Community Message Boards

Thread: Why are birds singing at midnight?!

Why are birds singing at midnight?!

It's almost 12:30 a.m. and there have been birds (think it's two) chirping in my neighbor's yard for over ten minutes. I mean really singing. I don't usually even hear them in broad daylight, so why the heck are they singing their hearts out in the middle of the night? V strange....

Very funny, because we also have a bird that sings most of the night...it is VERY loud!
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

It must be the end of the world! Ok, I'm just kidding, I have no idea, maybe they are just happy.?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Is the weather feeling like spring in San Fran ('cause it's definitely NOT here in IN)? If so, maybe they're just feeling a little, um, frisky.......

Confusion?
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Cool

...maybe they're European?

My inlaws have one of those clocks that has a different bird chirp for each hour ... any way, we were visiting and decided to take a little stroll to look at the moon around eleven o'clock p.m. (how do I know? The bird on the clock was chirping eleven) We went outside and heard the exact same birdcall from a real bird! I am kicking myself that I forgot to go back and check the clock to see what kind of bird it was that chirped at night.

I told DH this past week (he has worked nights) that I heard birds singing at night. Of course (men!) he said "no way". Wel I ran some research this morning about it this is what I found
    northern mockingbird, northern cardinal, common grackle, blue jay, tufted titmouse, Carolina wren, limpkin, chuck-wills-widow, owls, and American crow are the species most frequently accused of causing problems by calling and singing at night and very early in the morning
    Habitat:
    urban, suburban, and rural
    Bird Sounds:
    birds make 2 different kinds of sounds-calls and songs.
    calls are brief sounds without a pattern. Calls are generally concerned with coordinating behaviors such as flocking, feeding, and reactions to predators.
    songs are a longer series of notes in a pattern. Each species has its own unique song which usually functions to announce territories and to attract mates. There are many individual variations of each species' song.
    mockingbirds, crows, and blue jays can mimic other species' calls and songs.

Why Birds Call at Night:
    reaction to disturbance
    reaction to a predator such an owl or cat
    some species (e.g. limpkin and chuck-wills-widow) typically call only at night

Why Birds Sing at Night:
    street and security lights make bird think it is dawn and time to announce its territory

Originally posted by Gail
    ...maybe they're European?
    or African?
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Well isn't that interesting! So not as crazy as it seemed. I'd thought they were singing, but maybe those were "calls" - there are certainly a lot of raccoons and cats around to disturb them.