Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISO: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I do still have it, but thank you for offering! I even have pudding in the cupboard, 'cause I bought a bunch so that I can experiment with pudding pops for DF.

Originally posted by Linda in MO
    These are tried and true and to-die-for! I don't make regular chocolate chip cookies anymore.

I finally got around to trying the malt chocolate chip cookies. They were really good, but I couldn't taste much malt. I'm going to take some over to my neighbor and see what she thinks.

Thanks for the recipe, Linda!

By the way. I only had to bake mine for 10 minutes. I guess I have a pretty fast oven because the recipe said 10-14.

No, the malt flavor isn't very strong, but it must add something good to the cookies because I love them! Glad they turned out well for you. I don't repeat recipes often, but this is one of my old stand-bys and I've made them numerous times.

I could really smell the malt in the dough and it smelled good. Maybe the malt helped the texture. These cookies were very sturdy and dense -- in a good way. They'd be good for mailing. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over the course of two days. I've noticed that Tollhouse Cookies don't taste nearly as good after sitting around for two days.

I made the malted chocolate chip cookies, too.

They were really great. I tasted the malt a little bit. But it wasn't pronounced. I do think it added a little something special though.

Next time I will cut back on the amount of chips. I like a high dough to chip ratio.

I will definitely make these again. thanks for the recipe, linda!

Originally posted by valchemist
    Next time I will cut back on the amount of chips. I like a hight dough to chip ratio.
    It's funny that you mention this, Val. I was thinking the same thing the last time I made these, but then again I've been a little anti-chocolate lately since I got sick from the flu on Valentine's day and puked chocolate ganache cake!

Originally posted by Linda in MO

It's funny that you mention this, Val. I was thinking the same thing the last time I made these, but then again I've been a little anti-chocolate lately since I got sick from the flu on Valentine's day and puked chocolate ganache cake!
    LOL!!!! Poor Linda.

Now Val did say high DOUGH to chip ratio...which means more dough less chocolate.

Surely you're over your anti-chocolate thing by now? I like a high CHIP to dough ratio myself. Maybe that's why I didn't detect as much malt. I was too busy tasting the chocolate.

I don't care for chewy cookies, has anyone got a good one that isn't???
    Curleytop

Which thread is the pudding cookie mix on? DH only likes chewy chocolate chip cookies. I even have a book called "The Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie" with recipes from many different cooks, including Marcy Goldman from betterbaking.com. So far, we've found some we like, but never "THE" one.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Loren-

Here is the Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 cups butter -- softened
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 packages instant vanilla pudding mix -- (3.4 ounce)
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here is Alton Brown's chwey chocolate chip cookie

The Chewy

Recipe By :Alton Brown
    Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:20

2 sticks unsalted butter
    2 1/4 cups bread flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 1/4 cups brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Start to Finish Time:
    "0:35"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 180 Calories; 10g Fat (48.1% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 30mg Cholesterol; 112mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here is another one from Cook's Illustrated. Now I want cookies! Bad Loren

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By :Cook's Illustrated
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00

2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour -- (2 cups plus 2
    tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 1/2 sticks)
    melted and cooled until warm
    1 cup light or dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
    -- (1 to 2)

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower- middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in desired amount of chips.

3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Each half will have a jagged surface where it was ripped from the other; rotate each half up so the jagged surface faced the ceiling and press the halves back into one ball so that the top surface remains jagged. (The nooks and crannies you have created will give the baked cookies an attractive and somewhat rough, uneven appearance.) Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined cookie sheets, about 9 balls per sheet.

4. Bake, reversing cookies sheets' positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

Recipe provided by the editors of Cook's Illustrated.

Weight Watchers: 1 cookie = 5 points

Sue's Notes: I didn't perform the "pull, rip and rotate" thing. Used silpats and also used a cookie scoop which is probably about a good heaping tablespoon of dough. They came out fine.

Source:
    "Cook's Illustrated"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 144 Calories; 8g Fat (48.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 96mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : NOTES From Cooks Illustrated : Getting the Recipe Right
    Most cookies start with creamed butter. Creaming incorporates air into the dough, resulting in an undesirable (in these cookies) lightness. Our thoughts sifted to chewy brownies and blondies, both of which typically begin with melted butter. We tried both creamed and melted butter and found that melted butter did indeed give us the dense, chewy texture that we were after. Then, we tried unbleached and bleached flour to see which would yield the most tender cookie. Bleached flour, with less protein than unbleached flour, helps make the cookie crispy and crunchy on the outside and tender inside. The texture of the just-baked cookies was good, but as they cooled, they hardened.

We turned to the one factor that we hadn't yet fully examined--the egg factor--and found that one whole egg plus one egg yolk keeps the cookies soft and pliable hours after emerging from the oven. Also, cooling the cookies directly on the cookie sheet promotes the soft, chewy texture. Finally, we had a thick, chewy chocolate-chip cookie that could rival any gourmet bakery's.
    The simple cookie with the gourmet touch
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Originally posted by Gracie
    Which thread is the pudding cookie mix on? DH only likes chewy chocolate chip cookies. I even have a book called "The Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie" with recipes from many different cooks, including Marcy Goldman from betterbaking.com. So far, we've found some we like, but never "THE" one.

Loren
    The pudding cookies are AWESOME!!!!!! I always use semi-sweet chips though -- never milk chocolate, as some recipes suggest.

I'm going to have to try that pudding cookie recipe.

