Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk about Marathons or Other Running Events! :)

Cool Lets Talk about Marathons or Other Running Events! :)

Sounds like lots of us are training for marathons or other runs. Who wants to talk about how we re doing, what problems we might be having, what we like to eat/drink when in training, and whatever else we feel like talking about, of course!

I have to get my hair cut for the first time in months (it was fun having it long but it is time for a nice cut), so can t talk much now, but will be back. How is everyone doing?

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I am training for my first ever marathon- well, I am 95% there. I don't know if I will be able to run over 5 hours by myself I do the long runs with my friend, who isn't sure she wants to do it, but is running in case she does.

How do you guys run a marathon? With a friend? Walkman?

We ran 13 miles. Next week, we thankfully stay the same for the long run. Then it is up to 15. My body is really getting used to it.

Now if I could get rid of this mangy blister. I did finally get some blister pads so that should help.

Toodles!

I'm doing two running events in the next six month. The first is a race through Saguaro National Park East here in Tucson. The race is 8 miles on Labor day. The course is completely in the park and is very beautiful, but it has awful hills. I actually ran the course yesterday and had to stop and walk at the top of one hill that seemed to last a mile getting steeper and steeper. But I am really looking forward to making it up that hill in the race and flying down the other side! The next race is the Tucson half-marathon in December. I am actually training for it with 4 friends. This one is going to be fun too. It will be the first time I have been running with someone, and I am looking forward to having someone to talk to other than my own brain on runs.

I'm 3 weeks away from my one year aniversary of starting to run. I still can't believe I'm actually planning on running 13 miles....how crazy is that!

Lisa

Cool

Hi!

I had a good run today. Not all that long (10km or so), but it was still nice and I felt very good just cruising along. Along with Friday's run and last week's training, it's not bad. Not up to my usual standards of training, but there has been so much going on lately that it's hard to keep training as much as I used to. It should be better once I have my Masters out of the way!!

Molli,

You sound like you're progressing really quickly. Congrats! That's nice that you have a friend to do the long runs with. I used to do my long runs either with a group (big enough that I met different people relatively often), or alone. The last few long runs I've done in the past couple of months (from 10-13 miles) have been with my SO, which is a lot of fun. The long runs I did alone were a bit more difficult, and sometimes a tad boring, but they did give me a long time to think and test my discipline and mental strength.

Lisa,

That race sounds gorgeous!! Your description of the hill reminds me of a race I have done a couple of times (a 5-miler) with a few big hills, and the biggest one RIGHT before the finish line. The sense of triumph when you master the hill and cross over the line, though, makes it all more than worthwhile. That's great that you're training for a half marathon, too. Do something nice for yourself in 3 weeks' time to celebrate that anniversary. You deserve it!

Natasha

Lisa, I knew you would be hooked on racing once you tried it! The half-marathon is a great race distance, and an amazing accomplishment. Good luck with both events, and have fun!

It's really funny, Molli, but at some point your mileage will be up so high that 12 or 13 miles will seem like an easy run. It's amazing what we can get our bodies to do for us! Is your blister from your running shoes? Ouch!

I never run with a walkman, mostly because part of my run is always on a street somewhere. And in a race, I like to take in the whole experience especially if there's a lot of crowd support and/or live or recorded music along the course.

I enjoyed a great 8 miles on Saturday. It was my first official long run in the training program. I was supposed to run 3 miles on Sunday, but we moved into our new house Saturday afternoon and I was really tired Sunday morning. Plus I had a ton of unpacking to do! How do you like that? One week into training and already making excuses!

Originally posted by SusieO
    One week into training and already making excuses!
    It's NEVER too early to start making excuses! Seriously, glad you got out there for your 8 miles, and congratulations on your move!! We are set to move next month, so I may be borrowing your excuse around then.

Natasha

Is your blister from your running shoes? Ouch!

Not all of it. I got it 2 weeks ago. We ran 10 miles in the am, no problem. Went to a wedding that night and wore some sandals that weren't very comfortable after an hour - they are relatively new and danced the night away. I woke up the next morning with a blister Well, I kept popping it while running. I have a blister pad on it now, so hopefully it will clear up this week. It didn't pop on Sunday, so I am feeling pretty good about it

Natasha -- glad you started this thread! not enough running chatter these days.

