Community Message Boards

Thread: can I put my Pyrex dish on the grill?

can I put my Pyrex dish on the grill?

I want to make some sort of baked pasta tonight (like shells or lasagna), but it's SOOO hot still, and I hate to turn on the oven. Can I put my Pyrex casserole dish on the gas grill? Maybe over indirect heat, with the flames on low?

I can't wait for this weather to break!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I don't see why not. I cook in mine on the stovetop (it's gas) to braise bratwurst so I'd think it would dould fine on the grill with indirect heat.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hmph, I would have never thought to try it. So I don't have an answer for you, but am interested to see if it will work

em

Guest Guest
    I did a quick search and found the following :

What is the warranty on PYREX®?

PYREX® OVENWARE & ACCESSORIES
    Safety & Usage Instructions

READ and SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS

WARNINGS
    Failure to follow these instructions can cause breakage resulting in injury or property damage.

NEVER USE ON TOP OF STOVE, under a broiler, in a toaster oven, or place over oven vent or pilot light.

I second what MWS said - I wouldn't do it - I can see some glass flying around. If you have a metal pan, I think that would work best. Or, even on of those foil disposable ones would work.

Vision double boiler

I have a Vision double boiler that I have used on my stove top quite a bit, and not had problems with it. Isn't Vision similar to PYREX®?

No, I have never tried it on my grill.
    Leisa

I wouldn't chance it. It would be a real pain to clean up glass, be short a pyrex casserole -- AND not to have dinner! I'd suggest one of the cheapy disposables, too!
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I made a rice pilauf last night on the grill, in one of those disposable foil pans, and it worked great. I was pleasantly surprised.

Here's the thread with the recipe:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ice+AND+pilauf

Well, I just have to say again that I cook on my stove top all the time so indirect heat shouldn't be a problem.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I had a Pyrex pan explode into little, tiny pieces when it was on a stovetop burner that had been turned on accidently. Never, ever put Pyrex pan on direct heat. The very fine print that comes with your Pyrex pan will tell you that. If the pan is filled with water, water can absorb enough of the energy to potentially keep it from breaking. But, a pasta dish doesn't have as much water in it, so I wouldn't chance it. I would have probably been killed if I had been in the room at the time of the explosion. After four years, we were still finding glass imbedded in the cabinets and walls. I'm just shaking thinking about it.

If you want to try baking in the grill, I would take Kathryn's suggestion and use a disposable aluminum pan.

BTW, Visions cookware is not the same as Pyrex. It is designed to withstand more heat.

Sneezles, are you braising in a large amount of liquid? That's probably what's kept yours from exploding, since you're using very low heat.

Originally posted by Julie O
    BTW, Visions cookware is not the same as Pyrex. It is designed to withstand more heat.

Sneezles, are you braising in a large amount of liquid? That's probably what's kept yours from exploding, since you're using very low heat.
    Visions is made to be used on the stovetop, personally I'd be afraid to use glass on direct heat.

Julie, I think Sneezles mentioned earlier that she has a gas stove. That's not direct heat like an electric stove. I think using a grill with low/indirect heat would be the same as using a gas stove.

I'd still suggest a disposable aluminum pan/tray. I have fears of breaking glass.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Ditto JulieO's post....

My brother decided to make a high school chemistry rock candy experiment in pyrex on our stovetop after repeated warnings from the family not to....

DH still notes that he has NEVER seen my dad so mad as when it exploded all over the kitchen--and the bottom of the pyrex melted onto the stove burner, thus ruining that.

I know it's not the same as a grill, but I wouldn't chance it.

Sneezles- Do you use Pyrex or Corningware on the stove? My Pyrex shattered on the stove, but Corningware can be used on the stove. Vicky

Well, I don't have an answer for you, but with the mention of corningware, I can tell you this.

It survived in the houses of those affected by the Rodeo-Chediski Fire here in Arizona.

If it can survive a wildfire, I see no reason why it wouldn't survive on a stove!

Unfortunately, this gives no insight into Pyrex, however...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."