Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Easy Stove-top Recipes

ISO: Easy Stove-top Recipes

My DH is on a contract in Portland OR for the next three months. He's staying in a hotel room that has a small kitchenette, with a micro, two-burner stove, and a fridge. I was wondering if anyone has any easy and light ideas of things he can cook. The only limitations are that he only has two saucepans, and two skillets. Also a few microwaveable dishes. I've given him the recipe for Heatherfeather's rice in the microwave, which he said came out great. He's also been making pasta with various toppings (olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, etc.)

He likes just about anything. He's fond of spicy food, but then he also really enjoys good "comfort" food too. Since he's not a very experienced cook, the easier the recipe is, the better.

TIA
    Laurie

Well there are always omlettes, but here are a few one-skillet ideas (all tried and true ):

Tuscan Skillet Supper

Spicy Black Beans

Jamaican Chicken Stew

Tuscan White Beans

The recipes are all on the CL recipe finder and so easy that even my DH can make them! Also, fajitas are simple and tasty.
    The way to become boring is to say everything.
    -- Voltaire

Risotto? I don't know if he'll think its too hard but its really not and makes a great, creamy, comfort food type meal. He can use canned broth, and he can keep parmesan (or whatever cheese) in the frig as well as any veggies he might want to use - and it can all be made in one pan on the stovetop and is easy. Its a great one pan meal.

Thumbs up

Laurie,

I have two ideas...

The first recipe is so good and easy. spicy too. the level of heat is easiily adjusted. and it would go great with the rice. It is even better warmed up on the second day.

The second recipe is great too. Sheer comfort food. And sooo easy peasy (pardon the pun).

Val

* Exported from MasterCook *

Curried Chickpeas and Black Beans

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dishes Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes -- undrained
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 15.5-ounce can black beans -- rinsed and drained
    1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas -- rinsed and drained
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and gingerroot; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder; cook an additional minute. Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute or until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Add salt, black beans, and chickpeas; stir well. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in fresh parsley and lemon juice. Serve warm.

CALORIES 258 (17% from fat); PROTEIN 13.3g; FAT 4.9g (sat 0.8g, mono1.3g, poly 2.2g); CARB 43.2g; FIBER 7.1g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 4.6mg; SODIUM 552mg; CALC 100mg

Cuisine:
    "Indian"
    Source:
    "Cooking Light Website"
    Yield:
    "4 c"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 288 Calories; 5g Fat (15.3% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 747mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES :
    this is really easy and very tasty. I used two HEAPING tablespoons of hot curry powder...just right.

Cozy Orzo

When I was a child, one of my favorite comfort foods was a dish my mother called noodles and cheese. Although it was just some plain pasta mixed with cottage cheese and a little sour cream, it had a magical calming effect on me. I make a slightly more adult version now, which is a little fancier, but equally comforting.

Recipe By :
    Categories : Pasta Side Dish
    Side Dishes Vegetarian

1 pound cottage cheese -- room-temperature
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup minced chives or scallions
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    Black pepper -- to taste
    1/2 pound orzo
    1 cup frozen peas
    Grated pecorino or parmesan cheese for
    the top

Combine the cottage cheese, salt, chives or scallions, lemon zest, and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl, and mix well.

Cook the orzo in plenty of rapily boiling water until it is tender. Place the peas in a colander in the sink, and drain the pasta right into the peas. (This will defrost the peas and cook them slightly). Shake off the excess water, transfer the orzo and peas to the cottage cheese mixture, and stir gently. Sprinkle with grated pecorino or parmesan, and serve warm or at room temperature, in bowls.

Yield: 4 to 5 servings
    Preparation time: 10 minutes

Source:
    "Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 342 Calories; 3g Fat (8.6% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 1039mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat.

my notes: this is really easy and soooo yummy. I used fat free cottage cheese, chives, and I omitted the lemon. it is good at room temperature but sooo much better hot. the heat does something to the flavor and texture -- somehow the whole dish becomes creamier, cheesier, and more tastyl as the flavors meld together.

I've posted this before, and I'm glad to do it again. We make it at least once a week.

Taco Rice Casserole
    (it's not really a casserole; I didn't come up with the name, my BF's mom gave it to us)

1lb ground turkey (or beef)
    1 cup uncooked rice
    1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added tomato sauce
    1 packet taco seasoning
    3/4 c water
    shredded cheese
    diced tomatoes
    diced avocado
    diced onions

Brown the turkey in a large skillet, drain off liquid. Add tomato sace, rice, water, and seasoning, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low (or it will burn!), cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked. Tope with cheese, tomatoes, avocados, and onions.

