i'm getting brave about putting my stainless pan in. i'll see if anyone else has any comments to sway me one way or the other! thanks everyone!

oh, and i don't have an iron skillet, either, so that wasn't even an option

marisa

I have Calphalon and this is what they say in the booklet- for their stuff.

Hard-anodized pans and covers can be used in the oven and under the broiler

Nonstick oven safe to 450*. Not approved for broiler use, which will damage the nonstick surface of the pan.

Stainless Steel can be used in the oven and under the broiler. Tempered glass covers are oven safe to 450*

I have nonstick and have put it the oven for a couple of times.

one of the students in my cooking class last year put the school's non-stick in the oven.....I warned them to watch it and maybe use foil around the handle....
    nothing bad happened to it, but if this is a very good quality piece of cookware, I'd probably not risk it.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I have always been afraid to put my nonstick in the oven, so I went out and bought a Lodge cast iron skillet just for this purpose. It wasn't that expensive and I don't have to worry now if I could be harming my skillet.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

Cool

Does this help? (From T-Fal's web site)

Can I put my cookware in the oven?
    Please check the instruction guide that came with the cookware to identify, which pieces are in fact, oven safe. If you still have a question, please contact us for clarification.

T-FAL stovetop cookware items and covers with plastic handles or knobs are not oven safe.

Those with aluminum or phenolic handles and knobs are oven safe up to 350 F.

Items with stainless steel handles and knobs are oven safe up to 500 F.
    * T-Fal cookware should never be used in a microwave or convection oven.

They've got a good web site. If that for some reason doesn't answer your question, send them an e-mail. Their site is: www.t-falusa.com

As for the stainless pans, it's going to depend upon the handles. As Grace mentioned, many are made especially to be oven-safe.

gail,
    thanks for that info from tfal's website. silly me didn't even think to look there. well, my nonstick skillet has a plastic handle, so i guess it's a good idea that i didn't put it in the oven!!!!!!

my stainless set should be fine in the oven. i'll let you know how it goes! maybe i'll just have to buy a cast iron skillet just for this purpose!

marisa

I was just reading about non-stick surfaces and high temperatures- I think it might have been in Natural Health mag? or Vege Times...Anyway, the article said that higher temps ruin non-stick surfaces, and I though to myself....that is probably what ruined my All-Clad nonstick frying pan surface- my dh put it in the oven to finish roasting some salmon at 450, ever since then the surface has had a cracked appearance.

I have used my All-Clad anodized stainless surface pan in the oven at high temps with no problems.
    Lodge cast iron is also a great alternative- and a well seasoned cast iron pan is virtually non-stick by nature. THey are truly wonderful items to have around. I have a frying pan and a Dutch Oven. Great stuff.
    Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

- Phillipians 2

well, i put the stainless skillet in the oven, and it seemed to be ok. i was busy when the timer went off, so DH removed it from the oven and proceeded to remove the chicken from the pan. well, he forgot that the thing was in a 450 oven and he touched the handle! i guess that's the biggest danger in using your usual stovetop stuff in the oven! don't forget how hot it gets! luckily, he is ok now. unfortunately, we didn't find the chicken to be amazing, so i feel like he burned his hand for nothing poor guy!

thanks again for all your help!
    marisa