Community Message Boards

Thread: help with grilling boneless pork chops?

Hybrid View

Question help with grilling boneless pork chops?

I have done some searches for ideas to grill my boneless pork chops but haven't seen much or anything that really looks good. I am going to grill these tonight, and they are about 3/4"-1" thick. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sauce or specific preparation on the grill? I won't have time to really marinate them unless it's for about 30 minutes, since we're out the door now to visit some friends.

I would really appreciate any suggestions/help you can give me!!! Thanks!

From The Barbecue Bible:

Sweet & Garlicky Pork Chops

4 thick (1 inch) or 8 (1/2 inch) pork chops (about 2 pds in all)
    1 head garlic, broken into cloves & peeled
    3 tab. sugar
    1/3 cup Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
    3 tab. honey
    3 tab. rice wine
    2 tab. Asian (dark) sesmae oil
    1 tab. grated fresh ginger
    2 teas. salt
    1 teas. freshly ground black pepper

1. Make 1 or 2 cuts in the fat side of each pork chop to keep it from curling during grilling. Arrange the chops in a baking dish and set aside.
    2. Combine the garlic & sugar in a mini chopper or food processor & process to a paste, or pound to a paste in a mortar & pestle. Work in the fish sauce, honey, rice wine, sesame oil, ginger, salt, & pepper. Using a rubber spatula, spread the mixture over both sides of the chops. Cover & let marinate, in the fridge, for 1-2 hours.
    3. Preheat the grill to high.
    4. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Arrange the chops on the hot grate & grill until nicely browned on both sides & cooked through, 6-8 min. per side for thick chops. Internal temp-160 F. Transfer the chops to a platter & serve immediately.

Another way is DH rubs olive oil, minced garlic & fresh rosemay, sprinkled w/ fresh ground pepper, and Kosher salt. Then grill as specified above.

Thank you very very much!! We just got back and I am going to try your recipe!!! It looks great!

Actually, I would be happy with any recipe for doing some thing with Pork Loin Chops. They are so good as chops so I get them from Costco, but there end up being SOOOOO many of them that I get tired of breaded and baked.

Thumbs up

Just thought I'd let you know how delicious these were! When I read the recipe I thought I had everything, but I happened to just throw out some ginger root that I could have salvaged some of, oh well! It didn't matter, they were really wonderful with out that. However, one question, when it calls for "rice wine" - does it mean rice wine vinegar? Maybe not, but I used red wine vinegar instead, since I'm out of rice wine vinegar.

Thank you again for the reply, and for it being so great!!! What a success it is to try something for the first time and have it be SUCH a success (DBF was going "mmmmmm" with his eyes closed as he ate them!!!).

Soy vs fish sauce?

These sound yummy, which is better, soy sauce or fish sauce? I have both so I might just use half and half.

Side dishes to go with oriental pork chops?

Alright I have these marinating. What interesting side dishes would you recommend?

If you decide you like grilled boneless pork chops, I've got a good recipe (somewhere) for beer brined pork chops.

As for a side dish, have you tried garlicky green beans? Beans are good right now. There's also a good rosemary potato recipe that's done in the micro (although I usually use dill). Both should be easy to find with a search.

adriana

soy sauce is different from fish sauce. If you are marinating, it might be OK to interchange them. But if you're eating it as is, it makes a HUGE difference, so don't substitute.

Plain ol' rice always goes well with Asian pork chops with some steamed veggies (I prefer cauliflower and any green leafy veggie from the Asian store). I also use the rice and veggies to sop up any juice that's running from the chops. yum.

Christine

just a quick little note-

This won't help anyone right now but I thought I would let you know that Penzeys has a great spice mixture for pork chops! Also their Northwoods mixture works great!
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

Originally posted by Mickey17
    Actually, I would be happy with any recipe for doing some thing with Pork Loin Chops. They are so good as chops so I get them from Costco, but there end up being SOOOOO many of them that I get tired of breaded and baked.
    My favorite pork chop marinade:

~5 cloves garlic,smashed with peel
    ~3 stalks green onions, chopped and bruised
    ~3/4 of a regular bottle soy sauce (not fish sauce)
    ~2 tsp honey/brown sugar
    1 splash rice wine or some other white wine
    dash ground white pepper
    dash cumin

Combine everything in your favorite marinating container. Marinate the chops for as long as your heart desires. If marinating longer, stick 'em in the fridge. I usually marinate at room temp for about 30 min. and then invidivually wrap the chops in plastic and freeze them. Very convenient to thaw and cook when in a hurry. Marinade can be reused to marinate multiple chops.

