Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Key Lime Pie

Freezing Key Lime Pie

I thought this had been discussed before, but couldn't come up with anything on a search. Kim made a great Key Lime Pie for our supper club, and it wound up coming home in my car. DH and I each decided we had to have a piece while cleaning the garage yesterday, but the other 3/4 sits in the fridge. I decided I'd like to take it to our CL BB picnic this weekend, but I thiink I need to freeze it to keep it that long. Has anyone tried freezing key lime pie? I know you can buy them frozen, but you never know what kind of stuff they have added to emulsify, bind and whatnot that would not be in a homemade pie. TIA

If the answer's no, that will be me waddling to the picnic!

I wouldn't freeze it...sorry, but I think it would mess up the consistency of the filling (the recipe I make, anyway...with the sweetened, condensed milk).

I would try...I'v had luck with Cheesecake....
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Since you have a split vote, why not freeze a piece tonight, thaw tomorrow and see what happens

I don't know if it will work, as those types of pies are best not refridgerated either. However, if it is a matter of freezing it, or throwing it out, I'd try to freeze it. Let us know how it works.

I'm not a freezing expert, but I don't especially think it will work. The idea of freezing one piece is a good one. Maybe you could share the pie?

I would freeze then eat it a bit frozen....doesnt that sound refreshing in this Texas heat?????
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

In the interest of science...

I put one piece in the freezer wrapped in plastic wrap. I took it out and let it thaw. And the verdict is....(drum roll, please)...it freezes just fine! The crust might be a little bit softer, but that would happen if it sat on the fridge too. Still tastes great, no separating, no change in texture. I call it a success!

WAHOOOO!!!
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

I *love* key lime pie, so I'll be first in line on Sunday!!

Amy

I realize that the original question has already been answered...but here's a thought...

Even if the pie separated when it was thawed, don't you think you could just sort of mix it up as you dished it out & call it Key Lime Pudding? Sounds very refreshing to me!

Re: In the interest of science...

Originally posted by Beth
    And the verdict is....(drum roll, please)...it freezes just fine

Yeah, so glad to hear this. I love Key Lime Pie, but after a day or two, I tire of it, so it's nice to know that I can make it and put half the pie in the freezer for later.
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller