Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does buttermilk last?

How long does buttermilk last?

I think I remember reading/watching on t.v. one time that buttermilk actually lasts longer than the expiration date on the carton. Does anyone know if this is true? I have some that is just under a week old that I barely used--can I use the rest? Logic tells me no, but maybe someone else can clue me in. Thanks!

I heard/read that somewhere too.

I would say your buttermilk is definitely good. I use it when it is that old (in fact I just did yesterday) and have had no problems.

the theory behind it is that buttermilk is already "spoiled." I don't know if that logic is correct, but all I know is that I have had no problems using it a while after the expiration date.

My experience is that it takes a long time for buttermilk to go bad. I have a few muffin and cake recipes that call for only a cup or so of buttermilk and have used it up to a week beyond the expiration date without any problem. Just make sure you shake the carton before pouring, and if it passes the "sniff" test, you should be fine!

We've had a lot of discussions on this subject (you could do a search) but I think we all agreed that it lasts beyond the date. I have had some that I've not even opened until after the date and it was fine for quite a while afterwards. My rule of thumb is "if there aren't too many lumps then it's OK to cook with", not that I'd ever drink the stuff!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Let's just say I've used buttermilk WELL past the expiration date, and I agree with the sniff test and lumplessness assessments. If it smells like buttermilk and pours like buttermilk, I use it. Go for it!

Another tip I learned here is that you can freeze your leftover buttermilk. I do it in 1 cup increments and use later in recipes.

That is a great tip re:freezing buttermilk. I never use enough of it and I always end up tossing the rest. It just doesn't seem worth it to seek out recipes to use up that buttermilk...

Thanks!

CK
    let the journey begin:
    http://www.mp3.com/critical7

This answers a question I was going to post - about freezing buttermilk. I don't know why dairies don't just make it in 250 or 500 mL containers, like they do for half and half and cream. If any dairy reps are lurking on this board, please listen - you've got an untapped market.