Notes: Sometimes I have to add more water after it's all been absorbed to get the rice to cook all the way. Just make sure you stir before doing it, because the bottom layer can get burned if it's on the heat for too long. I like to sprinkle ground chipotle pepper on mine, and pour taco sauce over the veggies.

This is also a good burrito filling.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Also, soups, stews and chili are good, and can often be frozen and reheated.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I don't know if either of these qualify as light, but we like them both, and they're quick and simple and taste good. I usually serve both with rice and steamed/stir fried broccoli--but corn on the cob would be good too. (Also, bad netiquette for me--I don't really recall whom I got these from....someone at Gail's swap, but I can't be more specific than that)

CHICKEN “SPARERIBS”

1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
    8-10 skinned chicken thighs
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper or a few drops Tabasco
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch (I needed more than this)
    1 Tbsp. water

Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the chicken thighs and brown lightly on all sides--6 to 7 minutes--turning frequently. Toward the end, add the garlic—just be sure not to let it burn. In a large bowl, combine the ˝ cup water, soy sauce, light brown sugar, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, red pepper and ginger. Add to chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, turning at least once. In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with the 1 Tbsp. water. Use this mixture to thicken the sauce. For a main dish, serve over rice or noodles.

This is also good with pork tenderloin, cut into 1 ˝” thick slices, substituted for the chicken.

Pork Chops in San Francisco Sauce

Pork tenderloin, extra fat trimmed off
    1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
    4 tbsp dry sherry or broth (I use Sherry)
    4 tbsp LOW SODIUM soy sauce
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    dash Tabasco or other red pepper sauce
    2 tbsp cold water
    2 tsp cornstarch

Slice tenderloin into 1 ˝” thick slices and brown on both sides, remove from pan and add garlic. Cook just until soft. and add pork back to pan. Make sauce from sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and red pepper sauce. Pour over pork. Cover and let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until pork is done. Combine cornstarch and water and add to sauce. Cook until thickened. Serve with rice, noodles, or couscous.

Sometimes I’ll double the sauce, just so there’s plenty to pour over the rice or noodles.

Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes! this ought to give him some new things to make for dinner. Plus, he'll have lots of yummy leftovers for lunches!

If anyone else out there has any good easy dinners for a poor DH far from home, please let me know! He and I will both appreciate it!

Laurie

Here are some more easy skillet "tried and true" from my home (not necessarily light though!).

Beef Stroganoff

Saute 1/2 cup chopped onions and 1 tsp. minced garlic in 3 tbsp butter until onions are translucent. Add in 1 pound ground beef and cook until brown throughout. Add in 2 tbsp flour, small jar of sliced mushrooms (4.5 oz) and salt & pepper to taste. Cook this for 5 mins. The flour absorbs all the grease and butter. Then add in 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup plus 1/2 can water. Cook this for 10 mins. Finally, add in 1 cup of sour cream and cook just until heated through. It can be served over noodles or rice, depending on preference.

---
    Stove-Top Tamale Pie
    Serves 4 to 6

1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (14-ounce) can black beans, undrained
    1/2 cup water
    1 (3-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
    1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
    1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup sliced scallion

1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring, until browned; drain fat.

2. Stir in the tomato sauce, black beans, water, chiles, and taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Prepare the corn muffin mix according to package directions. Drop small spoonfuls of batter over meat mixture (don't worry if there are some small uncovered spots). Cover and cook over medium heat until batter is cooked through, about 15 to 17 minutes.

4. Sprinkle with the cheese and scallions. Re-cover and cook over low heat until cheese melts, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Per serving, based on 6 servings: 675 calories, 38 grams protein, 77 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram sugar, 24 grams fat, 70 milligrams cholesterol, 1,235 milligrams sodium.

---

FRIJOLES BORRACHOS
    Serves: 6 or more
    The word borracho was a 19th century term for a drunkard, so this recipe's name literally means "drunken pinto beans." Simmering the pintos in beer, with lots of cilantro, results in a very special flavor.
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes or 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
    2 large scallions, chopped
    4 cups cooked pinto beans
    l/2 cup beer
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
    Salt to taste
    Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the tomatoes and scallions and saute over moderately low heat for 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir together, then simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes. If there's too much liquid in the skillet at this time, cook, uncovered, until it thickens up a bit. Serve hot.

---
    ZESTY TOMATO MAC'N BEEF

Time to serve: 15 MINUTES 4 servings
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 can (14-1/2 oz.) DEL MONTE® Zesty Diced Tomatoes with Jalapeno Peppers
    1 cup (4 oz.) elbow macaroni
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese

Brown meat and onion in large skillet; drain. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add undrained tomatoes and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Stir in macaroni. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until cooked. Stir in cheese. Garnish with sliced green onions and sour cream, if desired.
    (Got this one from my mom who got it from the Del Monte web site: http://www.delmonte.com. There are lots of skillet recipes there under entrees.)

