Community Message Boards

Thread: Question: Can you freeze a casserole in a glass Pyrex dish?

Question Question: Can you freeze a casserole in a glass Pyrex dish?

I think you can but I wanted to double check with the BBoard gurus . I made a double batch of baked ziti and want to feeze one in a glass Pyrex casserole dish.

Thanks!
    Susan

As long as it is sealed well, I say go for it!

Another option is to line the dish with heavy duty foil; freeze the casserole; tehn remove the foil wrapped food, seal it and place the whole thing in a plastic freezer bag. This frees up your dish and protects it a bit more from breakage. When you want to reheaat it, slip it out of its wrappings andback into the dish to warm slowly in the microwave

Thumbs up

Thanks for the additional tips!

Susan, I just did this with stuffed shells. I covered the dish with plastic wrap and then put the cover on it. On the Ronzoni boxes, it says you can cover it with plastic and then foil and freeze for about a month.

Thank you all!!! I am so relieved that I can do it...running to the kitchen now...(tripping over toys as I go)...

Talking

Make sure your casserole and the dish are cool before putting it in the freezer. Also, when you want to thaw it, do not transfer it directly from the freezer to the oven. The glass could crack with rapid changes in temperature.

You probably already know this, but I just thought I'd post a reminder.

Originally posted by Ginny177:
    Another option is to line the dish with heavy duty foil; freeze the casserole; tehn remove the foil wrapped food, seal it and place the whole thing in a plastic freezer bag. This frees up your dish and protects it a bit more from breakage. When you want to reheaat it, slip it out of its wrappings andback into the dish to warm slowly in the microwave
    Handy idea. I have frozen in pyrex and in reusable aluminum pans, but cleaning the corners is a pain and the life is limited. I won't feel guilty just tossing the foil into my recycling bin. You could also make extra and share with family and friends without dealing with the pans.