Community Message Boards

Poll: Which city for our gathering?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the handoff from Eva

Hybrid View

Unhappy Taking the handoff from Eva

Eek! I haven't checked the board this weekend and all hell broke loose. Everyone take a deep breath. And thanks, Eva, for the legwork done thus far.

It seemed to me like everyone posted some really wise words on Eva's thread. Just to reiterate: Everyone is welcome at this reunion. <Insert group hug here>

Since I don't want this to die in the throes of PMS or whatever is going on, I thought I'd initiate the (hopefully) final poll to get the location set so we can pick a weekend. There seems to be a lot of leftover interest in Chicago, so I've resurrected that one.

Ground rules:
    1) If you have no intention of making the trip, please don't vote and skew the results.
    2) I realize that you only have one vote to cast-- that's the point! We need to narrow this down. Maureen, you of course have one voye.
    3) Remember that not everyone is going to be happy with the result, but there will be other gatherings and other years. Keep your chin up!

xoxo

I voted Tahoe, because I like to get away <Lenny Kravitz singing, anyone?>. However, if the results turn out to be Denver, you can pass the ball my way; I'd really like to stay in that condo in Breck

em

I voted chicago because it's only 2 hours away....but it does depend on when it will be...DH and I are planning another trip out west to find "our new home"--as he so cutely says it
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

My evil twin (her name is Dinah) wanted so badly to type "What about Austin???"......but I didn't let her.......

I voted. And thanks Lisa - you're a doll. XOXOXOXOX

I voted (again) for Denver. Easiest of all the choices for me to get in and out of. The place em found looked like it would be fun.

And I love to watch em when she's on a mission—abracadabra, it's done, no problem. You say em is a very busy person, working long hours, and commuting everywhere across the country? Think how much fun she'd have planning a fun-filled weekend for the rest of us. I volunteer to be your galley-slave, em, whatever that means.

I could manage Tahoe too. Chicago would be my last choice, but I would probably even go there. Since it's my 3rd choice, I don't think my iffiness matters too much.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I voted Tahoe, of course, and I can happily help with the planning. I talked to DH and we think I could probably come to Denver, if it gets chosen, can't help with the planning there, though .
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

voting again for Denver....

For the same reasons I voted Denver the first time! Two kids living in Littleton and it would be a great time to see them and do a CL weekend in the same trip!
    ~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

I LOVE YOU, LISA NUMBERS!!!

I voted for Lake Tahoe (although Denver is tempting too) and although I am in the other end of the state, I will be happy to help where ever I can - even if it means arriving a day early to help.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

I love you too, Wendy w!

When should we cut off the voting and move forward? I'm sure some of us are probably on vacation... maybe close the polls July 31?

Originally posted by lisas3575
    I love you too, Wendy w!

When should we cut off the voting and move forward? I'm sure some of us are probably on vacation... maybe close the polls July 31?
    Awww, shucks! I think that closing the polls on the 31st is a great idea! It will give people lots of time to vote.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Thanks Lisa - I voted too! xoxoxo

RAH RAH RAH SIS BOOM BAH!

