Community Message Boards

Thread: Help Me Like Catfish

Help Me Like Catfish

Dh made one of his rare trips to the grocery store this morning and noticed catfish were on sale, so he brought home a pound and a half. Although I am a seafood lover, the couple of times I have eaten catfish, I haven't liked it. Dh, however, loves it. So now I am in search of your favorite catfish recipes. I did a search and read several reviews of various catfish dishes, but I'm still unsure of what to make. Any suggestions on what would be good to make to maybe change my mind about catfish??? Thanks!
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

What's not to like???
    is it texture or what you are imagining them to look like?

I do a free-style cornmeal,chili powder, garlic powder, salt/pepper, cumin mix and dust the fish in that then either pan-fry or bake.

My DH isn't crazy about catfish either....to me, it's just another fish ..

sorry I'm not of much help...
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

It may not be the preparation of the catfish that you don't like. I love fish, but I won't eat catfish anymore. Too many past experiences of having "off-flavored" catfish. It's a scientific term to describe the strange flavors you can get with farm-raised catfish (caused by different types of bacteria). Most commonly, it might taste muddy. It's not because catfish is a bottom-feeding fish; it's because of the bacteria that is common in farm-raised catfish.

Anyway, I'm sure if I got good-quality, fresh, bacteria-free catfish, that I would probably like it. But that's been my experience.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wallycat
    What's not to like???
    is it texture or what you are imagining them to look like?

My DH isn't crazy about catfish either....to me, it's just another fish

Wallycat - For some reason I find catfish to have an "off" taste. Then again maybe it does go back to my childhood when I tagged along with my Dad to his favorite fishing spot.....I still remember those whiskers (on the catfish...not my Dad).
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart."
    Helen Keller

The favorite at our house is Blackened Catfish & it's super-easy! In fact, we just had this last night for dinner

We sprinkle them quite liberally with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasonings Blend called Blackened Redfish Magic. Then broil the fillets for 5-10 minutes on each side. When you flip them, be sure to dust the other side as well if you like things spicy. Obviously the more seasoning you use, the spicer they will be. You could also try grilling the fish if you have a grill basket.

This is the recipe that got me to like catfish, because I find catfish a bit bland by itself. I prefer this to any cornmeal-breaded recipes I have tried from CL. The best part is how quick & easy it is. I hope you like it if you try it.

Amy

We make fish taco (catfish wraps) often and love it. It goes wonderfully with purple cabbage slaw. Yum! Good luck.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I adore catfish. My first experience with it was pretty yucky (probably slightly spoiled), but I was eventually able to get over it and try again and...mmmmm!
    However, last night after I had made a strange version of Fried Catfish (taken from Betty Crocker it showed 20-some grams of fat per serving so I experimented) my husband said that, although he has tried to like it, that type of fish is just too "wet" for him. It is moist, and he hates undercooked things, so I will from now on prepare catfish for me and cod for him. Maybe that could be why you don't like it.
    The CL "search" has a good recipe for Blackened Catfish which DH actually liked. The other day, while looking through CL back issues, I found a recipe for Oven-Fried Catfish. I have no idea of what month or year it appeared (I was only looking back through 1998 though) but it was on page 124(gee-that helps!) It's a quick one, so I'll type it out.

Oven Fried Catfish
    1/2 c light beer
    1/2 c hot sauce (this is not a typo! I'll use less when I try it...)
    4 6-ounce catfish fillets
    1/2 c yellow cornmeal
    2 T cornstarch
    1/8 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    Cooking Spray

Combine beer & hot sauce, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 450.
    Remove fish, pat dry, discard marinade.
    Combine remaining ingredients in a shallow dish.
    Dredge fish in cornmeal mixture.
    Lightly coat fish with cooking spray. Place fish on a cooking-spray coated baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested w/ a fork.
    Makes 4 servings

I think that, when I make it, I'll serve cornbread, baked sweet potatoes, and coleslaw with it. And, since it has beer and hot sauce in the marinade (two of DH's basic food groups), I think I'll make him the catfish as well-- it's worth another try!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I've tried catfish twice and it seemed slimy to me. blech

Try the oven fried catfish from last year. The catfish soaks in beer and hotsauce in one of the recipes and it was served with mac and cheese. That was my first taste of catfish and it was good. Vicky

I'm not a fan of breaded fish, so I used to avoid catfish as most recipes had it breaded. I found a GREAT recipe in SL a few months back and posted it on the board. It is delicious and I have made is many times since. Here is the recipe and the link:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...hlight=catfish

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lime-orange Catfish

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 garlic clove -- pressed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    6 catfish fillets -- (4-ounce)
    Vegetable cooking spray
    Garnishes: lime and orange slices and
    fresh parsley sprigs

WHISK together first 8 ingredients; gradually whisk in olive oil until well blended. Remove half of juice mixture, and set aside.

PLACE catfish in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; pour remaining marinade over catfish. Cover or seal bag, and chill 15 minutes, turning catfish once.

REMOVE catfish from marinade, discarding marinade.

