Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Overnight Oatmeal Muffins Aug '02

Thumbs up Review: Overnight Oatmeal Muffins Aug '02

These were yummy! Different, but very tasty, and easy to put together.

I love that these muffins are so full of fiber, with the oatmeal and whole wheat flour. The buttermilk made everything nice and creamy, and very moist. I used 1/3 cup dried blueberries and 1/3 cup dried cherries for variety. They were a little sweeter than the usual muffin recipe with all of the brown sugar and dried fruit, but I thought they needed it to stand up to the fiber. I measured, and only got 21 muffins instead of 24. Will definitely make these again.

Apologies for not posting the recipe here - I'm at work and left my CL at home . Will edit tonight to add the recipe.

Thanks so much for this review. I have been eyeing those muffins ever since I received the August issue. 24 muffins is a lot. Do you think they would freeze well?

I am making these today. The oats are still soaking. Haven't got around to putting the batter together yet. Glad to hear they are good.

I also made this recipe this weekend, using tropical dried fruit bits because that is what I had in the house. My DH and I both liked the texture of these muffins. I was concerned that the oatmeal and whole-wheat flour would make the muffins too dense, but that was not a problem, although I might not call them light and fluffy.

Gwendolyn, we froze the muffins (I got 21 or 22) and they've been fine.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Thumbs up

These are really tasty and very easy to put together. I meant to pick up some dates when I was at the store this morning. I wanted to use dates rather than dried blueberries (which I looked for but couldn't find). Anyway, I forgot to get the dates.

The good news is:
    these muffins are even yummy without the fruit. (the recipe even notes that you can make them without the fruit.)

The better news is:
    these muffins are repeaters and now that I have tried them, I think that dates would work nicely with this recipe.

Val

Count my batch as a thumbs up as well! 21 seems to be the magic number because that's all I got out of my batter. I used 1/2 fresh blueberries (mis-read the recipe, until I was dumping the blueberries in the batter!) and 1/2 craisins. I think the dried fruit definitely would be better for these because my blueberries on the edges of the muffins kind of melted onto the pan and made them more difficult to remove. Nice to hear that they freeze well!

I wanted to try these out as soon as I saw them. However, I don't have my magazine yet (only seen it in the store). Would someone mind sharing?

I would be using fresh blueberries as I just bought a HUGH container of them - they are my latest addiction (I have gone through 3 qts in a week ). Any tips Nancy_East on using fresh blueberries?

YP

I'm really glad ya'll tried the recipe. I thought it would be good to try dried cranberries. I bought a variety pack at Sam's, and now I have lots of little boxes of dried cranberries. I think I will go ahead and give this recipe a try.

Overnight Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup regular oats
    2 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tab. vegetable oil
    1 teas. baking powder
    1 teas. baking soda
    1 teas. salt
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup dried blueberries
    cooking spray

1. Combine oats & buttermilk in a med. bowl; cover & refrigerate overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 350

3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level w/knife. Place buttermilk mixture, flour, & next 6 ingredients (flour through eggs) in a large bowl; beat w/a mixer at med. speed until smooth. Fold in blueberries.

4. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each of 24 miffins cups coated w/cooking spray/ Bake at 350 for 15 min. or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack. Yield: 24 servings.
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

Thanks mochadelsol,

I'm not very good with muffins to be honest. Do you think you could adapt this and make it a quick bread?

Does anyone know how you do that? Would I start by halving the recipe to yield only 12 muffins? I only have a 9x5 loaf pan.

YP

mochadelsol - thanks so much for posting the recipe! DH was busy on the computer last night and I forgot all about it .

YP - no suggestions on making the recipe into a quick bread, but if you do use fresh blueberries, try rolling them in a tablespoon or two of flour first. It helps "anchor" them in the batter and keeps them from falling to the bottom during cooking.

YP, what about putting the batter into a brownie size pan? ya know the ones 1/2 the size of the large flat cake. You try it first and let us all know
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

I hoped these would get a good review. The recipe sounds good and I want to give them a try. I just don't think a "boring" muffin is worth it - there's so many of those in the world already! I like sweet so I'll be sure to use a dried fruit. And I like the tip about rolling in flour first so the fruit doesn't sink - what a good idea!

mochadelsol ... as much as I would love to be your guinea pig I don't own a brownie pan . I'm not really a baker, so my supply of baking pans etc etc is low. Funny though, I have an abudance of baking goods - chips, oatmeal, flour, icing sugar, extracts, - go figure eh? I think I'll just throw it into a bread pan.

