Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with lasagna??? HELP!

Question What to serve with lasagna??? HELP!

I am having people over for dinner tomorrow night. I am planning on making a spinach lasagna. What else can I serve with it? I had planned on salad and bread but I think I still need something else. Any thoughts????

I think a refreshing green or some other light salad goes well with lasagna. I think you're all set with a salad and bread. My SO is a big mozarella fan, so we alwasy have garlic cheese bread with lasagna. But if you don't want to be all cheesed out, garlic bread is great with lasagna. Wine would be good too. I also think that a sorbet would be nice for dessert.

Guest Guest
    I also would go with a salad and good bread. Steamed or sauteed vegetables would also go nicely with lasagne. I also think crudites and olives would work well for a starter.

But why serve anything with the lasagne? It's a stand-alone dish, which will lose impact if you start making additions. A better way is to serve a vegetable first - (and remembering that my veg suggestions are Brit - you'll have others) - maybe asparagus with hollandaise, or some lovely tiny green beans with butter and lemon - then the lasagne - then a really super, fresh green salad with a good vinaigrette (not too much lemon or vinegar) along with a couple of good cheeses. Then your pudding.

(Actually, reviewing what I've written, this is a very French way of eating - but with an Italian main course. Good example of sort-of fusion cooking!)

I would also recommend a nice salad with garlic bread. It's a nice, light addition to the hearty lasagne. Very filling. Last time I did lasagne I served it with a simply snow pea salad. Very nice.

YP

I vote for salad & bread as well. If you don't want to serve a salad, maybe some steamed broccoli. Personally, I think lasagna is pretty filling & never want much else. Oh, I know what you really need is some wine, a nice Italian wine would be the perfect addition!
    Mary Ann

Don't know if this goes together or it's just me???? Everytime I serve a lasagna, I also serve a big garden salad to start. With the lasagna I serve homemade coleslaw. It just seems to go?? I'll post the recipe for the coleslaw if you like. It is SO GOOD!!

Patti

Serve it with a luscious coleslaw! To serve it with lasagne I just use green and Napa cabbages, sliced into shreds with a knife, and tossed with a dressing of 1/3 mayo, 1/3 milk, and 1/3 vinegar. Use skim milk, reduced-fat mayo, and some sort of wine or champagne vinegar. It's yummy! If you're really daring, pile some coleslaw on top of the lasagne on your plate. Don't forget the sourdough or garlic bread...

I may be a little late with this but this is great with Italian food and very versatile. This has to be one of my all time favorite salads.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Antipasto Salad (from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    CHOOSE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
    artichoke hearts -- drained and quartered
    roasted red peppers -- sliced
    cooked beans-garbanzos, lupini, or
    canellini -- rinsed and drained
    pickled eggplant -- drained and chopped
    olives (black Gaeta, Calamata, Liguria, or
    green Sicilian)
    fresh tomatoes -- sliced or cut into wedges
    red onion -- thinly sliced or minced
    cheese (sliced fresh mozzarella, crumbled
    feta, cubed, Bel Paese, or shaved
    Parmesan)
    croutons
    capers -- rinsed and drained
    extra virgin olive oil
    fresh lemon juice
    freshly ground black pepper
    salad greens (romaine, arugula,
    watercress, shredded radicchio or torn
    pale inner leaves of escarole)

Slice, dice, or otherwise prepare the ingredients you've chosen according to your taste. On a large platter-on a bed of greens if you like-arrange the ingredients in rows. Capers might be sprinkled on roasted red pepper strips, red onions on tomatoes, and celery mixed in with the beans. Drizzle everything with olive oil and lemon juice and top with black pepper.

Or, if you choose to serve the salad without greens, toss everything in a colorful jumble in a large serving bowl. Best served at room temperature.

Prepared without lettuce and tomatoes, this salad will keep, refrigerated, for a week.

Description:
    "attractive and tasty Italian style salad good as side or maindish"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories
    from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
    0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .

NOTES : With a crusty peasant bread and a glass of red wine, this dish can
    be a satisfying meal in itself or can served an an impressive
    first course followed by a simple pasta.

Choose as many or as few of suggested ingredients as you like. If there's no jar of capers in your refrigerator, no matter. If the fresh tomatoes at the market are unappealing, forget them. No time to make croutons? It'll be fine without. Try adding cheese,toasted pine nuts, chopped fresh green herbs, or hot pepper flakes when they're handy.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the salad and crusty garlic bread. I did add spinach to the lasagne though.