Community Message Boards

Thread: Ripening Ice Cream

Ripening Ice Cream

What does this mean exactly? Should I do it? I do find that my ice cream melts a little too quickly and apparantly ripening with slow down this process. How do I do it? I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. The site I'm says to keep in the freezing bowl, cover the lid with ice (what lid?) and cover with a towel. Has anyone ever done this. I'm a little unsure of what the instructions are telling me to do.

Help!!!

It sounds like the instructions are referring to a salt/ice machine. The finished ice cream can be left in one of those and they come with lids. I think the ripening process just refers to packing fresh ice/salt around the bowl to let it cool off more, but it wouldn't work with the Cuisinart because you can't leave the ice cream in its bowl - you can damage the bowl when you scoop out the hardened ice cream.

Ok, first off let me warn you I'm pretty much a newbie re: ice cream making. I've done maybe 8 or 9 batches.

I keep seeing the same info to "ripen" your ice ream on different websites. Since you can't really do it with a Cuisinart, I tried another method (I think I heard it here).

What I do is after the ice cream sets up in the Cuisinart, I take it out and place it one of those 8 cup Gladware containers. Then I put a sheet of plastic wrap directly over the ice cream surface and press all the air out. Stick the lid on and place it in the freezer for another couple of hours. That seems to work to "ripen" it...the batches that I've made where I've used the plastic wrap def. turn out better than the ones I just dumped into the container.

Hope that helps some. I'm sure someone else will come up with good advice for you!
    Morgan

THANKS Morgan,

I'm a newbie too ... I don't get it though ... what would the plastic wrap do? I'll definately try it, but I don't get it!

ClaraB ... it offers too options ... instructions on how to do it if you're using salt/ice machine and an alternative ... let me find it and I'll post it ...

Thanks.
    YP