Community Message Boards

Thread: Pan Conversion help!!

Pan Conversion help!!

I know the answer to this question would probably be easy to find in a cookbook- but I trust my experts here!
    If a cake recipe calls for 2 9 inch round cake pans can I use a 9x13"pan instead. The recipe I want to make is for a carrot cake. TIA Maureen
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Absolutely. Generally two layer cakes are pretty interchangable with a 9x13 pan. You may just want to keep an eye on it while baking because it may take a bit longer all in one pan.

(If you want the math nerd details....two 9 inch pans have a base area of about 127 sq. inches combined, the 9x13 has a base area of about 117 sq. inches - so your 9x13 will be a wee bit taller than one of your layers.)

I'd say that you can. The back of cake mix boxes give that as an option.

Originally posted by Peeps
    (If you want the math nerd details....two 9 inch pans have a base area of about 127 sq. inches combined, the 9x13 has a base area of about 117 sq. inches - so your 9x13 will be a wee bit taller than one of your layers.)
    So, I guess I'm not the only one to pull out a calculator!

Nonetheless, I agree, Maureen.

Originally posted by Ralph
    So, I guess I'm not the only one to pull out a calculator!
    Nope, you're not! I'm guilty of using one just to halve a recipe sometimes or to see what pans will work, etc.! Hey, at least we're accurate, right?

You are too funny. I was talking to DH a while ago about why I was having so much trouble with making pie crust. I finally decided that I had a recipe for a 9-inch crust but I had a 10-inch pie plate.

DH starts into how to increase the recipe from a 9-inch to a 10-inch, increasing the ingredients proportionally, etc.

I just looked at him and said that I was just planning to buy a 9-inch pie plate to solve my probelm.

For those of us who are mathematically challenged, here's some information from Cook's Tiptionary:

There are times when most cooks don't have the size pan called for a recipe. Substitutions can be made, but it's important to remember that baking times will need to be adjusted when pan sizes are changed.

To measure the volume of a pan or dish, fill it with water, then measure the liquid. The dimensions of a pan are measured from inside edge to inside edge. Measure the depth by standing the ruler in teh pan and checking the distance to the rim (don't slant the ruler, as with a pie pan).

Once you know the volume or dimensions, mark the measurements right on the outside bottom of the pan. Scratch the information into metal pans; use a waterproof marking pen on glass or ceramic pans.

The following ... will help determine substitutions of pans of similar sizes. Otherwise, if a recipe calls for a 8-inch square baking pan (which has a 6-cup volume), you can see ... that a 9-inch round cake pan holds approximately the same volume.

1/8 cup
    1 3/4" by 3/4" mini muffin cup

1/4 cup
    2 3/4" by 1 1/8 " muffin cup

1/2 (scant) cup
    2 3/4 " by 1 3/8" muffin cup

5/8 cup
    3" by 1 1/4" giant muffin cup

4 cups
    8" by 1 1/2" pie
    8" by 1 1/2" round cake

5 cups
    9" by 1 1/2" pie

6 cups
    8" by 2" round cake
    9" by 1 1/2" round cake
    8" by 8" by 1 1/2" square
    11" by 7" by 2" rectangular
    7 1/2" by 3" Bundt
    8 1/2" by 4 1/2" by 2 1/2" loaf

8 cups
    9" by 5" by 3" loaf
    9" by 2" pie (deep dish)
    9" by 2" round cake
    8" by 8" by 2" square
    9" by 9" by 1 1/2" square

9 cups
    9" by 3" Bundt
    8" by 3" tube

10 cups
    9" by 9" by 2" square
    9 1/2" by 2 1/2" springform

11 cups
    10" by 2" round cake

12 cups
    10" by 3 1/2" Bundt
    9" by 3" tube
    10" by 2 1/2" springform

15 cups
    13" by 9" by 2" rectangular

16 cups
    10" by 4" tube

Exclamation

Don't forget any temperature/time change you'll need if you are also switching from metal to glass.
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

Whoa!! Thanks for all the info Everyone!!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson