Community Message Boards

Thread: A recipe for Laugen Rolls?

A recipe for Laugen Rolls?

To prove that I am not hallucinating here is the site with a picture
    http://hofers.com/pretzelroll.htm
    Pretzel Rolls (Laugensemmel)

I couldn't get the picture up on the board
    We ate these rolls in a German Deli in Hong Kong. Would love to try to make them but still looking for the recipe. If anyone has one, could you please share? They were wonderful!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

here is the picture from the link.

they look great! did they taste like pretzels?

Susan,

just in case you were wondering...

the way I got the picture to come up was to right click on it and select "properties." then I found the web adress of the picture in the box that popped up. I highlighted it and copied it. then I cam to the post and clicked the image button and pasted the web address into the box.

Val

Thanks Val!

I am so impaired when it comes to graphics. They were delicious and I found a recipe, fortunately not in German.
    Hope to make them today or tomorrow, depending on how well the stuffed meatball shells turn out with homemade marinara! But our Laugens had salt, caraway seed, and poppy seeds on them. Here you go...

Welcome to the Kitchen!
    Laugen Brötchen
    These are a specialty of the southern part of Germany, where I grew up. Boiling them in baking soda water gives them a shiny brown coating, and gives them their unique taste. To taste the difference, put some rolls directly onto the cookie sheet, without dipping them in the soda water. They are delicious either way.
    4 cups flour,
    1 Tablespoon of dry yeast,
    2 Teaspoons salt,
    2 cups warm water.
    Mix the dry ingredients, stir in the 2 cups of warm water until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
    1/4 cup baking soda,
    5 cups water.
    Grease cookie sheets. Bring the baking soda to boil in the quart of water.
    Preheat oven to 400 F.
    Turn dough out onto floured surface, cut off pieces and shape into 2-3" balls.
    Let them rest for a few minutes, then flatten them.
    Carefully drop them upside down into the soda water. Let the water come back up to a boil then fish them back out with a strainer spoon. (The longer you leave them in there the stronger they will taste, experiment until you find the strength you like. You can also increase the amount of baking soda in the water while leaving the time the same to increase the taste.)
    Set on greased cookie sheet. Slit tops and bake for 15(soft)-25min(hard).
    Remove onto rack to cool. Taste best fresh. Traditionally served with unsalted butter, ham and cheese optional. They can also be formed into pretzels. They look very nice with their shiny dark brown crust and the white slit on top.
    [ Cabin Entrance ] [ Gallery ] [ Kitchen ] [ Bookshelf ] [ The Sunnydale Connection ]
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

They look delicious!!! Here's a recipe from Bon Appetit that looks similar.

PRETZEL ROLLS

These really do taste like pretzels, but they're shaped like regular dinner rolls. Quick-rising yeast makes them a cinch to prepare, and boiling them before baking is the secret to their superb texture.

2 3/4 cups bread flour
    1 envelope quick-rising yeast

1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon celery seeds
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (about) hot water (125°F to 130°F)

Cornmeal
    8 cups water
    1/4 cup baking soda
    2 tablespoons sugar

1 egg white, beaten to blend (glaze)
    Coarse salt

Combine bread flour, 1 envelope yeast, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and celery seeds in food processor and blend. With machine running, gradually pour hot water through feed tube, adding enough water to form smooth elastic dough. Process 1 minute to knead. Grease medium bowl. Add dough to bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then towel; let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 35 minutes.

Flour baking sheet. Punch dough down and knead on lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 8 pieces. Form each dough piece into ball. Place dough balls on prepared sheet, flattening each slightly. Using serrated knife, cut X in top center of each dough ball. Cover with towel and let dough balls rise until almost doubled in volume, about 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease another baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bring 8 cups water to boil in large saucepan. Add baking soda and 2 tablespoons sugar (water will foam up). Add 4 rolls and cook 30 seconds per side. Using slotted spoon, transfer rolls to prepared sheet, arranging X side up. Repeat with remaining rolls.

Brush rolls with egg white glaze. Sprinkle rolls generously with coarse salt. Bake rolls until brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Serve rolls warm or room temperature. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 375°F oven 10 minutes.)

Makes 8.

Bon Appétit
    January 1994

wow those do look good. way too much work for me now that I have a baby though.

if you make them, I will be in awe.

Too much work for me too. Luckily, Herb's bakery (just down the street) does a great job on these! Even my husband, who is much less of a bread-a-holic than I am, LOVES these. Good luck on your recipe!

They were fabulous...

and they did not take long to make!!
    Wish I had an Herb's Bakery!!
    I think I had two dozen, I boiled half and just baked the other half. Not one was left over as of 9:00PM last night! Except, DH, dare I call him that now, ate the tops off the ones that weren't boiled!! I was so upset. His apology included that the tops were the best part of the "unboiled ones!" I did put the salt and seeds on top of them!
    I think I will try from TLee's recipe to glaze them. Boiling them really changed the color, mine were just as attractive as the ones in Val's picture.
    (I may try to make some this morning or tomorrow, they were really easy and my neighbors wanted some to try!)

SusanL - there's no sugar in the recipe you posted. How did you get the rolls to rise? Or did you use funnybones' recipe?

Also, I noticed that between the 2 recipes, you slit the tops before boiling in one and afterward in the other. Which did you do?

These look fabulous! I can't wait to try them!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.