Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you put in the 3rd canister?

What do you put in the 3rd canister?

My King Arthur post made me think of an interesting question.....What do you guys put in the 3rd canister in your kitchen? My DF just bought me some really cute canisters and I plan on putting sugar in one, flour in the other, and I'm not sure what in the third. I've noticed that other people tend to either leave the third one empty or they put a mis-match of stuff in there. Just curious what all of you do.....I'm thinking of putting either whole wheat flour or bread flour in there.

I have tupperware canisters that seal really well. I use canisters 3 and 4 to store brown sugar in one and garlic and shallots in the other.
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

Mine are filled with flour, sugar, rice and instant mashed potatoes. When the potatoes are gone I will probably put in my brown sugar....
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

I'd just put in whatever you use often. For me, I have one for flour, one for white sugar, and one for brown sugar.
    "I never feel lonely in the kitchen. Food is very friendly." - Julia Child

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing - putting in whatever I use most often. I was just curious as to what others do (I'm curious about weird things )

I have alot of canister in my kitchen. Here are some things that I keep. couscous, bread flour (as well as flour), pasta, cornmeal, salt and cereal. Of course I buy all of this bulk so I need something to put it in.

Anne

My third canister that sits on the counter is really quite small so I keep all the little utensils I use regularly in it. Such as small whisk, small wooden spoons, little spatulas, etc. Works out well for me and I don't have to hunt around in the drawer for them.

Generally, I keep brown sugar in that third cannister. But I've also been known to fill it with chocolate chips or nuts or tea bags, depending on where I'm currently keeping the cannisters.

Lately, I've been on an "anti-cannister" tirade. I've gotten rid of all the small sized cannisters and replaced them with bigger ones. FINALLY, I have the right sizes to accomodate both my unbleached and whole wheat flour, my crystallized and powdered sugars, and my brown sugar (a whole bag!!)...

I have coffee in my third canister because it has an airtight seal on the lid.

I also have coffee in the third canister. So does my mom.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

From largest to smallest I keep Rice, Flour, sugar and Brown sugar.

I do wish I had more canisters, but I wouldnt have the counter space to keep them.

Terri

From largest to smallest, I have flour, sugar, coffee, and powdered sugar.

This is such an interesting thread! I have a new one: I use my third canister for yellow cornmeal. I make a lot of corn bread.

I use my third canister for tea. I have a fourth one but it is so small I don't use it at all.

3rd canister= brown sugar
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

I have the heavy glass canisters (LOVE LOVE LOVE) and have four on my counter and about three on a high shelf on the wall. The four on the counter have: Flour, White sugar, Brown suger (I put brown sugar on everything), and vanilla sugar. The ones on my shelf have whole wheat flour, self-rising flour, bread machine flour, ummm I think that is all. I have smaller ones in my cupboard which I put cornmeal, self-rising cornmeal, powdered sugar, couscous, etc. in. Some people use the third canister to put tea bags or coffee beans in, or equal packets if you are an avid equal user.

oooh rice is a good idea, I have mine in a burlap-type bag but since I use it so frequently I think it will have to go canister style! thanks terri-lynn.

Largest cannister: Cookie Jar
    Middle cannister: Flour
    Smallest cannister: Sugar

Lara, that's great that you use it as a cookie jar!

I actually have a single clear canister (along with the three cute ones I just got) that I use to put my honey whole wheat pretzels from Trader Joe's in. I munch on them all day long cause of the easy access!

Cool thread;

BUT I have FOUR canisters:

Large Canister: Flour
    Medium-Large Canister: Sugar
    Medium Canister: Either brown sugar or rice
    Small Canister: Tea Bags (they have air tight seals) or hot chocolate

However, I often get fed up with filling the flour one because its messy so sometimes it stays empty for a while

DH bought me a gorgeous handpainted set of ceramic canisters for Christmas of 2000 (that I picked out at the fair... ) and even though they take up way too much room on my limited counter, I cannot give them up! When placed side by side they form an outdoor scene complete with lightning, and I love the look! I keep my flour and rice in tupperware containers in the cabinet, but my first two canisters hold the 'little' stuff that are always cluttering my cabinets like a half bag of nuts or chocolate chips, or bags of sun-dried tomatoes. My third canister is filled with tea bags, and my smallest canister is filled with Sweet 'n Low packets!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I have 4 glass canisters in a rotating plate 2 are large 2 smaller. I keep sugar and rice in the big ones and cornstarch and tea bags in the smaller ones.

I have a homemade combination of seasoning spices I concocted that I use for meat, fish, and vegetables. I make 2 cups at a time and store in my smallest cannister.

I never thought of putting brown sugar in a canister! Does it stay soft? I have a kitchen-aid cupboard with a built in flour sifter, so my white flour is in there. I keep my whole-wheat and rye flours in the freezer. The biggest canister has all the half-used bags of barley, brown rice, wild rice, etc. The next size has white sugar, the third has tea bags, and the fourth has kosher salt. I love being able to grab a pinch of salt for cooking. Am I the only one who keeps salt in the smallest canister?

I keep kosher salt in my smallest canister also.

I don't have a canister set on my counter. It would take up too much space on my small counters, and I have way more than 3! I've got the Tupperware Modular Mates and have ones for: flour, bread flour, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, cornmeal, white sugar, and brown sugar. And I still need to get some more.

Largest to smallest: flour, sugar, salt, pepper.

In my three big canisters I have sugar, flour, and wholemeal flour (since I buy these in larger sizes and use them all the time). And then to all the smaller ones - pasta, salt, brown sugar, breadcrumbs, bayleaves, couscous, oatbran, oatmeal.....

And now I'm very hungry.

I have four cannisters, handmade by my husband's aunt in Austraila. I use the "third" cannister for loose leaf tea, and the fourth....sorry about this, but it is for "lollies" or candy as you say in the USA....nonfat variety of course.

Great question! I also never thought of using a canister for brown sugar and will do that. Currently my three Tupperware canisters contain:

Large: King Arthur flour
    Medium: Leftover bags of chocolate chips or baking squares
    Small: White sugar

On another note, do you know that you should store NUTS in the freezer? It keeps them from getting rancid. Someone also told me to freeze flour if it isn't used right away.
    Amy

i want to run home and see if my canisters are airtight or not! what a neat thread idea i have the tupperware canisters in the pantry for flour, a set that matches my dishes on a spinning rack in my cabinents with sugar and tea bags but.... my mom just gave me her old canister set that is beautiful so i have it out but it's not convenient to where i cook so right now they're empty. but what a help it would be to store infrequently used things like my dried beans or brown sugar....
    cheryl