Community Message Boards

Thread: raw eggs left out overnight

Question raw eggs left out overnight

Do these need to be thrown out? They were out of the refrigerator for about 12 hours.

Thanks,
    Lynda

Were they in the shell or not? In the shell, they may be OK. If you have cracked the eggs, throw them out. Make sure, if you use the eggs that they are in something that is thoroughly cooked.

Sami

They were in the shell- think they are OK?

They are OK. A day at room temperature equals a week in the refrigerator, so they should be used up pretty fast.

I once left some eggs out overnight, so I checked my references on the subject, and that's what they said. I'm still alive

Just took a look at the web page of an egg producer ( http://www.burnbraefarms.com/ ) and this is what they have to say:

It is important to refrigerate eggs, but if a dozen is left out for a few days, then be sure to cook it fully, and this will kill any harmful bacteria that may develop. This would mean scrambling, hardboiling or using them in baking, instead of sunnyside up. The yolk should not be runny.

So you can even use raw eggs that have been left out for a few days. Interesting.

Luiza, THANK YOU!! You saved me a trip to the grocery store

When I lived in Mexico all the stores sold eggs nonrefrigerated. I at least bought eggs in an airconditioned store.
    Of course, that's one reason I no longer live in Mexico. I hated it, but never got sick.

It's the same way in Europe. They sell them unrefrigerated, and I find them sitting on people's kitchen counters in their homes, not in the fridge. Although they tend to go shopping every day/every other day and only buy small quantities (hence the tiny refrigerators), but I never asked anyone how long the eggs are good for? 24 hours though, definitely.

wow. you learn something new everyday. if I were Geckogirl, I would have just assumed the eggs were bad and thrown them out.

chalk this up as one more thing I learned on the BB.

hey, do you think I should dredge up that old thread? it's not a poll, but I can still dredge it, right?

val