~Susan~

Here's a very simple potato dish that we love and it's really good even though it may sound weird.

One Pan Potatoes and Chicken Teriyaki

Recipe By :Potato Advertisiment
    Categories : Potatoes Poultry

4 medium potatoes -- cut in wedges
    3/4 pound chicken breast -- skinned and boned
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1/2 cup green onions -- sliced
    1/4 cup teriyaki sauce

1. Cut potatoes into thin wedges; microwave for 10-12 minutes.

2. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch slices; brown in hot oil over high heat for 5 minutes. Add potatoes; saute and toss until potatoes are lightly browned. Add onions and teriyaki sauce; toss until heated through.

4 servings

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 253 Calories; 9g Fat (31.0% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 742mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

Tried the Tuscan Skillet Supper and thought it was delicious. Used it as my vegetable side, made garlicky chicken breasts as the main dish. Will definitely do again. Yummy!

Laurie how is he at winging it? My DH= make beans and rice all the time. He basically browns some smoked sausage in a skillet with some onion and tomato paste, adds whatever kind of canned beans we have on hand (I like black beans), a can of chopped tomato, some cooked rice and seasonings.

If he didn't appreciate your cooking before, he will now!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

just thought I would point out that this thread is almost a year old. so I don't think Laurie's DH will be needing more recipes.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh37

CHICKEN “SPARERIBS”

1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
    8-10 skinned chicken thighs
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper or a few drops Tabasco
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch (I needed more than this)
    1 Tbsp. water

Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the chicken thighs and brown lightly on all sides--6 to 7 minutes--turning frequently. Toward the end, add the garlic—just be sure not to let it burn. In a large bowl, combine the ˝ cup water, soy sauce, light brown sugar, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, red pepper and ginger. Add to chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, turning at least once. In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with the 1 Tbsp. water. Use this mixture to thicken the sauce. For a main dish, serve over rice or noodles.

This is also good with pork tenderloin, cut into 1 ˝” thick slices, substituted for the chicken.

Do you think this could work in a crockpot? It reminds me of Claire 797's chicken recipe.

I was going to start a thread nearly identical to this one. We will be vacationing for ten days in a place where the only cooking option I will have is an electric skillet and an electric tea kettle for boiling water. I really need healthy "one skillet" recipes to make for my family. Please keep the ideas coming ! Breakfast, lunch, dinner...I need inspiration for it all !

Originally posted by valchemist
    just thought I would point out that this thread is almost a year old. so I don't think Laurie's DH will be needing more recipes.
    LOL! We can't pull one over on you now can we!?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

I know this is an old thread, but I had a question about the Tuscan Skillet Supper recipe mentioned. This recipe sounds great, I love all the ingredients in it. But, what do you usually serve with it? Pasta? Rice? Polenta? Help?

Thanks, Tara

By the way, for those of you who don't know this recipe, here it is...

Tuscan Skillet Supper
    Like an Italian vegetable stir-fry with spinach, beans, cheese and rosemary.
    Published: Cooking Light- 06/01/98

INGREDIENTS
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped zucchini
    1/2 cup sliced onion
    1/2 cup sliced celery
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup diced tomato
    1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    2 rosemary sprigs
    1 cup chopped spinach
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and next 5 ingredients (zucchini through garlic); saute 2 minutes. Stir in tomato, beans, and rosemary; cook 2 minutes. Stir in spinach and remaining ingredients; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts and cheese begins to melt. Discard rosemary.

YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/4 cups)

NUTRITIONAL INFO
    calories: 205 carbohydrates: 27.1 g cholesterol: 8 mg fat: 6.7 g sodium: 932 mg protein: 11.4 g calcium: 170 mg iron: 3.4 mg fiber: 4.8 g

Sounds like a one-dish meal to me. I wouldn't worry about seerving anything elsse except maybe a crusty loaf of peasant bread.

I might serve a big salad, to provide a texture/taste contrast as well as more vegetables. (One cup of uncooked spinach for 4 people is more like a garnish than like a vegetable!) And as Val suggested, I'd also serve some nice crusty bread.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Originally posted by Ohioan
    I might serve a big salad, to provide a texture/taste contrast as well as more vegetables. (One cup of uncooked spinach for 4 people is more like a garnish than like a vegetable!)
    what about the zucchini, bell pepper, and tomatoes? don't they count for anything?

but of course a salad would be fine, too.