COAT grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill over medium-high heat (350 to 400). Place catfish on rack, and grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove to a serving platter; drizzle with reserved marinade. Garnish, if desired. Prep: 15 min., Chill: 15 min., Grill: 10 min.

Per serving: Calories 183 (54% from fat)*; Fat 11g (sat 2.3g, mono 5.8g, poly 2g); Protein 18g; Carb 2g; Fiber 0g; Chol 53mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 109mg; Calc 13mg.

Note: To broil catfish, follow recipe up to removing fish from marinade. Place fish on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in a broiler pan. Broil, 3 inches from heat, 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a serving platter; drizzle with reserved marinade. Garnish, if desired.

*Most of the fat calories come from omega-3 fatty acids (in catfish) and monounsaturated fat (in olive oil), both of which are associated with lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol.

Source: "www.Southern Living.com"

Originally posted by penguin
    We sprinkle them quite liberally with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasonings Blend called Blackened Redfish Magic. Then broil the fillets for 5-10 minutes on each side. When you flip them, be sure to dust the other side as well if you like things spicy.
    I love catfish fixed this way and then I went to a restaurant that served it blackened with a lemon butter sauce topped with crawfish! Oh my! Have been there 4 times and can't get past this on the menu (will be there Sunday for our anniversary).

To the problem of disliking catfish, there are osme pretty nasty members of the family! It's also hard to know which type it is once it hits the grocer. It's not even a matter of wild vs farm-raised (that puppy I eat is a wild one!)
    I just wouldn't give up on it!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I just remembered a website www.catfishinstitute.com . All kinds of info and recipes.

Thanks to all of you who have responded and if anyone else has any recommendations, please post them.

I am leaning towards the blackened catfish. I know dh will love this regardless if I do or not. And if I don't, I might cut it into bits and try it in a taco as donleyk suggested.

Also the oven fried and the Lime Orange Catfish sound delicious too. I am printing them all out to try with other types of fish (maybe tilapia) just in case I find that I am just not a catfish person.

And funnybone that looks like a great site. There are so many recipes listed there. Thank you for sharing that.

Thanks again everyone!
    Helen Keller

I hardly ever eat fried foods, but IMHO, the only way to eat catfish is fried (cornmeal batter) and served with hush puppies, french fries, cole slaw, pickled green tomatoes, and sliced onion. It is a divine meal that I savor about once or twice a summer.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

My husband normally hates catfish, and has complained about a number of different recipes his mother tried when he was young. One night I made the fish corn chowder for myself when he had to work late (I think it was from July '01), and he tried some when he got home and loved it! I thought I'd try again with the oven fried catfish from sometime last year, but that one didn't take. I loved it... but he didn't like it at all. Maybe you would like the chowder recipe. It has turned out to be one of the more frequent repeater recipes for us, and we don't repeat that many since there are always so many new ones to try.

Abby - when I think of catfish, I think of fried catfish for some reason. Like you, I rarely eat fried fish anymore, but I do indulge once or twice a year and I eat fried flounder....yum.

AnnaSue - I hadn't even thought of chowder, I will have to look that recipe up. I have the annual for last year so I should be able to find it.

I made the blackened catfish last night. As I figured, dh loved it and I was pleasantly surprised too, I actually liked catfish prepared this way. This dish was very spicy, but yet the fish had a mild flavor. Still it's not my favorite fish, but I would eat it again. I can't wait to try some of the other great sounding recipes that all of you were so kind to share. Thanks again!!!
    Helen Keller

Yeah! I'm glad you liked it

I agree, it's not my favorite fish either, but it's pretty tasty with all the seasoning. I would never waste all that spice masking the flavor of something like salmon

Amy

I don't remember where I found this recipe, but it is very good.

Crisp-Crusted Catfish

INGREDIENTS:

FOR 4 SERVINGS
    2 tablespoons light ranch dressing
    2 large egg whites
    6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (or cayenne)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 (6-ounce) farm-raised catfish fillets
    Cooking spray
    4 lemon wedges (opt)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Combine the dressing and egg whites in a small bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour, pepper, and salt in a shallow dish. Dip fish in egg white mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture.

3. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 4 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:

CALORIES 313 (26% from fat); FAT 9.1g (sat 2.8g, mono 3.6g, poly 3.3g); PROTEIN 87g; CARB 14.3g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 87mg; IRON 1.2mg; SODIUM 348mg; CALC 101mg

Keg64 - thanks for the recipe. I see you are new to the board. WELCOME
    And you are from SC too!!!
    Helen Keller

Thanks for the welcome. I just discovered this board and it is addictive! Or maybe because I have never been to a board before I just never knew what I was missing?! Really enjoy all the wonderful sounding recipes and suggestions.

Thumbs up Crisp-Crusted Catfish

I give a BIG thumbs-up to the Crisp-Crusted Catfish recipe posted by keg64! (It's from a past issue of Cooking Light, but I don't have my binders on hand to look it up. I've only subscribed for a couple years now, so I guess that's only 24 or so issues to look through! )

Anyway, this is the only recipe I use anymore for catfish (I know, HOW ORIGINAL!) It's delicious -- the ranch dressing really covers up the somewhat cat-fishy taste. Try it!!

Jill