Here's one that I highly recommend. These cookies are to die for (IMHO).

Great Harvest Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups brown sugar -- packed
    1 cup butter
    2 cups rolled oats
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 tablespoon milk
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
    Beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add oats, eggs, molasses and milk; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture; beat until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
    Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and drop about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 F for 12 to 13 minutes, until just starting to brown around the outside. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on racks. Makes 24 giant cookies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm glad this is such a long thread

I looooove Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Linda, I baked another batch (same dough) of the malt cookies at 350 for 10 minutes and they turned out REALLY good. Do you really bake yours for a full 10 minutes at 375?

The malt cookies are crisp. Curleytop, maybe you should try those.

Has anyone read "The All American Cookie Book" by Nancy Bagget? This is one of the best cookie cookbooks I have ever owned. It's packed with great recipes and every recipe has anecdotes and history of the cookie. I just found Nancy Baggett's website at www.kitchenlane.com and am going to look around during lunch.

By the way. Her cookbook has a recipe for chocolate malt sandwich cookies.

I just made a batch of the pudding cookies, and they're really good. I think that may end up being my new "regular" chocolate chip cookie recipe. Do any of you ever use any different flavors of pudding in them?

Originally posted by BlueMoose
    I just made a batch of the pudding cookies, and they're really good. I think that may end up being my new "regular" chocolate chip cookie recipe. Do any of you ever use any different flavors of pudding in them?
    Yes. Sometimes I make them with butterscotch pudding and butterscotch chips. This makes a very butterscotch flavored cookie.

Originally posted by claire797

Yes. Sometimes I make them with butterscotch pudding and butterscotch chips. This makes a very butterscotch flavored cookie.
    OOOHHHHH...that sounds really good!

Originally posted by claire797
    Linda, I baked another batch (same dough) of the malt cookies at 350 for 10 minutes and they turned out REALLY good. Do you really bake yours for a full 10 minutes at 375?
    To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how long I bake them. I judge them by "eye". I kind of like my cookies a little crisp. I might have to try them at 350 and see how they turn out. And it's funny...the last few times I've made these, they have been a little different every time. They still turned out wonderful though. How did your neighbor like them? Those chocolate malt sandwich cookies sound delicious. And yes, I still have a slight chocolate aversion since my Valentine's Day puke-fest! I still manage to choke it down sometimes though.

curleytop, you might like these because they get more crisp the longer you bake them.

Thanks for posting all of those Molli! Did you ever make any?? Maybe to celebrate the new job?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Great Harvest Cookies

Ohh....are these the ones sold by the Great Harvest Bread Company? I have been ISO of a clone for a long time....I have one that I have kinda fashioned but they are not the same. If I ever remember to bring mine in though, I'll post it-people love them when I make them.

Question though....I can't stand the smell of molasses-literally, it makes me gag:-) so I cannot make anything with it....any idea if there is something I could substitute-honey, maybe?

Sheila

Re: Great Harvest Cookies

Originally posted by Sheila in MD
    Ohh....are these the ones sold by the Great Harvest Bread Company?
    Please say yes these are those! Wow, I never thought of that.

Loren- not yet. Hopefully I will

Re: Great Harvest Cookies

Originally posted by Sheila in MD
    Ohh....are these the ones sold by the Great Harvest Bread Company? I have been ISO of a clone for a long time....I have one that I have kinda fashioned but they are not the same. If I ever remember to bring mine in though, I'll post it-people love them when I make them.

Question though....I can't stand the smell of molasses-literally, it makes me gag:-) so I cannot make anything with it....any idea if there is something I could substitute-honey, maybe?

Sheila
    I'm not sure if it is THE recipe that they use, but my mom and I agree that the cookies taste just like them. I couldn't tell that they were any different. The recipe came from a "Midwest Living" magazine from 1989. I think the key to making the cookies is to make them big, like Great Harvest does, and NOT to overbake them. That way they stay nice and chewy. But, be warned....they are very dangerous to have around.

Sheila, I'm not sure about the molasses substitution. I think honey would work, but it might change the taste slightly. I think the molasses is important to the taste of the cookies, even though you don't really detect it when they're done.

Chocolate Chip Malt Cookies

I just want to say that this recipe has really grown on me. I have been baking small batches of the dough (it's gone now) and every batch turns out better. It seems the perfect time and temp for me was 350 for only about 9 minutes rather than 375 for 10.

These cookies keep really well. They stay crisp and the malt flavor becomes more pronounced after a day or two in the cookie tin -- unlike regular tollhouse cookies which seem to lose flavor after a few days.

I'm definitely going to make another batch.

Bumping this up again, because I'm on a mission to find THE best chocolate chip cookie recipe!

I just made the Cook's Illustrated Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies over the weekend. They were good right out of the oven, but after that they were as hard as a rock! They were thick, but not chewy. What did I do wrong? I used a baking stone because I don't have cookie sheets--could this be part of the problem?
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

Originally posted by granolagirl
    Bumping this up again, because I'm on a mission to find THE best chocolate chip cookie recipe!

I just made the Cook's Illustrated Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies over the weekend. They were good right out of the oven, but after that they were as hard as a rock! They were thick, but not chewy. What did I do wrong? I used a baking stone because I don't have cookie sheets--could this be part of the problem?
    I've never baked cookies on a baking stone, so I can't answer that question.

Right now, my favorites are this recipe from Epicurious and Alton Brown's recipe for Chewy cookies.

The Nielsen-Massey Cookies are good too.