Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Cream Using Pudding Mix?

Ice Cream Using Pudding Mix?

Sigh. I'm still obsessed with making really good homemade LIGHT ice cream.

Today, I came across an allrecipes.com recipe that uses vanilla pudding mix for an extra creamy texture. Has anyone tried this?

Here's the recipe. The reviews from allrecipes.com were spectacular and several people mentioned they used Egg Beaters with successful results. I'm thinking about giving this recipe a try, but #1. It makes so **** much and #2. For what I'd spend on ingredients, I could go out and buy two gallons of bluebell light and #3. There is so much here that could be lightend (skimmed evaporated milk, fat free half & half, 2% milk) that I'm overwhelmed. That is, if I lighted this, will I ruin the ice cream or should I just try the recipe as is since it's not all THAT evil....that is, it only uses 8 ounces of cream.

I'm rambling. Here's the recipe and the link where I found it.

http://dessert.allrecipes.com/az/vnilliccrmiv.asp

Vanilla Ice Cream

5 eggs
    2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
    1/2 pint heavy cream
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
    4 cups milk

Directions
    1 In large bowl, beat together eggs, evaporated milk, cream, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla, with electric mixer. Beat in pudding mix until smooth. Pour into freezer canister of ice cream maker and add enough milk to bring mixture to fill line. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

This probably won't help you much, but I made the recipe below a few years ago and we thought it was wonderful! I used my big machine though that uses rock salt and ice. Also, I used whole milk and regular sweetened condensed milk.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butterfinger Ice Cream

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Dessert , Ice Cream

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 Butterfinger candy bars -- (2.16 oz) frozen
    1 package vanilla instant pudding -- (3 oz.)
    2 cans sweetened condensed milk -- (14 oz)
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1/2 gallon milk

Crush frozen candy bars into very course crumbs (I just use a hammer while they're still in the packages, and then open them up and dump out the crumbs).

Combine crushed candy bars, pudding mix, condensed milk and vanilla in an ice cream freezer. Add milk to within 1 inch of fill line. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Makes 3 quarts

NOTES : I mixed everything and chilled it in the canister. And I added whole milk to the fill line, not 1 inch below like the recipe states.

Actually, that helps a LOT!!!!

That recipe uses pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk (no evaporated)and no eggs. I could easily make half a batch.

Also, I love butterfingers. Maybe I'll try to make that recipe with fat free condensed milk, 2% milk and pudding mix.

Glad I could help you! Please post your results. Not to confuse things more, but here's another one I've been dying to try.

CHOCOLATE CHUNK-PEANUT BUTTER ICE CREAM

Recipe By : Southern Living
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Ice Cream

3 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 tablespoons peanut butter
    3 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
    3 cups milk
    6 (2.1-ounce) chocolate-covered crispy peanut butter candy bars-- crushed (Butterfingers)

WHISK together first 5 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium-high heat, whisking often, 15 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 160. Cool 20 minutes. Stir in candy.

POUR mixture into freezer container of a 5-quart electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

PACK freezer with additional ice and rock salt; let stand 1 hour before serving. Yield: about 1 gallon.

There's a Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream recipe in the Ultimate Ice Cream Book that I'm going to try soon that uses a packet of no-bake Cheesecake Mix! That just sounds so good! I've even bought the Jello Cheesecake Mix already, I just have to find the time to make it!

I'm assuming that the cheesecake mix and the pudding would do the same thing: Add richness and flavor without cream or eggs!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Haven't tried this yet, but it should be easy to halve.

Vanilla Pudding Ice cream

2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    2 (3 3/4 oz)packages instant vanilla pudding mix
    3 cups milk
    2 cups half and half
    1/2 cup flaked coconut

In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar, pudding mix and milk until smooth. Stir in half and half and coconut. Pour into ice cream canister. Freez according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 2 quarts.

OK Jewel-you gotta post it.....please.

