Community Message Boards

Thread: How much is 1lb of potatoes?

How much is 1lb of potatoes?

I actually only need 1/2 lbs ... but can someone give me the number of tatties for either? ... the potatoes I'm using are rather small (definately not baked potatoe size) ... the recipe is to basically serve 2 people generously with some mashed potatoe ...

Thanks.
    YP

People have such different ideas as to what constitutes a baked potato size that it's hard to say. Here in Texas, they sell potatos that weigh about 2 pounds each. They're HUGE! Those are classified as large.

In restaurants, the potatoes tend to weigh about a pound

When I eat a baked potato as a side dish, I generally eat a potato that weighs 6 or 7 ounces and that's considered fairly small. I'm guessing your potatoes weigh about 5 or 6 ounces each, therefore you would need about 1 and a half or 2.

A 5 or 6 ounce potato would be about the size of 3 inches long by 2 inches across. That is my best guess.

thanks claire ...

it would help if i had a scale i guess ... ... maybe a stop at the kitchen store is in order ... any excuse to add to my growing collection of utensils ...

YP

That's funny you asked that question today. I stood in a grocery store earlier today trying to figure out how many red-skinned potatoes it took to make 2 pounds. There was no scale in sight so I stood there pretending my arm was a scale and IMAGINED how much was in the bag. I was pretty pleased when I got to the check out and found they weighed 2.11 pounds. Not bad for pure guessing. In case it helps, there were about 9 or 10 potatoes that were all on the small side.

about 40 cents... (sorry)
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank