Community Message Boards

Poll: How did your Lemonade Layer Cake turn out?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POLL: How did your Lemonade Layer Cake (April '02) turn out?

Thanks Val! There are some yummy-looking recipes on that thread! The lemon chiffon cake looks yummy, but there are 3 sticks of butter in the filling alone!!
    I just wish we could figure out the texture problem with the Lemonade Layer Cake(s) since the flavor is so good!

Ugh!

I made this for our supper club on Sunday. We all politely took a few bites, and then dumped the thing. It was heavy, dense, sticky, almost wet. The flavor itself was pretty good -- especially with the addition of the lemon curd. When I walked in the door carrying the cake, the hostess immediately apologized because she hadn't read the comments before scheduling it on the menu.

I used the following tips from the board, but none helped. The layers were barely over an inch high, and I think they compressed once frosted. There was so little batter that I almost wanted to run out and buy itty bitty cake pans for this. (I didn't)

I used the KA with the whisk. I beat the living hell out of the batter. I used cake flour hoping to keep it lighter. I did not have any sticking problems, and I did spray my racks first -- a good tip to remember.

Anyway, I made a backup -- the brown sugar poundcake from the series of poundcakes published a few years ago. That one is pretty no fail, and very tasty. I used up the cake flour on that, but wouldn't again, cause for a pound cake, it wasn't really dense enough! How's that for irony?

Amy

Question

Despite the varying opinions, I am going to try to make this one myself... How many lemons do you need to get the 1T+2t of lemon rind?

LStockman originally posted:
    Despite the varying opinions, I am going to try to make this one myself... How many lemons do you need to get the 1T+2t of lemon rind?
    I've done pretty well with two lemons to get that amount. Make sure your lemons are fresh - if they're just a little bit old, you can definitely taste it.

I'm SO glad you're trying this. I absolutely love this cake. Really. Everyone who tried the cakes I made like them, too. This Lemonade Layer Cake will be in my (small) rotation of cakes. No, mine didn't rise THAT high, but none of my cakes ever do. Mine weren't gummy or sticky at all. When I took them out of the oven they were a beautiful golden brown on top, and cooked all the way through. (I'm sorry, but those of you with runny cakes or gummy insides, I swear that you just didn't cook them long enough.)
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I think it's so interesting that 80% of the people who responded said theirs turned out "Beautifully" or "Pretty Good", yet from what I can tell, probably 80% of the written responses were nothing short of dreadful...........

I loved this cake. I urge those of you for whom it didn't turn out, to try it again.

I am making this again for my supper club this Sunday. I am so anxious. I will use real buttermilk! I am also going to make it in an 8" pans rather than 9" b/c I would like the height and if I have to toss some of the batter- no problem!

I just wanted to add some more praise -- I told my SO that I was going to make another dessert next week, and he immediately said, "the lemon cake."
    I pointed out that I'd already made it twice in the past two weeks, and he answered, nodding his head and smiling like a goofy 7-year-old, "Lemon cake."

I also wanted to point something out to Amy -- you said that you beat the batter quite a bit (although not in quite the same words. ). That's probably the reason yours turned out the way it did. It's crucial NOT to overbeat the batter, because that can cause it to be super gummy and dense. Maybe if you have some free time, give it another shot?
    "What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"
    By W. C. Fields

Originally posted by emilycat
    -- you said that you beat the batter quite a bit (although not in quite the same words. ). That's probably the reason yours turned out the way it did. It's crucial NOT to overbeat the batter, because that can cause it to be super gummy and dense.
    Ok- now I am confused. In another thread about this cake, someone posted that you can beat the heck out of a cake batter. I thought once you added the flour, you were supposed to mix until everything is blended, being careful not to overbeat.

Is there a baker in the house?

I'm with Molli -- there seems to be some conflicting opinion on the use of beating air into the batter. And, I wasn't particularly clear, but what I meant was the creaming the ingredients together section is where I concentrated the beating -- not the adding the flour part. I dunno, I don't have a lot of cake experience, but I can't say I've ever had a failure quite like this. But that's why I chose it -- I was curious as to what my results would be compared to everyone else's.

I would be curious to see what results anyone has with smaller pans. I also am certain it was baked long enough -- I did the toothpick test several times. They layers were a pretty enough color. Even though I agree with the notion that the layers aren't really supposed to be that high (the compare the picture to the fork in the picture test), the picture shows a pretty nice crumb. The only thing that I think might have made my cake particularly dense was that I made the cakes and icing on Saturday afternoon, kept them (separately) in the fridge and assembled it Sunday afternoon. I didn't think that would cause an issue, because the way the article read to me was that it probably should be kept in the fridge -- and I would guess that was because the icing never really sets - it was more like a heavy glaze.

I might try it again sometime, but, like a lot of people, I would rather have a little bit of something truly wonderful, rather than mess around too much with some of these lightened items. And, since DH isn't much of a sweets eater, I need some kind of reason to bake -- otherwise it just goes into my mouth and onto my hips!

Lastly, has anyone tried this with PINK lemonade? Maybe with a little help from food coloring?

Amy

Linda in Mo posted a recipe that was probably the original version of the cake, but I happened to find this one on www.epicurious.com - very similar as well. I have not yet entered it into MC to know the calorie or fat content though. I just wanted to give another version, if anyone is interested. However, it does warn us that it it dense. I don't mind dense, it's dense and chewy that I would rather avoid.

LEMON BUTTERMILK CAKE WITH STRAWBERRIES

Serve this dense, moist cake with a big bowl of lightly sweetened strawberries.

CAKE
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
    3 extra-large eggs
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    3 cups cake flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk

1 16-ounce package frozen sliced sweetened
    strawberries, thawed

FROSTING
    12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    2 cups powdered sugar
    5 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
    1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel

2 1-pint baskets strawberries, hulled.

FOR CAKE: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Beat sugar, butter and lemon peel in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.

Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer pans to racks and cool 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly in plastic and store at room temperature.)

Boil sliced sweetened strawberries with juices in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup and begins to thicken, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

FOR FROSTING: Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in lemonade concentrate and lemon peel.

Divide strawberry mixture between 2 cake layers and spread over tops, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Let stand until slightly set, about 5 minutes. Place 1 strawberry-topped layer on platter. Drop 3/4 cup frosting atop cake by spoonfuls; gently spread over top. Top with remaining strawberry-topped layer. Drop 3/4 cup frosting by spoonfuls atop cake; gently spread over top. Top with remaining cake layer. Using spatula, spread remaining frosting in decorative swirls over sides and top of cake. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill. Let cake stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.)

Decoratively arrange strawberries, pointed side up, atop cake. Cut into wedges and serve.

Serves 12.

Bon Appétit
    June 1995

I made the Bon Appetite cake last night. It is very dense, but I wouldn't say chewy. I made it in a 9x13 pan for a potluck at work today.

Thumbs up

Made my cake Friday night, but didn't taste it till last night. I felt the cake was easy to prepare and came out quite nicely. Despite the wonky thermostats in my ovens (until I call the tech, I rely upon a portable thermometer) no significant problems with baking time (it took 20 minutes to brown in 8" pans, though my mini-loaf with the extra 1 cup of batter took about 25 minutes), and the grain was uniform with a nice crumb. The cake was not overly heavy (though a bit denser than some cakes) nor was it at all chewy. The only negative was that I found the frosting a bit too sweet and would probably cut the sugar quantity a bit in the future (I didn't measure precisely for the frosting, but I KNOW I used slightly less than indicated in the recipe.)

Overall, a successful cake, easy and flavorful enough to definitely prepare again.

I made this today, going into it with much fear and trepidation, especially since I was making it for my inlaws!

It came out beautifully! I tried Tiger's trick with the wet newspaper around the cake pans, and they baked up perfectly flat on top. I did end up having to bake it for an extra 6 minutes before it was baked through.

I didn't think it was too sweet or too dense; although it was very moist I think that was the texture it was supposed to have. My father and sister-in-law each had a second piece, and DH said "It was definitely worth the effort!" (I had to make an emergency trip to the grocery store 45 minutes before my guests arrived b/c the checkout girl left the cream cheese out of my bag yesterday! :mad: )

I will definitely make this again, and possibly sooner than I would otherwise because my MIL asked if I'd make (count 'em) two for a luncheon she is hosting next weekend!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I made this today, out of sheer morbid curiosity after reading all the controversy around this cake. It came out BEAUTIFULLY. It looks and tastes wonderful - light, fluffy, moist, and the lemon flavor was perfect, not too tart and not too sweet. On top of that, it was super easy. The cake didn't rise as high as the boxed cake mixes I've made (completely done and frosted, it's about 2 1/2 inches tall), but the texture was very similar. I would absolutely make this again.

By the way, I followed the recipe to a T, other than the addition of about a half teaspoon of lemon extract to the frosting, for a slightly lemony-er taste.

SUCESS!

This was such a hit! So good.

I would definitely make this again. I am embarassed that is was entirely my fault last time. I didn't beat the butter sugar for five minutes and that was the only change I made- well, I also used powdered buttermilk this time. Oh! I also added 1/2 tsp. lemon extract to the frosting.

Moist, light, fluffy, easy and delicious!

Definitely Martha perfect!

YUM!!!

Okay, I didn't actually make this cake, but I had a piece (well half!) of Aggie94's and it was delicious!! This is one I will definitely make this spring.

Oh yeah--Thanks Eva!!!!

Well, I finally got to vote on this. I made it yesterday and it turned out very nice. No complaints at all. DH loves it. I asked him if he cared if I took a piece to a friend. He said okay, but take it out of your half. He was happy (and kidding).

I, too, just tried this. I love it! My DH really loves it, and he RARELY eats any of the baked goods I make. It is a definite keeper here. I didn't really change anything at all, except to add a smidge more lemonade concentrate. I'm just biding my time til I can have a piece today. I'm trying to wait until after lunch .

Beautifully, but 9x13

I voted "beautifully" because it was yummy and there was nothing wrong with it, but I must admit that I did it in a 9x13 pan, so how beautiful could it be. The little squares (okay, not THAT little) were lovely and everyone thought it was delicious. I'll definitely make this again.

Okay people. I'm making this today to take to my inlaws tomorrow. I will post my results as well.

Wish me luck!

Kristi

I took this cake to a family reunion. While everyone commented on the great flavor, it was unanimously voted "sort of dry".

Originally posted by adda
    it was unanimously voted "sort of dry".
    I used lemon curd between the layers *sorry, I can't remember who originally had the idea* and it worked great! I was afraid that it might get soggy from the lemon curd, but surprisingly, it didn't.

After all of the hoopla surrounding this recipe...

I finally got around to making this yesterday and voted for the 2nd category. I was going to make it for my sister's birthday next month but decided to give it a practice round.

It was an easy cake to make and tasted good but it was heavy and didn't rise. I didn't have 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, I only had 2 and didn't fret because some of you said that the icing was too sweet. The icing did taste good (I added some lemon extract like Eva did) but didn't adhere to the edges of the cake very well-making it visually abusive. I also closely followed the directions for the cake part and did mix thoroughly after each additon but maybe too much. I have also never seen fat free buttermilk only 1%.

My non cooking room mate, who loves my occasional adventures in baking and anything lemon was anxiously awaiting this. When she put her fork into it, she said it was heavy but would be willing to take custody of the rest of the cake. I agreed.

I do want to try this again but probably not for my sister's birthday. Next time, I will use the whisk, I may try the newspaper technique for one pan and there is another technique using a wet sweatband (unused of course) and putting it around the other pan. It also looks like I will be using the full amount of sugar for the frosting.

This worked for most of you and I am up to the challenge.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

I went to a church function today where desserts had been donated by the congregation for sale at the intermission of a concert. Someone had made the Lemonade Cake (layer version) and it looked wonderful (I knew it tasted wonderful from having made it myself last week in a 13x9). I confirmed with the people selling it that the woman who made it had made it from CL. I watched one man buy a piece, eat it, then come back for another piece awhile later, then come back after the concert was over and buy the rest of the cake to bring home. I talked to him about it and he and his wife raved about it. (BTW, the cut pieces looked like the one in the magazine!)

Well, I made it and it was delicious! For those who can't move beyond the height of the cake, how about adding another layer? These were my modifications:

I used another 1/2 tea. of baking powder
    I added a tea. of lemon extract to the the batter
    I used fat free milk w/lemon juice instead of buttermilk
    I omitted 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in frosting
    I added a tea. of lemon extract to the frosting
    I did not chill the cake nor the frosting before use
    I cooked it for 6 more minutes than called for in the recipe. My cakes were a beautiful golden brown and came right out of the pans.

My cake was moist and not chewy at all. I was very interested in trying this because I thought the double coconut cake from last year was rubbery and chewy and was afraid this would be a repeat of THAT cake---which it was not. All in all, everyone enjoyed this cake and I thought the tanginess of the frosting was delicious. I bet the lemon curd would be even better next time between the layers. I rarely repeat cake recipes as I don't make cakes often, but if I did, I would consider repeating this.

Kristi

Nothing short of outstanding

No, it wasn't the tallest cake I'd ever made, but the flavor, texture, and presentation were all excellent. I served it with a small scoop of strawberry-buttermilk gelato and sliced fresh strawberries and it was fabulous! Even my crotchety ol' dad (whose birthday we were celebrating) raved about it.

Originally posted by RebeccaT

I will definitely make this again, and possibly sooner than I would otherwise because my MIL asked if I'd make (count 'em) two for a luncheon she is hosting next weekend!
    Well.

I didn't have time to make another cake for my MIL this weekend, so I just gave her the recipe, and she gave it a go. She wasn't having as many guests as she originally thought, so she decided to make just one cake. She also doesn't like to do layer cakes, so she made it in a 9x13 pan. It didn't rise, was very grainy, and tasted a little stale (could be b/c she made it two days in advance, and kept it in the fridge). Her icing was watery (although I think it's b/c she added a whole bunch of fresh lemon juice ) It was very dense and heavy. She said her guests still seemed to enjoy it, but I could tell that she was grumpy that it didn't turn out. And I felt guilty that a recipe I had given her didn't work for her. DH told me not too, though... he said it was just a clear example of the fact that I am a better cook than his mother!!! Highest praise!!!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Just wanted to say I made these this weekend for my DD's 3rd birthday BBQ, it was a huge success! I made them into cupcakes and they were perfect! I had a ton of icing leftover, but that was about it! Not a cupcake left in the house! Everyone loved them! My mother said they were the best cupcakes she's had in a long time, and asked for the recipe, a first for me!

Tizzylish, how long did you bake the cupcakes?

I used a 1/3 cup scoop to fill the cups with and they took about 19 minutes in my oven.