I've had my eye on that strawberry cheesecake ice cream recipe in The Ultimate Ice Cream Book too. Adding a packet of Jello Cheesecake mix just seems like a good idea.

JJeanette, your pudding ice cream looks good too. That one actually has more pudding than all the others I've seen.

claire797....The vanilla recipe that I absolutely love right now does not have pudding mix but marshmellow fluff. In fact, I have one chilling as we speak. The recipe is from Eating Well issue. This has been posted before but I post again. DH loves this one with mini chocolate chips. BTW, Eating Well's Chocolate Ice Cream is very good too!

Vanilla Ice Cream

Recipe By : Eating Well
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Ice Cream/Frozen Desserts

4 cups skim milk
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    3 large egg yolks
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
    2 tablespoons vanilla extract -- pure

In a large heavy saucepan, combine 3 3/4 cups of the milk and corn syrup. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the corn syrup, until steaming. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstartch and the remaining 1/4 cup cold milk until smooth. Gradually whisk 1 cup hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then pour the egg-yolk mixture into the hot milk in the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils, and thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when in boils.

Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forning. Cool completely.

Whisk in marshmallow creme and vanilla until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; the lumps will break down during stir-freezing).

Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving in chilled dessert dishes.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts, serves 8

Source:
    "Eating Well Dessert Cookbook, page 158"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 269 Calories; 2g Fat (7.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 104mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Commercial marshmallow creme is the short-cut secret to this ice cream's velvety texture. For the fullest vanilla flavor, choose a top-quality extract. Bourbon vanilla beans from Madagascar are among the finest, and extracts labeled Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla are rich and aromatic.
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Never eat more than you can lift.---Miss Piggy

So Much Ice Cream, So Little Time

Originally posted by Mamasue
    claire797....The vanilla recipe that I absolutely love right now does not have pudding mix but marshmellow fluff.
    Thanks Mamasue. Believe it or not, that too is on my list of ice cream's to try. I copied the recipe from an old thread a few days ago. I wonder which one is the best -- a pudding version, your marshmallow fluff version or the old CL silken tofu version of Cookies and Cream.....which is also on my list.

A few days ago, I was so undecided as to which recipe to try that I broke down and just made a batch of full fat peppermint ice cream because I knew it would be good. DH loves it, but I'm still itching to find a really good lower fat ice cream that I will actually eat too. So far, the best low fat ice cream has been Jewel's peanut butter chocolate version....all the rest have left me underwhelmed.

Question Chocolate ice cream

Mamasue--Could you post EW's Chocolate Ice Cream recipe or tell me where I could find it? I LOVE homemade ice cream but I've never found a good chocolate recipe...

Thanks!!

Here you go honeygirl1971...Enjoy!

Eating Well Chocolate Ice Cream

Recipe By :Eating Well Magazine
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Ice Cream/Frozen Desserts

3 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1/4 cup dark corn syrup
    2 tablespoon brown sugar
    2 large egg yolks
    2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
    2 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
    1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cup Marshmallow Fluff

1.In a large heavy saucepan, combine 2 1/2 cups milk, corn syrup and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until steaming.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cocoa, cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk until smooth.
    3. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg-yolk mixture; then return to the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes. (Because the custard is thickened with cornstarch, it will not curdle when it boils.)

4.Remove from the heat, add chocolate, and stir until melted. Stir in coffee liqueur or brewed coffee and vanilla.

5.Transfer the custard to a large clean bowl and place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cool completely. Add Marshmallow Cream and mix with a whisk until as smooth as possible. (The mixture will be a little lumpy; lumps will break down during stir-freezing.) Chill until cold.

6.Pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    Number of Servings: 6

Calories: 267 Cholesterol: 75.43 mg
    Protein: 7.29 g Sodium: 119.4 mg
    Carbohydrates: 52.49 g Total Fat: 5.7 g

Sue's Notes: Very creamy, not too sweet and simply delectable!!
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Smile Thanks!

