Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Help w/ Sides to go w/ Pork Tenderloin!

Post Need Help w/ Sides to go w/ Pork Tenderloin!

I am making a Pork Tenderloin w/ Dijon Mustard Sauce for a holiday dinner party. I need suggestions for sides to go along with it (I'm thinking wild rice pilaf and one or two vegetables of some sort). Also, I'd like any suggestions you may have as to whether an appetizer, soup, salad, etc. should be served and if so, what that should be... Just menu help in general!

I would like to be able to prepare as much as possible in advance so I'm in the kitchen as little as possible when my friends arrive.

Also (one more question!), the pork recipe calls for the 2 lb. tenderloin to be baked in the oven, but I was wondering if it would be more tender cooked in the slow cooker...

Would love any input you may have. Everyone is always so helpful, so I thought this would be a great resource with some of these questions!!

I totally agree with the rice pilaf. That sounds pretty good. I usually steam some broccoli with my pork tenderloin and either serve it plain or with a little something on it- lemon juice or a seasoning. Apples are always a good idea with pork. They are supposed to aid in the digestion of pork.

We eat a lot of pork tenderloin. I love doing things with red cabbage and fruit chutneys with it. A red cabbage with apples or a pear chutney would be great. I know there are a few c/l recipes.

Mrs. Reber and Joyce, do you think the dijon mustard sauce would go okay with some type of fruit based dish (apples, pear chutney, etc.)? (I rarely eat pork and have never actually cooked it, so this is an experiment.) Thanks for the input!

Hi Kristi. Mmm pork tenderloin...yummy!
    I think a rice pilaf would be great, broccoli sounds good or a combination of vegetables steamed. a big salad would be nice. About soup since its Fall what about a butternut squash soup. You could make it ahead and reheat at low heat. What about some bread either bought or made or an assortment in a basket and just to make it extra fancy use your melon ball maker and make butter balls or make ahead some herb butter...I think a nice red wine would be nice a cabernet or if you prefer a merlot.
    For dessert you could make it a day before a cake or if you prefer one of the pies (CL had several) coffee/tea...maybe a port? and relax and enjoy

Smile

I love roast pork too and my family always wants roasted potatoes with it, so that is the standard in our house. Leave your slow cooker on the shelf for this cut of meat. Tenderloins are very tender and are best oven roasted which doesn't take no time at all. Pear chutney sounds yummy. How about some baked apples that can be done the day before and then just reheat in the microwave before serving time. Enjoy and let us know what you decide and how it comes out.

My husband and I cook pork tenderloin all of the time. We love it. I just season it or use a merinade and cook at 425-450 until meat thermometer reads 160-165. It sears the outside and keeps the meat so juicy. It is a melt in your mouth meat.
    We usually serve roasted potatoes, asparagus, brown sugared carrots, zucchini, squash mix--more elegant dinner.
    Or for a more casual dinner you could make a broccoli, rice casserole.
    If you went with a more formal affair, I would definitely start with the butternut squash soup suggested.
    Let us know what you decide and the reviews!

Thanks guys! I will let you know when I finally decide on the menu. I'm thinking I may try some of this stuff out first...although, honestly these are all close friends so I feel comfortable enough experimenting on them! What about the Canadian Cheese Soup w/ Pumpernickel Croutons posted as one of the weekly topics? Has anyone tried that? Or the Belgian Endive and Apple Salad from Nov. 2000?

I think the fruit would compliment the mustard sauce. I also think the endive salad would be perfect!

Kristi
    I made the apple lasagne this past weekend and served it with pork. You can find the recipe at
    www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/002233.html
    You make it ahead of time and it covers the starch/fruit and veggie category and it was delicious!

I think i'd go for some sort of creamy sweet potato dish to go with the savory pork and dijon. Roasted rosemary potatoes would also be nice. But I agree, something sweet would really compliment, but it a sweet potato dish or a chutney.

I had to check your profile to see if you were my dinner host for this weekend! We're going to my husband's cousin's house, and his wife is named Kris. She's making a pork tenderloin and we're all bringing side dishes. I had already decided to make a wild rice pilaf, so I guess we're on the same page there. I was considering some chopped dried apricots and pecans in the wild rice. CL has an apricot-glazed pork roast that includes apricot preserves, dijon, and thyme. Great flavor combo. I hope your dinner goes well!

Wow Vanessa, you can plan my dinners anytime! The breads sure sound good, or some home made rolls. Butternut squash soup is so good, too.

How about an onion confit? Thinly slice lots of onions, 2 large red and one yellow, toss with olive oil and dried sage with a pinch of sugar and bake in oven for about 75 minutes at 350 or so. Very tasty and smells great too!

Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas! I'm still pondering... but will post the menu and results after the dinner.

Marcie, let me know how your pork tenderloin dinner turns out...what all is served and especially how your wild rice pilaf went over!