Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you serve your turkey?

Question How do you serve your turkey?

I started thinking about all the movies and magazine pictures where a beautifully roasted whole turkey is carved and served at the table.

I'm just wondering.....does anybody really serve turkey this way? Personally, I carve my turkey before the dinner (usually separating the white from the dark meat), pour turkey stock over the slices to keep them moist, then serve the platters of already sliced turkey at the table. Although it would be impressive to bring a golden-brown 25# turkey to the table, I think it's totally impractical for my family.

How do you serve your turkey?

Smile

I actually have my smoked and bbq"D. Then everyone sees it in the kitchen (if they chose)and my husband carves it and puts the pieces on a platter to serve!

YUM!

Kim

Smile

My parents have always brought the turkey to the table and carved there. There was one exception to this when all of my siblings, spouses, and grandchildren, plus assorted aunts and uncles were at there house for Thanksgiving. Then Dad carved it in the kitchen and we served everyone buffet style. But my family likes to pass around dishes so normally everyones plate keeps assembled at the table. It's just part of the fun!

Arrow

My husband carves our turkey in the kitchen and places it in a buffet server that is heated with hot water and sterno. We hate when the turkey comes to the table cold. Everyone takes turns basting it in the oven, so they get to see it as it is cooking. All of the other side dishes are placed in the table -so that everyone can serve themselves. Isn't hard to get everything on the table at the same time? I hope to do a better job this year!

The turkey comes out of the oven and sits 9on a carving board) in the kitchen until it is ready for carving. My father then carves the turkey and it is served at the table on Mom's Turkey platter. (I live in town with my family, so we always have Thanksgiving as a family. )

I cannot imagine squeezing what has been up to a 32 lb bird on a table already filled up with all the fixings.

When I have served Thanksgiving at my own home, I stick to the traditions I grew up with. Not only what is served, but how it is served. The first Thanksgiving I hosted, I borrowed china and serving dishes from my mother. It was just like all the Thanksgivings of my childhood.

My family has always brought the whole turkey to the table. Dad carves it at the table, and each person passes his/her plate down with special requests for white/dark meat and how much stuffing (from inside the turkey). Dad serves each person the turkey & stuffing, then we pass everything else. Of course one thing to keep in mind is that we have a relatively small family. So usually Dad will only have to serve 8 plates at the most.

But now that I'm married, I've had several Thanksgiving dinners with my in-laws, and of course they do things differently. They have a very big family, and I've never seen them bring the turkey to the table. One of the men (usually my brother-in-law who is a surgeon ) carves the turkey in the kitchen, and the meat is brought out on a platter. The only problem with that is I have to REMIND them to add some dark meat to the platter, since I'm the only one who eats it rather than the white.

Since I grew up with having the turkey on the table, that's what I have done the couple times I've hosted Thanksgiving. I suppose I'll try to keep doing that unless it becomes unmanageable. I just really like the tradition of it!

We usually use an electric knife to carve the turkey, so it gets carved in the kitchen where the outlets are. Also, I don't think the "Chainsaw Massacre" sounds really complement the Thanksgiving table ambiance.

I personally have not hosted a Thanksgiving, but in my fimilies home we carve the turkey in the kitchen and place it on the table w/all the other sides, (I haven't had thanksgiving w/my family in 9 yrs, this thanksgiving! sob!) At my in-laws they also carve the turkey in the kitchen and then set up a buffet w/all the fixings! My husband and I are both from large families 6 sibs each, and everyone is married w/kids (27 nieces and nephews) so buffets work the best!!

When we have guests they take a look at the turkey then my hubby or dad will slice it and it goes to the table in a meat platter because its easier. My grandparents did ALL the carving and serving from the table. Actually grandma always placed the meat/poltry in front of grandpa and he cut it and served it, she then served or pass around the other dishes. My parents would carve in the kitchen too.

Talking

Not to long ago I ask the same question. Everytime you see tne entreein a magazine or picture ,its served so beautifully on the platter with the veggies all around. yet in reality its so hard to keep the dinner warm and the meat platter can be way to big to put on the table. I always like a sit down dinner best. Everone sitting at the table just gives me a warm fuzzy, anf I also want a beautiful table. I guess its ,try different things till you find the one that suits you best. I will be serving a prime rib this year, for a formal Or as formal as you can be when your the chief cook and bottle washer. How I serve this I'm aleady thinking about. Good luck to you!

For the past few years, we've all went to the Coast and deep fried our turkey's. There's probably close to 40 of us and we usually have 3-4 birds to cook and it's just too hard in the motorhomes, so we've adapted this way. Once one is done, my brothers, or sometimes Bill will carve and carve and carve! Everyone is standing around outside and having wine and waiting patiently for the "samples" just to make sure no one is served "bad turkey" (ha ha!). So, needless to say, we carve, then serve at the tables.

Penny