Molli -- which marathon are you training for?

I typically do long runs with a walkman, but not my shorter runs. I'll turn off the music for part of the time, but it's good to have when my brain needs a little something different to focus on.

I ran a 5K on July 4 and made a PR! V. excited about that. DH wasn't there to share it with me, although it made me more proud that i did it by myself instead of just following his pace.

My training is going well and have been doing hills each week. I need to head to a track one of these days for some speedwork, too. that's never been a forte of mine, but i want to improve speed.

do any of you do speed work on a track? i've read about different track workouts, but really want to keep it simple and not worry too much about target rates + 10 seconds multiplied by my weight and divided by my race pace. Know what I mean?

Also, DH got me a heart rate monitor for my bday! my favorite new toy!

I am training for the Detroit Marathon.

I heard that it is supposed to end inside Ford Field, the new Lion's Stadium. How cool is that!

Molli -- that race sounds totally fun. Good luck! And stick with it no matter what your friend decides.

Here's another question for everyone.....how much do you cross-train? If you're working out 5x a week, how many of those days are cross-training days? What activities do you do besides running?

Hi gang!

Susan, good question! Here's my long-winded response:

When I'm in full training mode (which I'm not quite in right now, though getting there), I train 6 days/week and walk an hour or two on the seventh day. Of those days, I used to run 3-4 days a week (usually 4) and did elliptical or stationary bike - and maybe weights - the other two days.

This time around, my 6 days of training will probably be a bit different as I need to focus on more than running. I'd still like to run a few times a week (3-4), but also ride my mountain bike and do elliptical whenever I can. Weights are hard to stick in there but I should do that more regularly too. Plus I try to go to the pool whenever possible, though it's hard. The thing is, I have to co-ordinate my running and other disciplines, since right now I am training for both a marathon and an adventure race. So I have to stay in touch with biking, swimming, and canoeing as well as running. Kind of crazy, but after a few weeks I should be able to concentrate more on running.

How about all of you?

Natasha

I really don't cross-train like I should. I run 5 days a week and attend a yoga class once a week. Every now and then I'll hit the weights, but never more than once per week. And I have a 10-15 minute stretching routine that I do every single day no matter what!

Well it is nice to hear everybody is in full swing in their training. I have been doing a few small races 10K's but have run into a major road block. I have an injury. So I have cut back on running. (which is very hard for me). I have been training for the run up the mountain Aug 4th. My problem came when I started training for this race. I began trail runs and going up hills. Typically in my running I have run on fairly flat road. So now when I run my left knee has been swelling. I don't have any pain but the swelling has been getting worse with every run. I have been talking with my friend who is a PT and I have decided to try not to run for 2 weeks and only cross-train(bike and Swim) and see what happens to my knee. I did go to the doctor and didn't get any clear response except to weight train and Advil. So as of this weekend I will attempt to stop running for two weeks and see what happens.
    Although, now I am hooked on trail running.

Lisa- Congragulations on your one-year aniversary. Good for you for sticking with it. It sounds like you have some good goals and fun races coming up.

So to answer SusieO's question I will be cross training everyday. But prior to the injury I was swiming 2-3 times a week, running 4 times a week, and bike 2x a week. Alhtough I have a few triathlons I am looking at doing in the fall so I am trying to incorporate the cross training.

Molli when is the detroit marathon?

Anne

Hi everyone, I am trying to get back into a training program. I started running about a year ago and topped out in January with a 10 miler. After that race I had some knee problems. I am now doing about 4 miles 3x's a week. I would like to do another 10 miler. I have two training schedules. The first is for a race on September 7th (10 miles) and the other is on October 20th. I am going to see how my knee feels and judge which race I think I can do. I would also like to do the 10k on Thanksgiving, which I did last year. I would also like to do a half in the winter or early spring.

Last night I did my 4 miles and I just about died with the heat and humidity. Ideally, I would like to run 3-4 days a week and cross train (weights) on 2 days. It looks like this week I will run 3 times and lift once.

Good luck everyone!

