Community Message Boards

Thread: what's up with the CL renewal prices?

what's up with the CL renewal prices?

i certainly don't want to strike a bad chord here, but i guess i am just a little puzzled here and need to vent!

for the past 3 years, i've paid $16 for a year of CL.

i just got a renewal notice saying another year is going to cost $22.

but on CL's site, you can get a 'new' subscription for $18.

AND, a friend of mine subscribed for just $10/year.

i think $22 is probably still a good value for all the recipes and everything that i get from CL, but i feel like why should i pay $22 if i've always paid $16... and more importantly, why should i pay $22 if my friend only paid $10!?!?!

so does everyone else think this is a little annoying, or is it just me? i know i've seen threads on this before, so i don't mean to stir up any trouble , but like i said above, i needed to vent!

marisa

Interesting. My subscription lapsed (because CL never sent me a renewal, but that's another story). When I called to renew, they signed me up for another year for $18. That's the same price I've paid for the last two gift subscriptions I've bought for friends. $10 is a really good deal - how did she swing that? If you can find out, it sounds like it'd even be worth it to let your subscription lapse, buy one issue off the newsstand, and get a year for $10.

And the renewal notice that came with my latest issue is also for $22/year. It says it's my "last chance - reply today," though my subscription doesn't expire until November! Plus, I'll get a free gift, the Little Book of Favorite Recipes.

Don't try to hunt down and shoot me but... a few months ago, I received an opportunity to renew at "the employee price" of $10.00 if I acted by a certain date. I was a bit skeptical because I did not receive the issue that month. Not being one to look the gift horse in the mouth, I took them up on it.

Last year, they kept hounding me starting in December when my subscription expired in May. Go figure.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

May was my last issue and I have yet to extend my subscription because I'm annoyed at the price. I get an offer in the mail for a "special" renewal price and it's the same as the subscription card in the magazine. Came to the web site looking for a better deal and it was $22 here also.

I think it's $16 if you order your subscription through Amazon.com.

If you wait to renew until you start getting final notices and final final notices, the renewal price is 18 instead of 22. This irks me, too. It's like they're saying, "thanks for being our customer! Renew early and pay $4 more!"

Hmmmph.

A new subscription from the website is $18.

If you go to the subscriber services area and renew, here's what you get:

Preferred Subscriber Rate: 11 issues @ $37.00. YOU SAVE 50%.

Marisa

Try sending CL an email about the subscription price. I tried to renew online at the "special online price" which turned out to be $37. Here is what their online sales pitch looks like:
    Renew your COOKING LIGHT subscription online and get our EXCLUSIVE INTERNET DISCOUNT. It's easy, fast, and saves you money! Confirm the information below, and we'll take care of the rest! To make address changes, click here.

Confirm my order and keep me posted on COOKING LIGHT news via email.
    Preferred Subscriber Rate:11 issues @ $37.00. YOU SAVE 50%.
    I sent an email asking why their special online price was so high when my annual renewal was only $22, and when they were also offering subscriptions online for $18. They sent back a message saying it was common practice to test "different" rates, and telling me to send my instructions for a different rate. I requested a one-year renewal at $18, and they gave it to me.

Next year, maybe I should hold out for $10. It is a little frustrating that long-term subscribers don't get the same price break as a new subscriber. I had read on other threads about people who renewed through a middle-man at a cheaper rate as well. I have been a subscriber since 1996 and really enjoy the magazine. $22 does not seem unreasonable until you find out that others are able to pay less. And, of course, without the BB, most of us would not know what anyone was paying.

Wendy, did you get something in the mail offering the $10 price? I know I got Cook's Illustrated at a lower price when I didn't renew last year. I got a special offer by phone which I jumped on.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I got my "last chance" renewal for $22 in the mail yesterday and I chuckled all the way to the garbage can. Many of you know my trials and tribulations with my subscription. Well, its again after the 7th of the month and like usual, no magazine. I didn't see it last month until the 21st! They can keep their subscription and put it where the sun doesn't shine (can you tell I'm a bit peeved here). I've been a subscriber for around 10 years and I'm tired of being treated like crap.

