Community Message Boards

Thread: Tahini substitute?

Tahini substitute?

Is there anything that could be used instead of tahini?

I have made hummus with peanut butter instead of tahini, but I wouldn't recommend that substitution in general. the recipe that I used (Don Mauer's, I think) called for pb, I didn't just do it on my own. (It was great, by the way.)

the foodsubs website doesn't have any ideas (that I saw).

val

That's a good question...tahini has such a distinct flavor I wouldn't know what would be comparable. Sunflower butter?
    sassysu3

Cook's Thesaurus to the rescue again:

"sesame paste = sesame seed paste = tahini = tahina Pronunciation: tuh-HEE-nee
    Notes: This is a paste made from ordinary white sesame seeds. It's used in the Middle East to make hummus, baba ghanouj, and sauces. The oil tends to rise to the top, so stir before using. Once you've opened it, store it in the refrigerator unless you plan to use it up within a week or so.
    To make your own: In a blender, mix white sesame seeds with a small amount of peanut oil (or other oil) until creamy
    Substitutes: sesame butter (thicker) OR 3 parts creamy peanut butter + 1 part sesame oil OR toasted sesame seeds (for hummus) OR toasted sesame oil (for hummus) OR peanut butter (for sauces)"

So glad someone asked this question because I have passed on so many recipes because I can never find tahini. And thanks, Ralph, for the sub info...never thought to look it up there and I'm always looking there for info!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Yes, Ralph, thanks for looking it up, I never thought of it either. Now I can make Alton Brown's baba ghanouj.