Community Message Boards

Thread: My dinner at The Herbfarm

Smile My dinner at The Herbfarm

Last night I had probably one of the best meals of my entire life. I took my mom to The Herbfarm restaurant in Woodinville, Washington. This was my second time there and it was even better than the first. The restaurant serves a 9 course meal, with wine pairings, concentrating on foods from the Pacific Northwest and using herbs (hence the name) in everything. The set menu changes daily based on what is fresh and available. The evening starts with a tour through their own herb garden and explanation of how the menu they have chosen came to be. The theme for the evening's meal was, A Summer Sketchbook. And because I know that no one would appreciate this as much as you all, here is the menu of what we dined on last night:

Treasures of the Tide Pool
    Puget Sound Kumomoto Oyster with Wild Ginger Ice
    Paddlefish Caviar on Crisp Salmon Skin with Wild Onion
    Smoked Mussels with Local Artichokes and Oregano Aioli

Handkerchief Pasta
    Filled with Quillisascut Goat Cheese and Asparagus
    With Sage Blossoms and Early Summer Herbs

Slow Cooked Copper River King Salmon
    With Snap Peas, Sea Beans, Walla Walla Onion and Basil

Roasted King Bolete Mushroom
    With Green Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fava Beans and Savory

Rose Petal Ice

Lavender and Spice Crusted Breast of Muscovy Duck
    With Morel, Confit and Spinach Strudel, Golden Beets and Chelan Cherry Sauce

The Herbfarm Garden Salad
    With Wild Ostrich Fern Fiddleheads

Strawberry Fields Forever
    Strawberry Shortcake with Bay Cream
    Strawberry-Rose Geranium Ice Cream Cone
    Strawberry and Lemon Verbena Gelee

The Bolete mushroom dish (this is similar to a porcini we were told) and the desserts were my favorites, but the entire meal was absolutely outstanding. I was also able to get a copy of the Herbfarm cookbook signed for me by the auther, executive chef Jerry Traunfeld.
    "I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation" John Cusack, Say Anything

That dinner sounds OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! If I ever find my way up to Washington, I will definately go there. How is the cookbook, by the way?
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

wow!

I had a bean burrito from Taco Time last night.

we are going to make reservations for sometime in the near future. it looks wonderful. it was feature on the BEST OF too.

Missi.... plan way in advance... i have heard there is a 3 month waiting list... not to mention one needs to save up for the meal.. ALL WORTH IT.. something like $125 a person....

i can't wait to go!!!

I'm droooooling!!!!!!!!!
    Not sure I'd be able to eat that much food in one sitting, but I'd kill myself trying
    It sounds OUTSTANDING.
    Bolete mushroom....those are porcinis...did they taste as amazing as books make them out to be?? I've only had dried :mad:

Hmmm, I wonder if my herbfarm cookbook is related to this place...I'm gonna have to go dig and see...

THANKS for making me hungry
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Buddie, definitely go! It really is wonderful. You're right on the prices...I started saving a few months ago. It depends on what night you go (they serve Thurs-Sunday), but it is $149/person on Fridays plus tax and gratuity. My mom was very impressed since I had called in my credit card earlier in the day. The server came up to us, gave us a small plate of chocolates, wished my mom a Happy Birthday and told her the bill was already taken care of.

Missi, I haven't really done anything with the cookbook yet, but it a fun one just to read. They served some herbed butter coins last night with their breads and the butter was the best thing! I found the recipe in the book and I'll be making it soon.

Wallycat...they space it out over 5 hours and the portions are pretty small, so it's really not too bad. I can tell you that I did not need breakfast this morning though.

WOW!! I've got to get there! And does that menu ever underscore one of the reasons I looooove the Pacific Northwest. You are so lucky to live there!

Originally posted by Canice
    WOW!! I've got to get there! And does that menu ever underscore one of the reasons I looooove the Pacific Northwest. You are so lucky to live there!
    Now you guys all know why I am always whining about having moved away from there!

I have been to the Herbfarm a few times....never eaten there, though. It is open to the public to just browse through their gardens and look at stuff in their giftshop. Don't they also have a store or two at Westlake or Bellevue square or something?

Suzy

Oh, wow a three month waiting list!!!!! Maybe I'll just wonder the gardens and the gift shop!!! The cookbook sounds good, though. Maybe that will have to do for now
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

What a delightful dinner! I have only read about the Herbfarm and have seen bits of it on the tv. I will have to put it on my list of must-do's for the future. Thank you for sharing your evening with all of us!

What a delightful dinner! I have only read about the Herbfarm and have seen bits of it on the tv. I will have to put it on my list of must-do's for the future. Thank you for sharing your evening with all of us!

Unhappy

I'm jealous.

::whines for leftovers::

rofl

emilie
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Connecticut Herb Farm

There is an herb farm in Connecticut that offers special herb luncheons in season. It is nowhere near as elaborate and fancy as
    the Herbfarm; but I think it is still worth a visit. I have wanted to go there for ages and still haven't made it; but reading this post has certainly inspired me.
    Has anyone been to the one in CT? This is there website.

http://gonewengland.about.com/gi/dyn...aprilands.com/

Connecticut Herb Farm

There is an herb farm in Connecticut that offers special herb luncheons in season. It is nowhere near as elaborate and fancy as
    the Herbfarm; but I think it is still worth a visit. I have wanted to go there for ages and still haven't made it; but reading this post has certainly inspired me.
    Has anyone been to the one in CT? This is their website.

http://www.caprilands.com/