Community Message Boards

Thread: Subbing oil with apple sauce/butter

Subbing oil with apple sauce/butter

Are there are rules when subbing oil with apple sauce/butter? I am making some muffins and was thinking of substituting the oil with either of the apple products, just to make it a tad healthier.

Also, which would be better? The sauce or butter?

One more thing, should the strain the apple sauce?

Thanks.
    YP

It's a one-to-one conversion - 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup oil. Whether you strain it/let it drain is up to you. I haven't and it works fine, but I know some people here do that, plus when CL did their article on Don Mauer he said he strains his applesauce.

I have also heard, but don't know if it's true, that you can only do this for up to 1 cup of butter/oil. I'm not sure I've made too many things that call for more than 1 cup of either anyway.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

yeah ... its just 1/3 cup of oil ... would you use the sauce or butter? ... i think the butter is much sweeter ...

I've heard you get the best results if you only sub for half of the oil---so theoretically you would use 1/6 oil and 1/6 applesauce.

I'd vote for the sauce rather than the butter, I think.

thanks mightyn ... I think I'll try that ... who knows ... my muffins tend to be a flop regardless ...

yp

Personally, up to a cup of oil I always sub drained applesauce. If it's over a cup, I do a cup of drained applesauce and the rest in oil. Remember that you don't measure your applesauce until after it's drained. It can take as much as 1 cup of applesauce to make a half cup of drained, there's that much water in it! Put it in a mesh strainer over a small bowl and give it a stir every 5 minutes or so for about 15 minutes.

Applebutter in my opinion is too sweet to use as an oil sub.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

thanks jewel ... i will strain it i think ... and will not use the apple butter ... the one i have got is very very sweet so i think it would be too much ...

yp