Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Mason Jars??

Question Freezing Mason Jars??

I would like to use some of the quart size mason jars to freeze things with the food saver. Although there are special 1/2 pint and pint jars which state they are freezable, the quart jars just say "canning". I have frozen things before in plain old glass containers and nothing has ever happened. What's the view on this out there??

Funny you should ask this, while walking to work today I was contemplating make a big batch of stock in a few weekends to freeze and I was wondering about doing the same thing - freezing 2 cups worth in mason jars sealed w/ my food saver. I'm interested to see what other think of this as well.

Thanks for reading my mind, Joyce

emily

FReezing in glass will not affect the quality of the food.
    The only concern is expansion/contraction of glass and it's possibility to crack or shatter once frozen and bumped against something....
    I didn't check out Mason's website...maybe they have something regarding durability of the quart jars....
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I freeze things in Mason jars all the time. Just make sure not to over-fill, you have to leave plenty of room for whatever you are freezing to expand. When you are ready to thaw, don't put the jar in hot water or the micro. Let it thaw gradually. The frozen glass place in somthing hot will break the glass.

Exclamation

Since I have both kinds of jars, I believe the difference is in the shape! The freezer jars are wider on the top, therefore the frozen stuff in the jar is easier to get out. I freeze things like yeast in either kind of jar, since it is not a wet item! I am talking about items frozen with the foodsaver of course!
    Curleytop

Thanks, ladies! Exactly what I wanted to hear... err, read

emily

I am going to try it, but the quart size jars come in wide mouth too, so that can't be the difference.