I can't wait to try it!

Results

I made a 1/2 batch of JJeanette's vanilla ice cream because I had all the ingredients on hand and it was pretty straightforward. I omitted the coconut however and added Linda's butterfinger.

The results? Tasty, but not deliciously creamy or rich. The texture is like ice milk -- and I guess that's what it is since the richest thing in the recipe is the half & half. The pudding mix probably helped the texture a little, but it didn't make it smooth and rich. It definitely added a "French Vanilla" flavor.

With two butterfingers thrown in, the recipe came in at about 220 calories per half cup (4 ounces weight and volume) and 8 grams of fat per serving.

I won't be throwing this batch out because it's good -- but I am going to move on down the list. Next stop? Mamasue's chocolate recipe using Marshmallow Fluff.

I'll revisit the pudding/ice cream recipes again after I've tried some other stuff.

Thanks for the idea mamasue. I tried my hand at lightening a Cinnamon Walnut Ice Cream and although it wasn't as creamy as the peanut butter recipe, everyone liked it.

ORIGINAL Cinnamon Walnut Ice Cream
    1 cup whole milk
    2/3 cup half and half
    1/3 cup whipping cream
    1/2 cup sugar
    2/3 cup chopped walnuts
    3/4 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    dash salt.

Thorougly combine ingredients. Pour into canister and freeze as directed.

My changes
    1 cup skim milk
    2/3 cup FF half and half
    1/2 cup FF sweetened condensed milk,
    2/3 cup chopped walnuts
    3/4 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    dash salt.

I made the ice cream on Tuesday and served it tonight. I want to change the cinnamon to maply syrup next time and use 1 tsp.

Sami

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

claire797....The vanilla recipe that I absolutely love right now does not have pudding mix but marshmellow fluff.
    Mamasue,
    Thank you for posting this!!!!!! I made the marshmallow fluff ice cream (the chocolate version you posted) and it is AWESOME! It tastes like premium ice cream but only has about 200 calories per half cup and 5 grams of fat. Wow is it good. The texture is smooth and the chocolate taste is incredible.

Now I definitely must try the vanilla.

One thing I did do differently for the chocolate was use use whole milk rather than low fat. Yes. I may have added a fat gram or two to each serving, but it was worth it.

Claire....I knew you would love this and you must make the vanilla! I also can't believe how creamy and rich tasting these two ice creams are and low fat to boot! You will not detect any difference if you use 1% milk which I use. I now have a backup of marshmellow fluff...when I use one I buy another so that I always have one on hand.

Ice Cream Crazy!!!!

It looks like Marshmallow fluff is going to become a staple on my shopping list. They should put this recipe on the back of the jar!

I really want to make the vanilla version today, but here's what's in my freezer.
    1/2 carton of Dreyer's (Edy's) Light Cookies & Cream
    1/2 Carton Dreyer's Rocky Road
    1 little tub of the butterfinger pudding ice cream I made last week
    1 little tub of the weird buttermilk chocolate stuff I made
    1 little tub of the delicious chocolate marshmallow fluff stuff
    1 little tub with a few spoonfuls of Jewel's peanut butter chocolate 1 big tub of full fat peppermint I made for DH
    1/4 pint of H.E.B. brand low fat butter pecan

I like having a variety of ice cream around, but this is getting ridiculous. The sad thing is, I'll probably make the vanilla stuff too.

Re: Ice Cream Crazy!!!!

LOL....have a few kids in the neighborhood over or/and Moms and have an ice cream party! Cleans out your freezer to make room for more!

Eating well chocolate ice cream....

Is there anything I can use instead of the chocolate liqueur in this Icecream?
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Re: Eating well chocolate ice cream....

