Community Message Boards

Thread: need crushing candies help

need crushing candies help

Hi all! I was wanting to make some of the Peppermint Ice cream from the Nov/Dec. 2001 issue and I need some help with the crushing of the peppermint candies. Does anyone have a GOOD way to do this without it going everywhere, ruining the plastic bag it's in, sticking to your towel, etc.? I've run into this problem before when I needed crushed candies for a recipe. TIA!

Do you think it would work to chop them up in a food processor or blender?
    Kari

Why not put them in a ziploc, seal it, and then give it a good few hits with a meat tenderizer (or something similar)?

YP

Hi! I will try the blender thing--good idea! Yorkshirepud, I have tried the ziploc bag thing and the bag ends up getting destroyed in the process and I am worried that I have bits of plastic in with my candy. Probably because the candy is hard and makes it poke through I'm guessing. Thanks for the tips so far--any other ideas?

Put them in a bag, wrap well with a towel and drive over them with the car?

Leigh,
    being silly today.
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Originally posted by brendat4
    Hi! I will try the blender thing--good idea! Yorkshirepud, I have tried the ziploc bag thing and the bag ends up getting destroyed in the process and I am worried that I have bits of plastic in with my candy. Probably because the candy is hard and makes it poke through I'm guessing. Thanks for the tips so far--any other ideas?
    I think if you whacked it with the bottom of a heavy saucepan, with a flat bottom, you won't get plastic pieces in with the candy. Also, freezer bags are thicker than regular sandwich bags. Wrapping it in a tea towel and then whacking it may help too, but then the candy may stick to the towel. Hmm. Does it help to freeze the candy? Would it make it more brittle and easier to break? Just a thought.

Hi,
    Well, you can give the food processor a try, but experience has taught me that the food processor makes, candy dust and large chunks.

The ziplock and a hammer or meat mallot worked best for me. If you get good results in the food processor, please let us know. Maybe I did something wrong!

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

I would think that the candy could damage the blades of a food processor or blender.

I've had luck with taking a freezer bag outside and hitting with hammer in the driveway. You might try doing it in small batches, maybe 4-5 candies at a time.

Out of cuiousity I did a search and found a recipe where crushed candy was used. Here is the suggestion:

2) While the dough is cooling, crush candy canes in a food processor and set aside for later combined with the sugar

** If you don’t have a food processor in the house, a meat tenderizing mallet and a thick plastic bag will get the job done as well. Sandwich baggies and zip-lock bags are great because you can keep an eye on the consistency of the crushed candy canes, which should be about the same texture as your sugar in the end.

Here is the website where I found this: http://www.craftygal.com/archives/1201/fridge1201.htm

I use a freezer bag and a towel, doubled over. It cushions the blow a bit and keeps the plastic bag somewhat intact. I use a flat bottom pan or a wooden rolling pin.

Good Luck!

-Doree