The Detroit Marathon is October 6 (my wedding anniversary )

Right now, I am running 4-5 x a week, 1 day full rest and the other resting or aerobics or something. This is my first week of 5 days and I will be resting both. I also lifted the other day, and will try to continue that 1x a week.

Cool Marathoning... what a great thing

Not currently in the Marathon training mode but did 3 between Novemeber 2000 and October 2001 (Richmond, Boston {no didn't qualify - did some fund raising}, and Marine Corps). Been recovering from and injury and trying to get back into the swing. Back to running 4 days a week and trying to achieve a Boston qualifying time... 3:20 (male over 40).
    Look forward to chatting in this forum.

Cool

In two of three marathons I've had someone to run with - at least most of the way. The only way to make it to the end in my book... It is hard - even for me the incurable masochist (;->) to run 26.2 without another person suffering with me. the hardest part is finding someone from my area that is willing to go out as fast as I do.
    Keep truckin'
    Les
    Originally posted by Molli526
    I am training for my first ever marathon- well, I am 95% there. I don't know if I will be able to run over 5 hours by myself I do the long runs with my friend, who isn't sure she wants to do it, but is running in case she does.

How do you guys run a marathon? With a friend? Walkman?

We ran 13 miles. Next week, we thankfully stay the same for the long run. Then it is up to 15. My body is really getting used to it.

Now if I could get rid of this mangy blister. I did finally get some blister pads so that should help.

Toodles!

Welcome, Les! The Marine Corps Marathon is near the top of my list of marathons to participate in. It must have been an incredibly emotional experience last year. Which will you run to qualify for Boston?

Scout and olive101, best of luck working through the knee issues. I struggle with my own knee problems, and it's no fun. I have had good luck with a Cho-Pat (is that how you spell it?) strap. Started using it about three weeks ago, and haven't had any pain since.

Thumbs up Marathons et al

MCM was certainly a moving experience -- for lots of reasons. Probably the hardest thing was driving down the freeway and looking into the hole in the side of the Pentagon. The second was the portion of the Marathon that ran directly into the hole -- about 3/4 mile (hard to run for nearly 5 1/2 minutes looking into that). Thirdly was the fact that I lost a good friend who had worked for me at the Pentagon.

It looks like I'm going to try and run Kiawa (SP) in South Carolina in mid-December. Partly because I don't turn 40 until December 8 (and then I get another 5 minutes to qualify for Boston). If not there then maybe Disney or something right after the first of the year.

Welcome, Les! The Marine Corps Marathon is near the top of my list of marathons to participate in. It must have been an incredibly emotional experience last year. Which will you run to qualify for Boston?

Scout and olive101, best of luck working through the knee issues. I struggle with my own knee problems, and it's no fun. I have had good luck with a Cho-Pat (is that how you spell it?) strap. Started using it about three weeks ago, and haven't had any pain since.

Welcome to the BB, Les! We always need more runners to chat with, and more men, too (for diversity, ya know). I've always heard great things about MCM, but wasn't even thinking about the course going by the Pentagon. There was a lot of media coverage about the NYC marathon after 9/11, but I didn't hear about MCM. While it was hard, I bet it gave you some drive to keep pushing.

I'm not familiar w/the S Carolina race. You'll have to give us a report. I like to travel to new places for races.

I've never had someone run a marathon w/me (I'm training for only my 2nd one), but think I'm going to ask DH to run a portion w/me this Fall. He'll be in shape, as we're doing a 1/2 marathon together. I've had several people tell me this is a great thing to do (both for the marathoner, and even the running buddy). If you have a running buddy join you for just a portion of the race, where should they pick up? Mile 18 through the end? The middle?

Smile Where to join a Marathon

Where to have DH join you in the Marathon is a tough question. Some races are fairly picky about people running on the course without actually being entered in the race (but most smaller races aren't). A lot of the "where" depends on the course layout too. If the course is out and back then it is best to pick up at about 16 or 18 miles (most water stops are at the even mile posts). Otherwise, and this depends on the running intent of the partner, picking up about the half-marathon point generally works. If I were joining I'd look to enter the race course somewhere after a water stop - that way it is easier to find the runner in the crowd (the water stops usually have folks passing through as singles).