Originally posted by dcornelius
    Is there anything I can use instead of the chocolate liqueur in this Icecream?
    Do you mean the coffee liquer? If so, then you should be able to leave it out. I don't think that the elimination of it will affect the flavor. I wouldn't try to use expresso powder either in its dry state or diluted with hot water. Its safer to leave it out. Good luck. You are going to love this chocolate ice cream. Right now I have the Vanilla one chilling that I tweaked to the flavor of Coffee Ice Cream. I will post my results tomorrow.

Re: Re: Ice Cream Crazy!!!!

LOL....have a few kids in the neighborhood over or/and Moms and have an ice cream party! Cleans out your freezer to make room for more!
    Ha Ha. We have some room now. I finished off the Dreyer's Rocky Road and DH finished his mint. I also finished the few tablespoons of peanut butter that were left but I immediately made more today.

As for using the liqueur in the chocolate ice cream recipe, I used just a tablespoon of some leftover strong coffee and that worked fine.

Talking

I got a brilliant idea and used some coffee royal syrup that I have for my lattes and the mixture is in the fridge cooling off as we speak (type). I have a feeling I am not gonna get to taste this ice cream until tomorrow and that gives me grounds to pout I am looking for ward to tasting it!
    ~~~Diane~~~

There are WAAAAY too many good ideas here that sound like I've got to try them. And soon. So, I'm posting just to make sure I don't loose this thread!

oh my goodness!

This ice cream is so chocolaty!!!!!!! So good! I love it! The only way it could be better is to add some chunks of something into it during the last five min of the freezing, lets see the butter finger thing sounds good, or Jr Mints, or Reeses....yummmmmmmm see this with the tongue sliding slowly across the top lip.....
    ~~~Diane~~~

Re: oh my goodness!

Originally posted by dcornelius
    This ice cream is so chocolaty!!!!!!! So good! I love it! The only way it could be better is to add some chunks of something into it during the last five min of the freezing, lets see the butter finger thing sounds good, or Jr Mints, or Reeses....yummmmmmmm see this with the tongue sliding slowly across the top lip.....
    Yeah. I'm going to make another batch with chunks of something. The butterfingers were good in the pudding mix ice cream, but they'd be great in the Marshmallow fluff ice cream. Let's see. What else might be good........brownie chunks?

The results are in....

Oooooo....ahhhhh.....

I took the EW Vanilla ice cream recipe and tweaked it to make Coffee Ice Cream. It is soooooo good!

This is what I did: added 3/4 cup of coffee beans (decaf) to the milk; let it come to a boil; cover and sit for 25 minutes; strain. Proceed with recipe until its time to fold in marshmellow. Before adding marshmellow I added 5-6 tablespoons of coffee liquer to give it a coffee flavor kick. I felt that the coffee bean flavor was not enough. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

Oh, I also eliminated the corn syrup which I have done before with good success. I only used 1 tablespoon of vanilla versus the two.

If you love coffee flavor then you are going to love this one!!

The coffee one is next Mamasue

This is so much fun! Did I tell you guys I got my cusinart ice cream maker last week or so for $39.00 at Sam's with two freezer bowls! That makes it even more fun! I have seen that baby with one bowl at Sears and other places for $59.00! My DD uses the machine more than I do! They make a batch and polish it off in one sitting! So far their favorite is mint chocolate chip. I have some chocolate covered coffee beans a friend gave me I may have to add them to the coffee flavored one you created Mamasue
    ~~~Diane~~~

dcornelius...you got a great buy. Chocolate flavored coffee beans....could be a winner. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow. The Eating Well Chocolate Ice Cream is amazing. I finally got around to trying it. It's almost too rich, if that's possible. Reminds me of the Haagen Daaz chocolate gelato I love so much. I didn't have any coffee liqueor, so I just made some really strong coffee, and added a tablespoon of that. I also used an ounce of semi-sweet, instead of bittersweet chocolate. I was worried it would be too sweet, but it's not. Just too rich.

I definitely think the addition of something chunky would make it even better. Maybe some brownie chunks similar to Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie?

Yum.