KathrynY, thanks for the tip. Never heard that one before.

YP

I want to make these but I don't know where I could find dried blueberries. Any suggestions?

yorkshirepud, I looked at the recipe and I believe if you make the entire recipe you could use a 9" x13" cake pan. As for baking time, I'd check at 30 minutes but would probably need around 45 minutes.

Melis104

I am planning on making the muffins tomorrow with orange-flavored craisins, and maybe adding some nuts too.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

Originally posted by melis104
    I want to make these but I don't know where I could find dried blueberries. Any suggestions?
    Since you're from CT maybe Trader Joe's in Fairfield has them. I haven't looked for them there but they have a lot of unconventional stuff, I'd give them a call. Have you been to the Penzeys spice store in Norwalk? It's a quick drive off I95. Another great place!

I made these today without any fruit and they are very good. Not too sweet. I think they'll be awesome w/ some peanut butter. I'm going to make them next time w/ fresh blueberries.

I saw some dried blueberries at Central Market in the bulk section (maybe try the bulk section in a specialty store near you?), along with dried strawberries and dried whole bananas!

Thanks for the help. Actually I did try trader joes and they had them. I made the muffins this morning and they were great. They are only two points for those on ww.

I ran to Trader Joe's today and bought their "Dried Berry Medley" (dried strawberries, cherries, and blueberries). I thought they would taste good in the muffins. Right now I have the oats and buttermilk soaking, BUT checked the pantry and found I am out of wheat flour (only have white) and only have light brown sugar. Do you think the muffins would still work with these ingredients, or do I need to go back out to the store?

Thanks!
    --Sasha

I also was going to try this one. Frankly, I'm not much of a baker and I've been told that the reason my muffins were rubbery was probably over mixing. So, I was confused when this recipe instucts:

" Place buttermilk mixture, flour, & next 6 ingredients (flour through eggs) in a large bowl; beat w/a mixer at med. speed until smooth. Fold in blueberries".

Don't muffin recipes usually say: mix just until blended, do not overmix?
    Help

Thanks for the info, cyber baker friends!

Ellyn

Originally posted by Sasha
    I ran to Trader Joe's today and bought their "Dried Berry Medley" (dried strawberries, cherries, and blueberries). I thought they would taste good in the muffins. Right now I have the oats and buttermilk soaking, BUT checked the pantry and found I am out of wheat flour (only have white) and only have light brown sugar. Do you think the muffins would still work with these ingredients, or do I need to go back out to the store?

Thanks!
    --Sasha
    Sasha, I would think that the recipe would work out fine with white flour and light brown sugar - the problems usually happen if you go the other way when subbing (at least for the flour).

Originally posted by eas11
    I also was going to try this one. Frankly, I'm not much of a baker and I've been told that the reason my muffins were rubbery was probably over mixing. So, I was confused when this recipe instucts:

" Place buttermilk mixture, flour, & next 6 ingredients (flour through eggs) in a large bowl; beat w/a mixer at med. speed until smooth. Fold in blueberries".

Don't muffin recipes usually say: mix just until blended, do not overmix?
    Help

Thanks for the info, cyber baker friends!

Ellyn
    I'm puzzled, too - I would probably mix it gently by hand until it's smooth, rather than use the mixer.

I made this with my hand mixer and then added dried cranberries. The muffins came out fine, with nice texture.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

I was confused by the instructions too, but I made them in my KitchenAid anyway, mixing it til smooth (althought it's hard to tell if it is smooth because of the oats). They came out great, tender and moist. Not tough. Maybe since you're using only whole wheat flour it can take the extra mixing.

One question for everyone - did everyone let the mixture sit overnight as the recipe stated, or did you just give it a few hours?

I have intended to make this recipe, but come the evening, I forget or other things come up.

My mixture sat for almost 24 hours because I couldn't get to them in the morning. Still came out perfect. Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

mine sat for more than overnight. maybe for 15 hours or so.

I was worried about beating muffin batter with a mixer, too. but I did it anyway and the muffins weren't at all tough.

Mine came out perfect too-beating and all. I only got 22