Community Message Boards

Thread: Marsala Wine

Marsala Wine

How long does a bottle of Marsala wine last after it is opened? Should it be refrigerated? I have an old bottle from the last time I made chicken marsala and I was wondering if I could use the same bottle to make it again, but I have kept it at room temparture for several months. What is the rule of thumb for this type of cooking wine?

I'd dump your old Marsala. You can generally keep opened wine - in the refrigerator - for 3 - 5 days. I use one of those inexpensive vacuum stoppers to keep it fresher.

Here's an "expert's opinion" I found on a quick search on the web (I felt the need to "validate" my opinion )

Q: How long is a red wine good for once it is opened, even if it is corked? And I hear refrigerating a red will ruin it. True?

A: Refrigerating wine doesn't ruin it. In fact, it slows down the spoilage. As to how long you can keep it under refrigeration, I'd say two to five days, depending on the wine. Wines in gallon jugs can last longer. However, I've noticed that red wines, especially the better wines, are never as good after they have been kept in the refrigerator, even when brought to room temperature, which you should do before drinking. If the remainder of a newly opened bottle of wine will be consumed entirely the following day, I'd recommend keeping it at room temperature, preferably in the coolest area. Since air is the enemy of wine, one tip for storage of leftover wine is to pour the contents of a full bottle (750ml) into an empty half bottle (375ml). This reduces the amount of air that comes in contact with the wine in the bottle.

Marsala is a fortified wine (fortified with brandy)...it will keep unrefrigerated longer than a regular bottle of red wine.
    I have tried to find a time-frame....but haven't located anything on the web that will back-up an exact time.
    I have kept my port, opened and unrefrigerated for months.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Duh -

I didn't realize Marsala was a fortified wine (I feel stupid). I keep my opened sherry and port in the fridge.... for a good looong time. I didn't realize they'd be fine in the pantry as well. Thanks, wallycat!

Port, Marsala and Sherry I keep open in the cupboard for months on end. I haven't had one go bad yet.
    So many recipies, so little time....