BTW: Dave's passing was a distinct motivation to complete the race - especially since I went out too fast and was really beaten by the finish.
    I'll let you know about the SC race too.
    Les
    Blazin' a trail...
    Originally posted by SusanMac
    Welcome to the BB, Les! We always need more runners to chat with, and more men, too (for diversity, ya know). I've always heard great things about MCM, but wasn't even thinking about the course going by the Pentagon. There was a lot of media coverage about the NYC marathon after 9/11, but I didn't hear about MCM. While it was hard, I bet it gave you some drive to keep pushing.

I'm not familiar w/the S Carolina race. You'll have to give us a report. I like to travel to new places for races.

I've never had someone run a marathon w/me (I'm training for only my 2nd one), but think I'm going to ask DH to run a portion w/me this Fall. He'll be in shape, as we're doing a 1/2 marathon together. I've had several people tell me this is a great thing to do (both for the marathoner, and even the running buddy). If you have a running buddy join you for just a portion of the race, where should they pick up? Mile 18 through the end? The middle?

Ah hah - I can post again! I was having trouble earlier this morning. Anyone else having posting problems, I wonder? Anyway, I'm just glad I can post again. I'm also happy because I had a great workout today - I ran a few miles and then did some challenging intervals on the elliptical trainer to really get the heart rate soaring. How is everyone doing these days?

Les,

Another welcome aboard. The MCM has always intrigued me and I would like to run it one day with my SO (he would love it). I cannot imagine how hard it must have been to run through that part. Good luck with your SC marathon in December!

So what does everyone like to eat before/after their long runs? I eat maybe a banana and possibly a bit of cereal (not the high-fibre stuff I usually eat), and always have some water beforehand. I also take a gel or two along with me, though I rarely have more than one, and, of course, lots more water or sometimes Gatorade. If there is enough time between when I wake up and when I do my long run, I will have a bit of caffeine (maybe a small cup of coffee), but if I wake up and run fairly soon afterwards, I forgo the caffeine until later. I do find that it helps me, though. Afterwards I have quite a bit of carbs and protein, including some antioxidants, though not necessarily all at once. Usually I will have something right away and then nibble for the next few hours, because my stomach can't take a big meal immediately afterwards.

I just picked up a copy of Liz Applegate's new book, Eat Smart, Play Hard that I had read about in a fairly recent issue of Runner's World (many of you will know that she is the RW nutrition columnist). While a lot of the stuff in the book is not unfamiliar to me, there is some info I didn't know, and I like the layout and recipes. Plus - and this may sound strange - reading books like that can sometimes be an additional way to keep myself motivated and "in the groove". The more I read and think like an athlete, the more focused I tend to be. I'll let you know more about the book once I've had more of a chance to delve into it. Still not as good as Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, though. I know I'm always talking about that book (no, I don't work for Nancy Clark ), but I consult it regularly for reference.

Natasha

Wink Eating before long runs

Natasha - Greetings back!
    What to eat before/after a long run... my typical Saturday (long run day) starts with a big bowl of Oatmeal and Waffle with syrup about 60-90 minutes prior to running - with coffee (either type). If the run lasts more than about 80 minutes I'll take a couple gels (1 for the first hour and 1 for every half hour after that more or less) and water as I go along. After the run we get together at Starbucks for a coffee hit and I normally have a granola bar or something like that (complex carbs and fruits) to go with the coffee. About 90 minutes after that I generally have a big bowl of Udon (Japanese noodle soup) with turkey and a sandwich generally chicken or turkey on whole wheat bread. Still having water all along the way.

Hope that is helpful.

Talk to you a soon...
    Blazin' a trail.
    Les

This morning was the first time I ate something before a long run. I usually wake up and go- I learned my lesson last week. Today I had 2 pieces of light bread with so peanut butter. I had more energy but we ran about 1/2 an hour later than last time and those last 2 miles were pretty tough. I am just in the mood to sit.