I won't be renewing this year (and by the way, my subscription isn't up until November either) and definitely won't be resubscribing at least until we move back to the mainland. I don't have this problem with any of my other magazines, only CL.

I am so discouraged by the horrible delivery service that I seldom post on the Good Food board anymore. Its kind of depressing when you finally get your magazine only to see that people are already receiving their NEXT month's issue.

Thanks for letting me vent!
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

I don't know if you guys saw it, but I posted on the Food board a few weeks ago that I found a free CL subscription offer on Dole Fruit n Juice bars. It just takes 3 UPC's, and since DH and I suck down Fruit n Juice bars all summer, that will be easy for us to manage. Check out your freezer section at the grocery store!

I can't believe they tried to get $37 for a subscription - that is really outrageous.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

The Dole offer takes 4-6 weeks. I just sent it in and a few days after reieved my "last" chance for renewal at 18 for 1 year 29 for 2 years and $40 for three years. I havent decided if I'll get a renewal or just buy offf the newstand until the dole subscription kicks in.
    "Feelin' Guilty
    For finding a Cheerio in my bra and then going ahead and eating it." Dooce

I can't remember exactly what the rate is, but my DS's middle school ALWAYS does magazine subscriptions for the annual fall fundraiser, and one of my nieces renews my CL subscription through the fundraiser as an early Christmas present for me. We ALWAYS follow the instructions -- include the mailing label from the CL magazine -- to get a renewal instead of a new subscription, and I ALWAYS have overlapping subscriptions. This year, it was a three issue overlap!!! The rate is really inexpensive, though. I'm sure she's not paying more than $18 a year for the renewal. And I do think CL sends at least two issues beyond your subscription if it's lapsed, so it probably "works out" in the end. I've made my mother and friends happy by giving them my extra copies!

I just got my $22 last-chance renewal notice and am so irked I may drop my subscription altogether. I subscribed to Bon Appetit for something like $12. At CL's price, I'd rather wait for the CL yearbook on the year(s) I miss - and buy it at a discount bookstore for less than $22. A better deal in my view than getting ripped off with my annual subscription renewal.

CL needs to get its act together and give subscribers a little special treatment. All I ask is for a fair renewal price. I'll pay $18; I won't pay $22.

Try Delta Publishing...1-800-SAVE-SAVE. It's $11.95.

I bought a gift subscription for $10- from CL. In August of last year, I bought a gft subscription for $18, and they kept mailing me offers to buy other GS but I never did. In December they sent me something that I could give them at $10. I jumped. I wish they would have let me renew at that price.

The last time I subscribed I got a "3 years for $40" rate, which expires in June '03. I always call the subscription # and get their lowest price. Sometimes, it does pay to whine!!!

Also, I'm waiting for "Eating Well" to start up. They sent me info that it will be a year for $16.95. but I'm sure that you can deal on that price if you call. Lately, CL hasn't seemed to be printing the kinds of recipes/articles that I want...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

well, i just wanted to update you all on my renewal dilemma!

i called CL and politely explained the situation to them. they said they'd renew me for $16 (the price i've paid in past years). then i told them i'm probably going to let my subscription lapse and start again the way my friend did for $10, unless they could give me that deal too. so they said ok, and it cost me just $10 to renew.

i debated on whether or not i should tell you this, because i don't want people to get angry if they paid the $22. it doesn't really seem like a fair process at all, and that kind of bothers me.

DH told me to tell them i wanted to renew for $5 or even for free. he figured they'd probably say ok. i wasn't that gutsy!

but thanks for all your input. now i am happily a subscriber for another year! (now, where the heck am i going to KEEP all these issues - i'm running out of space! )

marisa