Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze roasted pumpkin?

Question Can you freeze roasted pumpkin?

Here is a puzzler. I bought a couple of "pie pumpkins" for various uses (soup, pies, etc.) and they are still sitting outside, but in good shape. Just found out that I get to Maui for a week (Oh, how I do suffer!) and will not have time to cook with them before I go. Does anyone know if I can roast them, cut out the "meat" and freeze it?

Here's what the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery says:

Pumpkin
    To Freeze: Boil or steam. Mash. Cool. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal. Can be kept up to one year.

Now this book was written in 1966 (and it's a fifth printing copy I have) so I'm thinking that as long as the pumpkin is cooked and sealed properly that even roasted should freeze.

Beth, I have cooked the pumpkin meat, mashed it and then froze it, either in freezer bags or containers. It worked great.
    Good Luck! Wienie

Beth Y - I agree with the above methods for freezing but let's get back to "Just found out that I get to Maui for a week ", we have to know how that happened! Is it job related? I know that business travel isn't what it is thought to be or is it a vacation- which we can all be so jealous? Anyway, have a great time! I think that roasting might dry it out, so I believe that boiling or steaming might be better! Let us know how your trip was, as we will all still be in the trenches working!! :*) Just kidding!

Hubby is going for work and staying at the Grand Wailea (rated one of the top 10 resorts in the world!) and we thought we couldn't afford to send me and the 2 year old. However, we found out that American had our frequent flyer miles wrong on our last statement! (Finally decided to actually call and double check). I just stopped working 5 months ago, so now, other than money, I have no excuse not to travel with him when I can. He is in Osaka Japan now and I am meeting him in Maui. Trust me, it sounds glamourous, but he gets tired of it. In my job, I got about one good trip to a convention a year, otherwise, it was all in state, yuk!