Unhappy Running and eating

Molli,
    Sorry to hear about the problems with the eating. I will say (1) it takes some time getting used to eating before running, (2) figuring out what will work for you when running, and (3) how soon after eating before you can comfortably run. My threshold is about 45 minutes (depending on intended speed) before running if I'm eating something more substantial than an apple/bannana or a granola bar. I have also found that foods higher in fat (like peanut butter) tend to upset my stomach and actually sap my energy by the end of a longer run. I try to stick with simple and complex carbs (toasted rice bars a la Gatorade is a good one about an hour prior) prior to long runs.
    BTW: what were the weather conditions like this morning? I have also found that if it is hotter than normal I'll have more problems eating before running. Also how far did you run? That will impact what/how you can eat too.
    Regardless, don't be discouraged - it takes time and a few "mistakes" to figure out how to eat before running. Keep it up though beacuse you will need the energy for the longer runs.
    Blazin' a trail,
    Les
    Originally posted by Molli526
    This morning was the first time I ate something before a long run. I usually wake up and go- I learned my lesson last week. Today I had 2 pieces of light bread with so peanut butter. I had more energy but we ran about 1/2 an hour later than last time and those last 2 miles were pretty tough. I am just in the mood to sit.

Re: Running and eating

Originally posted by Leslie Ferguson
    Molli,
    Sorry to hear about the problems with the eating. I will say (1) it takes some time getting used to eating before running, (2) figuring out what will work for you when running, and (3) how soon after eating before you can comfortably run
    Molli,

Don't feel bad. I agree wholeheartedly with the advice Les has given. I have been distance running for years and believe me, it did take a little while to see what worked for me. Also, definitely hot weather running (esp. if it's humid) can take quite the toll. There will always be days when you feel more or less strong, too - sometimes I chalk it up to just being more tired one week than another. If I don't get enough sleep or haven't been eating as well all week, it does tend to affect my running as well.

You did the 13 miles - and you deserve a big pat on the back. You go, girl!

Natasha

Hi Guys-

I should have been more clear in my writing Sorry.

The food I ate didn't give me any problems, I think. I will try some of those suggestions though as we are running 15 next week.

We actually ran faster than we did last week, I just had some clothing issues rubbing me the wrong way for the last couple of miles. I need some petroleum jelly for those spots and I forgot to buy some this week. I also had some intestinal stuff from eating too many bing cherries yesterday.

I love having you as resources.

I should add, my blister pads are miracles. My main blister is on the short road to recovery!

Red face Success -- even with the Running Shoe QBs

Molli (et al),
    Good to hear that the tips have helped. It is tough (especially in my position) to "jump in in the middle" of a discussion and give tips. I guess I think my way is better (often) but have to remember that what works for me works for me (and may not work for anyone else).

I know the "running faster" regieme and how you feel. That is to be expected and as long as you don't go out too fast close to your race you should be okay. Luckily I don't have to put up with too many physical conditions - blisters, chafing (thank goodness), and the like - just nurse old FB injuries.

Molli - Over the next 8 weeks or so will be the time to experiment with what works (but it sounds like you are an experienced runner so -- that is preaching to the choir).

Hope the rest of your training goes well... BTW what race are you training for?

Blazin along,
    Les

"Pain is temporary, pride is forever." The mantra of the Team D runner.

Hi All. Been lurking over here off and on--but with my half marathon in 3 months, I've got to get on the stick. My husband is training with me--though with two kids, we almost always have to run separately--which stinks. I was on vacation last week and did not run EVEN ONCE. Why is it when that happens it feels like it's been a month? As soon as I get my lazy self off the computer I'm off to the Y for a run. Thank goodness for the babysitting! I don't know what I'd do without it. The warm weather has helped my endurance but I've had some minor stomach "episodes" after a run. Typically I eat whatever before a run as long as I put an hour and a half to two hours distance after it, I'm all set. My water consumption needs to be higher---but I hate having to constantly come inside to go to the bathroom----lame I know.......

Our event is the AppleFest Half Marathon in Hollis NH in October. Good luck to all!

Kristi

Cool A Break before the half-marathon

Kristi, Taking a week off 3 months out from your race shouldn't hurt you. It always seemed that I missed a week before all my marathons - generally about 8 - 10 weeks out. As long as you are making your mileage.
    Yep, sucks about the water (no pun intended) - you gotta have it when you run but you hate to get rid of it while you run. The terrible question of "how much".
    AHHH - to be in NH in October. I'll be thinking of you as I'm in Newport (will be at the Naval War College from August through November). RI what a beautiful place to run but I'll still take Southern VA.