My favorite breading for pork chops:

all-purpose flour
    bread crumbs
    your favorite herbs and spices
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 egg, beaten

Combine flour with your favorite seasonings and salt and pepper. In another plate, combine bread crumbs with your favorite seasonings and salt and pepper. Dip the chops in the flour, shake off excess. Dip in egg, shake off excess. Dip in bread crumbs, shake off excess. Bake til they're done.

I am definitely not skilled with pork chops. They always come out a little tough. What are the rules of thumb for cooking pork chops?

CK
    let the journey begin:
    http://www.mp3.com/critical7

my rules of thumb

i grill pork loins, and they never turn out dry.

i think size has a lot to do with it.
    my mom always made those tiny thin cheap pork chops or the thin ones with the bones. blech.

i buy what are called "america cut" boneless pork chops. about 1" think. they stay moist. i sometimes pick my own out at the meat counter and get the biggest ones. also when i am grilling, i only flip once. i know that for steaks you are only suppose to flip once so the juices don't run out and the meat gets tough. i use the same method for pork.

baked pork chops from allrecipes.com
    this is an easy pork chop recipe that makes them VERY moist. i am not to into soup recipes, but this one is good. takes awhile in the oven, but the initial work is easy. my alterations are: i use 1" think boneless chops, can of GOLDEN mushroom soup (instead of regular), sautee shrooms to add (i love shrooms) and i reduce the baking time to 40/20. (the hour/30 minutes seemed too long). they come out perfect.

Beer brined pork chops??? Ummmmm Sounds interesting.... If you'd have time to post the recipe sometime, I'd love to see it! (I love grilled pork!)

Thanks for the marinade and the breading recipe Christine...I will definitely be trying these out.
    Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in heels!

This is the most brainless marinade for boneless porkchops, & so is the way we almost always do them:

* Place trimmed chops in a glass baking dish.
    * Spoon your favorite salsa over to cover + a little more. (can be bottled or home made)
    * Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the chops & salsa
    * Marinate for 1/2 hour to an hour in the fridge, turning & coating w/ the salsa a couple of times.
    * Grill (discard the marinade)
    (Serve w/ your favorite sides (we usually have a green salad & mexican rice)

This does 2 thick chops. Increase amounts for additional chops.

Any leftovers make great burritos.

CK, my rule of thumb for pork chops depends on how I cook them. I think the chops I get are more or less the same size--NEVER get those really thin ones they sell at the store. I like quarter loin chops with bone. The bone gives the chop a really good flavor. It is actually OK to eat pork steaks in America a bit undercooked since most of the pig farms are pretty sterile. I actually know a girl who's dad's a pig farmer and she was telling us how they'd suit up before entering any area with pigs.

anyway, back to the point. If I'm pan frying 2 chops at the same time, I cook them for no more than 10 min at med-hi heat, flipping only once. Let rest for a couple of minutes before serving. If I'm baking 2 chops at the same time, I bake at 350-375 for no more than 30 min., flipping only once. Let rest for a couple of minutes before serving. I never had dried or rare chops before using this method, so I'm assuming that it's doing OK.

Luckyfeather, if I can only put my hands on that recipe I'll post it! That's the problem with being a "clipper" -- those little slips of paper can disappear!

I just came from Epicurious and when you log into their home page there is a picture of a beer brined pork chop. I'm sure the recipe can't be too far away.

Patti O.

That's it! This will save me about five minutes of typing. Here's the link (if I did it right):
    http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=105298
    The pork came out very tender and flavorful. My comments:
    - I used boneless pork chops and they worked out fine.
    - I think the recipe would be fine even if it weren't a dark beer (I used Sam Adams Black & Tan, I believe. My FIL just about had a stroke seeing me "waste" that good beer).
    - I might reduce the amount of molasses used.
    - The rub didn't stick to the chops too well. Of course, I was in a hurry because the fire was ready. I don't know if there's a trick to this.
    Other than this, the recipe was excellent!

Mocha- I used the marinade on chops last night and it was great. Thanks for sharing. Vicky