GOOOOO DENVER!

~~~Diane~~~
    I lift up my eyes to the hills-
    where does my help come from?
    My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
    Psalms 121:1,2

I voted Denver too, but am willing to go to either of the other places if they "win".

I would be willing to do legwork for Denver if that is needed.

I voted for Denver even though I think I was the one who brought up Tahoe in the first place while we were in Seattle! It's just that I've been to Tahoe many times but I've never been to Denver... I also LOVE that condo that Emily showed us! Either way, I'm there! Will someone give me a general season that we're planning this thing? I thought it was supposed to be next February or March but I've heard other dates tossed about and I'm confused!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Yeah, I'm confused about dates too. Well, not so much confused as curious. I know there are a few people who love the snow and would like to get out in it, but I also know there are those who prefer to be warm all the time (not naming names, Susan ). Ideal for me is warm during the day and chilly at night. In which case, April - May. Ski season runs until the end of April, but this year closed earlier than that. However, I think trying to fit in skiing might be tricky, since it's expensive if you're not going to ski the whole day. And it's not all that social. However, there's definately hiking, snow shoeing, sitting around a fire with cocoa playing Scrabble (I'm not the only one who loves Scrabble, right?)

I don't know about up in the mountains, but right now in Denver it's HOT. Too hot. So I don't think we should do summer. Oh, and I definately want to avoid "spring break" times and MLK's birthday because the mountains are crowded and I don't like that

So how about people start throwing out dates. I'll start, April 26, May 2, May 9. One of those maybe Easter, and I assume we'll want to exclude that, unless people want to do it then because of vacation time, etc.

Enough rambling, off to a meeting

e

I voted Chicago because I have never been in the city and am fascinated by it. However, all three choices are fine for me. I love Colorado (and definately wouldn't mind skiing ). Tahoe is one of my favorite spots year round and I will be very happy to assist Missi and others in planning and executing it there.

As far as dates, didn't we discuss June? Perhaps right after school lets out for all of the teachers and mothers out there. (Although Suzy has Little League to contend with in June). I only teach part time so could probably fit in a weekend during the school year, but others may not be able to. Plus mothers may have problems working a school year weekend in with child activities and responsibilities. Just something to consider...

Peggy

Originally posted by emily
    So how about people start throwing out dates. I'll start, April 26, May 2, May 9. One of those maybe Easter, and I assume we'll want to exclude that, unless people want to do it then because of vacation time, etc.
    e
    I won't be joining you for the gathering on the West Coast, but I thought I'd let you all know that Easter next year is April 20th.

- E.

(I'm not the only one who loves Scrabble, right?)
    Nope - Scrabble lover here too!

I'm not a skiier, but I'll be flexible - I can find something to do when y'all are skiing!

Originally posted by SandyM
    I'm not a skiier, but I'll be flexible - I can find something to do when y'all are skiing!
    Yeah, we'll suffer without y'all...we'll go shopping.

(I'm not the only one who loves Scrabble, right?)
    Well, let's just say that I am no longer allowed to play Scrabble with people that I want to stay my friends.

As for skiing, I'm a snowboarder myself, but a weekend seems like an awfully short time to try to squeeze too many "activities" in. I was exhausted by the time I got back from Seattle, but maybe that's just me. I would probably pass on hitting the slopes, unless I was coming out for more than just the weekend (which is a decent possibility for Denver, but not for Tahoe).

Originally posted by Jewel

Yeah, we'll suffer without y'all...we'll go shopping.
    I'm there! Or playing scrabble!

Maxine

I too would like to thank Eva for all the thought and work she has put into this project. This is my first time looking at the Re-union board in a week and I am really saddened by some of the comments. My motto here is to always give people the benfit of the doubt. No one one wants to exclude anyone!!!Well others have said it all way better than I ever could!
    I won't voye this time.If I am honest with myself I have to admit I probably won't make to the next reunion. With limited travel money I have to be very selective. My goal next year is to celebrate DH's birthday (his 60th!!!) in somewhere like Paris. But hey I am up for 2004!!! It may take us that long to pick a place anyway!!
    Love to all, Maureen
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Originally posted by kima
    My goal next year is to celebrate DH's birthday (his 60th!!!) in somewhere like Paris. But hey I am up for 2004!!! It may take us that long to pick a place anyway!!
    Love to all, Maureen
    So next year we gather in Paris !

I voted Denver, altho I have been both there and Chicago. I will do my best. YOu all decide on a date and I will see if I can come, based on what is happening at school.

March will be harder (not impossible) because Spring Break is in March and my mom and I are planning a trip.
    Originally, April was going to be a BIG no, because the big TAAS test is at the end of April and I would need to be on teacher overdrive, but now that Ive been moved to 1st grade, NO TAAS!!!

I guess the point is, you all plan, and I will do what I can

ps...I will be amongst those NOT skiing...would LOVE to sit in front of a roaring fire and drink wine, though
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

PS Jewel

Are you bringing your cute DH???
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

From a practical point of view, it seems to make more sense to go when we don't have to worry as much about snow or closed passes or weather delays. It really doesn't have anything to do with my aversion to cold weather. Really! And I would rather not totally embarass myself trying to ski—I can do that just as well playing Scrabble. Wow, it's been years since I played Scrabble. Maybe we could all smuggle in a board game—Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Balderdash? After all, the idea was to be able to spend more time with one another, right?

I still have one left in school, but he's a junior in high school, and I could probably manage something during the school year. I would not come if it were at Easter because that's an important religious celebration for my family. And May 5 is my 30th anniversary. It might be nice if I still had a little energy left for DH and enough money left for a nice dinner out. With the exception of those two dates, April or early May sound good though. School here runs through the 1st week of June, and in the 2 or 3 weeks before school ends the activities increase dramatically, so I might run into more conflicts then.

PS. What fun—more fire sitters than I thought! Go have fun, em. We'll have something warm waiting for you when you get back.
    Susan

Thanks for taking the next step, Lisa! I voted for Tahoe, though, as I said in the other poll, I'm equally happy in Denver. If Chicago became the location, I'd have to consult the Travelocity crystal ball before committing. As far as dates go, any of the suggested dates work for me. Around July, things start getting a bit dicey, but otherwise, I'm pretty open as to date. Oh, and I'll bring Taboo!

-Amanda
    "Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say: This is my community, and it's my responsibility to make it better."-Tom McCall (Oregon governor from 1967-1975)

I will bring Crainium...WAY to fun!!!
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Yes, Cranium definitely lends itself to massive hilarity.
    Susan

Re: PS Jewel

Originally posted by kwormann
    Are you bringing your cute DH???
    'Cute DH' (aka Elmo ) is perfectly content to either come with me or stay home. He says it's completely up to me and to the group. If several husbands end up coming he says he's game, but if it's all girly stuff he says he'll stay home and do something manly like rip up a tree stump.