Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I refreeze thawed puff pastry shells?

Can I refreeze thawed puff pastry shells?

I always have the bag boy put the frozen and fridge stuff in plastic bags at the grocery store (I separate the stuff for him---I'm not TOO demanding) so that if I am in a huge rush to go somewhere else when I get home, I can unpack the perishable stuff and leave the rest in paper bags to unpack later. Tonight, when I was unpacking the paper bag stuff, I found my frozen puff pastry shells (I've been craving lobster thermidor that I haven't made since Christmas Eve) at the bottom of the bag. They had been out for hours. I stuck them in the freezer right away, but wonder if I need to throw them out or if they will work okay after refreezing. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

I'm not a puff pastry expert -- but, I do bake pies. I've defrosted pie dough, thinking I was going to make a pie the next day - and then I didn't...and have refrozen the pie crust. It seemed to be just fine when I did eventually use it.
    Hope that helps...maybe a little??
    Ann

Puff pastry shells are too expensive to throw away!! I'd give it a try. I am no expert on dough but I know that I always somewhat thaw the puff pastry sheets & then break off what I need & re-toss the rest back in the fridge. I've never noticed a problem, but they also aren't thawed all the way.
    Plus, I'm guessing that flavor wouldn't really be altered - maybe just how puffy they get?

You're both right. They are at least worth a try. (I'll try them on DH before I try them on anyone else). Will let you know how they turn out....when I try them!