Community Message Boards

Thread: A few strudel questions ...

Thumbs down A few strudel questions ...

Hey all,

I just have a few strudel questions as I am going to attempt to make my first one this coming weekend. It will also be my first time using phyllo pastry.

So, here goes!

(1) Can you freeze strudels? The recipes makes two. As I am only cooking for 2 people this will yield too much so I was hoping to freeze the 2nd one.

(2) If so, should I freeze it before putting it in the oven? Then when we are ready to eat it again, just put it in the oven frozen and bake for the recommended time?

(3) I did have another question but I can't remember it right now. Hopefully it will come to me.

I'm sure the ingredients will make a difference in the freezing method. I will probably do a chicken strudel. And the pastry is phyllo pastry.

(4) Ahhhh ... the question came back to me! What do you usually serve with a strudel? As I've said I will probably do a chicken strudel so I guess just a side of veggies? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    YP

I have recently been converted to phyllo (Since the Nov mushroom strudel recipe) and now use it all the time. Absolutely love it!

I would not recommend freezing an already cooked strudel. Phyllo doesn't even hold up in the fridge for next-day leftovers, so I can't imagine the freezer would be kind. You'd lose all the crispiness.

As for not-yet-cooked strudel, I don't know. Check the box to see if there's any indication. i was thinking that you can't refreeze phyllo once it's defrosted, but am not sure.

Whenever I serve a phyllo dish I usually try to serve really brightly colored side dishes. Sweet potatoes, big salad, green beans, roasted carrots, things like that.

There's a ton you can do with phyllo beyond standard strudels. I've wrapped fish in it and it comes out wonderfully (but tough to check for doneness!) and also made chili rellenos. Also last week tried a CL recipe for baked apples wrapped in phyllo. It makes an impressive but light and easy dessert.

Good luck.

thanks susan ...

I think you're right about not being able to refreeze phyllo ... I just don't want to waste the whole box ... is there any way I can just grab the 4 sheets of phyllo I need and keep the rest in the freezer?

YP

I have the same problem, as I'm just cooking for 2. it definitely keeps for a while in the fridge. After I open it and use a few sheets, I make sure there is plastic wrap on the bottom and top of the stack, roll it up tightly (but carefully), then put it inside a large ziploc bag. The box says to use within one week, but I've actually kept it in the fridge for probably 2 weeks and it seems to be just fine (heck it's only flour and water, so I'm not sure what can go "bad")

Whenever I open a box, though, we pretty much have a week-long phyllo fest. Every dinner has something or another wrapped in phyllo. Instead of a main dish, saute veggies, wrap it in phyllo and serve it as a side. I'm sure DH gets tired of it, but that's life. If you find you're not using it fast enough, definitely add more sheets to each recipe (CL's chix strudel may call for two sheets, but go wild and use 3 or 4 for each serving!:-)

Not sure of the brand of Phyllo you buy (I can only find Athens Foods here) but according to them, you can refreeze the phyllo, so I am sure you can freeze the strudel. I have made spanakopitas, baked them and then frozen them. Once reheated in the oven, they crisp up a bit.

Here is a link to their site www.athens.com

They have some recipes there as well.

thanks for the advice everyone ... I think I might risk baking it ... and then freezing it ... I've seen frozen dishes in the premade area of the grodery store using phyllo so it should turn out fine ... wish me luck!

yp

Definitely let us know how it goes. I'm skeptical of the frozen dinner/appetizers with phyllo, since I figure they have to add a lot of chemicals and junk to get the phyllo to bake right. That might not be the case. It would be great to have homemade spanikopita on a whim if I had it in my freezer.