Community Message Boards

Thread: Does anyone have these Maytag (or Jenn-Air) appliances?

Smile Does anyone have these Maytag (or Jenn-Air) appliances?

Hi all!

We have been appliance shopping and are seriously considering the following:

1. Maytag Neptune washer (sweet machine!) and Neptune Dryer
    2. Maytag Gemini Electric Range (non-convection) - with two ovens etc. Maytag bought out Jenn-Air (and Amana) in order to diversify into the range and refrigerator market, so this is based on a Jenn-Air style
    3. Maytag Model MDB7100 Dishwasher

We were able to find an amazing place to buy all of the above. Any thoughts - positive or negative? Thanks so much.

BTW - I have seen other threads discussing appliances but nothing on this specifically. If I have missed something directly on point do let me know. Thanks.

Natasha

Hi Natasha! Long time, no email... How's life?

We have the Maytag dishwasher of which you speak, but the Energy Star Version. It has the Extra-Quiet package, which is Soooo nice! We actually use the other features like time delay/resume, auto clean, sanitize, etc.

We had the portable version in our old house for 5 years and when we moved, we bought a built-in. We've always had good luck with Maytag appliances (we also have a Maytag gas stove/convection oven, washer & dryer).
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Neptune Washer and Dryer

We have been very happy with the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer. We have had ours for 4+ years and it has only had an under warranty design repair. Would happily purchase this brand again!

---Aspen

We have a Neptune Washer and Dryer, the stacking model and would NEVER buy it again. You have to buy expensive soap for it, High Efficiency (HE) soap. It had two repairs in it's first six months. Now that the warranty has expired I'm afraid of the next time it screws up and we have to pay to have it fixed. We didn't buy an extended warranty for it and were told by an appliance repairman that it would be very expensive to fix. Why didn't we buy the extended warranty? Because we had had such good luck with our basic Maytag dryer we bought in our old house and a 10 year old Maytag dishwasher that ran for that long before needing a major repair.

Also, the washer can't hold a king size comforter - the door won't close.

I'd also highly recommend buying any appliances from a company like Sears who has their own service people. If you buy your appliances from an appliance store, if anything goes wrong, you're on your own to deal with the manufacturer and their recommended service people and if you work, their service times suck. The always want to come between 9 and 5. I always tell them that this is not 1950 and the "little woman" is at work. Luckily my husband can occasionally work from home, but it's really inconvenient.

My advice with appliances is to stay far away from any overly computerized appliance. Buy a basic model with the least amount of bells and whistles. They just haven't got the bugs out yet. Appliances with computers in them are in the same state that cars with computerized systems were in 20 years ago.

We have a Kitchenaid stove that we had replaced under warranty a little over a year after buying it. We bought a five year extended warranty and just had to have the motherboard replaced again, this would have been a $450 part plus labour if we didn't have the extended warranty. When that warranty expires, the stove goes out the door. If I could, I'd get rid of it now and just buy a plain old gas stove.

Sorry about sounding so negative, but I have been so disappointed with the stove and washer and dryer that I really wish we hadn't purchased the top of the line products. We bought the most basic dishwasher Sears had and so far (knock on wood) it's perfromed quite nicely.

We have friends who have the Maytag Gemini Range and they really like it. They mostly use the smaller oven (it's a family of two) and they like that it pre-heats really quickly.

I have the Neptune W/D and have loved it since the day I bought it about 4 1/2 years ago. Never had a repair or problem with it.

As for Jenn-Air, I have all Jenn-Air appliances - DW (not sure of the model, but the inside is stainless steel), fridge (counter depth model), gas cook top and double wall ovens. Although I don't think the models are the ones you are inquiring about, I will tell you that I have had these appliances since March 2000 when we moved into our home and they have all worked extremely well. Never had a repair or problem with any of them either.

If you get a great deal, I say go for them. Anything that should go wrong with them, will do so in the first couple of months, and they are covered by warranty.

Maytag

Said it here before and I'll say it again. I will NEVER EVER buy another Maytag product.

Thumbs up

Good morning!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I appreciate your taking the time to tell me what you liked/didn't like about your products.

