Community Message Boards

Thread: Butterfly pork chop question

Hybrid View

Butterfly pork chop question

This is such a lame question . . . but is it possible to bake pork chops? I'd like to try the Hoisin and Bourbon recipe from this month, but it's already a little too hot for grilling at dinner time here. At least for me (NW transplant!).

TIA!
    “The moment you wake up each morning, all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving it all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.”
    - C. S. Lewis

Yup, go for it! Bake at 375 or higher, for short period of time. Although, baking has got to be hotter to do than grilling, isn't it??? Or am I missing something?

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Originally posted by Chefzhat
    Although, baking has got to be hotter to do than grilling, isn't it??? Or am I missing something?

Debie
    I don't presume to speak for ajkerkhoff , but I'm assuming she has air conditioning - it's much cooler to bake in an a/c house than grill on the back deck .

Baked Pork Chops

I haven't tried the May hosin and bourban glaze yet, but its almost warm enough to grill here. For baking, I would use thick chops, salt and pepper them, and first sear them in a very hot pan so they are nice and brownish. I would then pop them in a very hot oven for a few minutes and baste every now and then with the glaze. I do think that this would be just as hot on the cook as standing over a grill outside for a few minutes.

Oh gawd, I just realized that poor girl lives in Texas - I'll take my shoe out of my mouth now!!!! I'll bet baking in the a/c is MUCH cooler!

I forget that not everyone lives in frigid Michigan - where it's still only 40 degrees!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I've breaded (using no egg) and baked them for 20 minutes at 400F. Unfortunately, its the only way my kids will eat them.

It would help if you have a probe meat thermometer so that you can be sure not to bake them too long. 160º is the internal temp for pork.

And it is extremely hot here for May (last 2 weeks in April as well)!Yesterday it reached 98º for the third or fourth day in a row-I quit counting! And no rain down here since April 9th. Can you say DROUGHT?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!