Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze roasted meat?

Can you freeze roasted meat?

Before I go all the way vegetarian, I'd really like to try roasting a boneless 1/2 leg of lamb for Easter. I expect to have a lot left over and I was wondering if I could freeze portions for later dinners? Has anyone had success in freezing roasted meat?

I'm pretty sure you have to freeze cooked meat in some sort of soup or gravy-freezing it alone doesn't work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've read that this is one thing that does not freeze well.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I don't know about lamb, but I have frozen portions of cooked roast beef and chicken in the freezer with great success! It can be frozen up to 1 month for optimal flavor. Portions can be defrosted in the refrigerator for a day or so before eating or dethawed in the microwave (depending on how well your microwave defrosts). Some microwaves may sometimes alter the texture, taste or moisture content.

Actually, meat will not keep as long in the freezer with gravy or sauce! I have found that the less moisture in the meat or chicken, the better it dethaws. I have only frozen individual servings in baggies, and I have not used lamb. I guess everyone's experience will vary.

I often have small portions of roast or steak left, and I freeze it foil and use it up in burritos. I freeze it in individual servings!
    Curleytop

Thanks! I think I will give it a try. What's the worst that an happen??