Sounds like there is some truly mixed feedback on the Neptune! Julia, please don't apologize for being negative; I wanted to hear any feedback at all, and your candid comments were welcome. I had a couple of follow-up questions for you: Is it difficult to find the HE soap, too, or is it just more expensive than regular soap? What kinds of problems have you had with it (if you don't mind me asking)?

Susan, thanks for the feedback on the range! There are just two of us too, and I could see us using the small oven a lot, as your friends do (and then using both for entertaining or larger meals or when I get into a baking frenzy ).

Natasha

My mom has Jenn-air appliances in her kitchen and especially likes the dishwasher. I have no idea how her model would compare to the one you listed -- just know she has really liked it.

I bought the Calypso washer and dryer since the added bending for a front loader was a problem or me, but I like the fact that they now have risers for the front loaders. The Calypso can also use the HE detergent, and it was almost impossible to find a year or so ago. Now I can find it at grocery stores, Target and Walmart, but usually only in one size and one brand. I am told Sears has there own HE brand detergent, but I've never tried it. I tried Tide HE and went back to using less regular detergent. I didn't think the HE cleaned as wel, and it does cost more. You use less, but the same applies to regular detergent, so you can't really say the cost balances out.

Whether you go upright or front loading, not having an agitator means you get less wear on your clothing, and you really do get larger loads using less detergent and water. I have washed king comforters, room-sized canvas drop cloths, even my son's armrest style reading pillow. The loads stay balanced more evenly, even washing those strange items. I also like not having to reach around an agitator to load or unload -- seems silly, but makes more of a difference that I would have thought.

This seems to be the time of year that many appliances are doing model closeouts and new ones coming in or soon will be. If you aren't sure about any particular model, look at others. There are lots of sales, and you can often get no-interest financing deals, free delivery and such on top of their sale prices. Take time to look around since appliances may be with you and used daily for the next 10-20 years.

I have no problems finding the HE Tide or Wisk around here. It is more expensive, and I wish I didn't have to use it, but everytime I have used a non-HE detergent, I have created way too many suds. However, the Washer gives me great results, so its worth the extra expense of the HE.

Re: Neptune Washer and Dryer

Originally posted by Aspen
    We have been very happy with the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer. We have had ours for 4+ years and it has only had an under warranty design repair. Would happily purchase this brand again!

---Aspen
    Ditto. If you do a search, we talked about the Neptune's about a month ago. I don't bother with the HE detergent. I just use 1/2 of regular detergent and it works just fine. If you use too much you get lots of suds.

Hi Natasha, no the HE soap isn't that difficult to find around here now, 3 years ago it was though - it is more expensive. I also wish we had been told about it by the salesman who sold us the machine. If I had a large family, it would be more of an issue, as it's just the two of us, it's not so bad. The problems we had were regarding the washer not spinning the water out of the machine that well.

I've also heard that there were problems with mildew as water stays in the machine. I'd recommend doing a lot of research before buying one of these machines. I'm kind of with luv2cook about Maytag - it's almost like someone who had a reliable spouse and was cheated on - once burnt, you know the rest. We loved our old Maytag dishwasher so much that when the washer that came with our old house died we just called the Maytag store and said "here's the credit card number, just put one on the truck and bring it over". We'd never do that again. Maytag is going to have to do a lot to get my business in the future.

I've also found it interesting that the Maytag commercials with the Maytag man sitting around bored have gone off the air. Wonder why?

Thumbs up

Thanks, Julia. I really appreciate the additional information. My next step is to check out consumer guides, etc. We also have a knowledgeable salesman - we have already grilled him for over an hour - and I have been jotting down additional questions for him now.

Lisa, thanks for the info about the other threads. I checked them out and they were helpful. I'm glad your problem with the mildew was solved! That must have been awful. I also searched for Gemini, etc. but unlike the Neptune, the Gemini (the range) doesn't seem to have been really discussed elsewhere on the boards.

Anyway, thanks again one and all!

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

An Update

Hi all!

We've now had a chance to play a little with the appliances, and I can say that we love the Gemini range. So far we have mostly used the top oven as we have mostly been cooking just for ourselves. It preheats SO quickly (as Susan pointed out) and the smooth top elements are speedy and efficient as well. The fridge is very nice, too. The jury is still out on the other appliances (haven't used them enough to comment) but I will let you know what I think after a bit more time to try 'em out.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket