Community Message Boards

Thread: Oh where have all the chipmunks gone?

Oh where have all the chipmunks gone?

I am curious. Last spring, our first in NH we had hundreds of chipmunks skittering around the outside of our home. They we so blasted busy gathering food that you could practically step on them. And they chattered so much it drove me batty. This spring not a peep or a sighting of these critters. I am wondering if there was a chipmunk plague or if they've moved on to other hunting grounds? Any chipmunk experts who might be able to shed some light????

Hmm... not sure what it could be. My chipmunk family is still living in front of my house, in our rock wall. Still, I've only ever seen 2 or 3 out at a time, not as many as you've seen. And I'm a bit further south than you are (CT shoreline).

Re: Oh where have all the chipmunks gone?

I believe under my front porch! There must be a dozen treating it like a condo!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Peggy, perhaps we are the same person. I don't have chipmunks under my porch, but there sure are alot of them in our yard! They like to hang out under the shed along with the groundhogs (yuck!!!).

I'm out near Portsmouth NH and we have plenty of chippies running around here. I had the bottom fall off one of my feeders yesterday and all the seed dumped out in a pile on the ground. Chipmunks have been hanging out there all day, chomping away at this easy food supply. Also saw my first rose breasted grosbeaks and orioles of the season today! Has there been a lot of development in your area lately? We are in an established neighborhood with a protected salt marsh in our backyard and seem to have the same amount of wildlife as when we moved in 10 years ago.

They are all probably still at their little chipmunk party....celebrating outsmarting my cat last week.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Originally posted by lhall
    They are all probably still at their little chipmunk party....celebrating outsmarting my cat last week.

Leigh
    Poor Vlad, but you might be onto something!

Mrs. Reber that is weird, I don't think I have a split personality. Has anyone ever seen us together?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Cool AL-vinnnnn!

Perhaps they've gotten a new recording contract.