Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! 6 Ingredients or less???

Red face Help! 6 Ingredients or less???

Hi everyone.

I am a member of a recipe club and one of our first themes will be dishes with 6 ingredients or less. Help! Not one of my recipes has 6 ingredients or less (unless you count the Easy Chicken Santa Fe, but the gal who gave me that recipe is in the club!).

Here are the other criteria: No fish, shellfish, or seafood of any kind. No chunks of fresh tomato, though tomato sauce and/or salsa would be okay. It doesn't have to be light. Oh, and I'm looking for main dish ideas.

Can anyone help??? I'm at a loss! Thanks!

I have the CL 5 ingredient 15-minute cookbook, at least I think that's what it's called so would a recipe from there work?

OK, I'm back and that's the title...here's a few titles fo ecipes:

Mediterranean Pasta with Zucchini
    Fettuccine with Blue Cheese-Artichoke Sauce
    Tortellini Primavera with Pesto Sauce
    Beef and Black Bean Chili
    Ground Beef Stroganoff
    Barbecue Meat Loaf
    Pork Chops with Peachy Mustard Sauce
    Pan Glazed Chicken with Basil

And one note: They don't seem to count salt and pepper as an ingredient.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks Sneezles! When you get a chance, would you mind posting the recipes for the chili, the tortellini and the stroganoff? I hate to ask you post all of those, but I checked the recipe finder and didn't see them there! No hurry! Thanks so much, I would really appreciate it!

how about the chicken breasts with feta cheese sauce?

Susan

So many books--So little time.

How do these 6 ingredients sound?

If a combination of butter, olive oil, garlic, chicken breasts, white wine and lemon juice sounds yummy to you, I can post a recipe that I've used for many years for "poulet scarpiello". I think it came from a Frugal Gourmet cookbook, but I don't know which one.

OK, I don't think salt and pepper should count either, so here are a few...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Easy Italian Baked Chicken

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken , Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 boneless -- skinless chicken breast halves
    1/2 cup Italian dressing, caesar dressing, or
    favorite vinaigrette (I used Kraft Caesar
    Parmesan Vinaigrette)
    1 small can sliced mushrooms -- drained (use 2 cans if desired)--or use fresh
    Parmesan cheese -- to taste
    paprika -- to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Trim any excess fat from chicken. Season chicken if desired (I sprinkled mine lightly with Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle).

Spray rectangular or oblong casserole dish with Pam. (I used an 8x11.5 inch pyrex dish). Lay chicken in pan.

Pour dressing over chicken. Lift the chicken so some gets underneath.

Scatter mushrooms over chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink but still juicy.

NOTES : The flavors are going to vary depending on what dressing you use. The original recipe called for Italian dressing and I'm pretty sure I've made it that way too and it was also good. I served this over egg noodles with frozen baby broccoli on the side.

Maple-Mustard Pork Tenderloin With Caramelized Apples

Recipe By :Cooking Light
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Low-Fat Main Dish
    Pork

2 pork tenderloins -- (1/2-pound)
    Cooking spray
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    6 tablespoons maple syrup -- divided
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh OR 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    4 medium Granny Smith apples -- each peeled and cut into 16 wedges (about 2 1/2 pounds)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Trim fat from pork.

Place pork on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. (Line the bottom pan with heavy aluminum foil for easy clean-up).

Combine mustard, 2 tablespoons syrup, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; brush over pork. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of pork.

Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes or until thermometer registers 160°F (slightly pink).

While pork is baking, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add apples, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low, and add 4 tablespoons maple syrup. Simmer 10 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.

Cut pork crosswise into slices; spoon cooked apples over pork.

Summer Lime Chicken

Recipe By :
    Categories : Chicken For the Grill
    Main Dish

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- (4 to 6)
    1/3 c. olive oil or vegetable oil
    Juice of 3 to 4 limes
    3 cloves garlic -- minced (3 to 4)
    1/2 t. salt
    1/2 t. pepper
    3 T. fresh cilantro -- chopped
    fresh salsa or pico de gallo -- optional

Combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic, etc. in a bowl.

Marinate for at least 1 hour, but not overnight.

Cook on grill, until done. Approximately 10 minutes per side, depending on how hot your grill is and how thick your chicken breast halves are.

Serve with fresh salsa or pico de gallo, if desired

Source:
    "Beta Sigma Phi--Heart to Hearth--pg.95"

Along the same lines as the baked chicken, I will take boneless, skinless chicken breats (use as many as you need), marinate them in Italian dressing (I use Wishbone). When you are ready to bake them, throw some of the Trader Joe's frozen mixed bell peppers on top and bake at 350 or 375 until done (my DH likes his chicken well done so I usually bake it for about an hour). The longer you let the chicken marinate the juicier it is. (I don't usually season the chicken because the dressing is salty enough for me.)

The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Alysha,
    Here are the recipes for you, no problem (I always need practice with my typing ).

Beef and Black Bean Chili

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 7 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 pound ground round
    4 cups black beans -- undrained (recipe calls for no salt added 15-ounce cans)
    1 cup salsa -- chunky style, medium or hot
    2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce -- no-salt-added
    1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix

Cook meat in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles. Drain, if necessary.

While meat cooks, drain and mash 1 can of black beans. Add mashed beans, undrained beans, salsa, tomato sauce, and seasoning mix to saucepan; stir well. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Spoon into serving bowls. If desired, top each bowl with 1 tbs low-fat sour cream and 1 tbs shredded cheese.
    Yield: 7 (1-cup) servings.

Source:
    "Cooking Light 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook"
    Copyright:
    "1999"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 566 Calories; 13g Fat (20.1% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 18g Dietary Fiber; 45mg Cholesterol; 601mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : The Nutritional Analysis is off by what CL has in the cookbook. This is what the book has:

Calories 236(15% from fat) Fat 3.9g Protein 22.8g Carbs 27.6g Fiber 5.2g
    Exchanges 2 Starch, 2 Lean Meat

I just went and looked at the ingredient analysis for the ground round-MC claims that 2 1/4 ounces per serving is 2 meat and one fat, don't think that's correct when a serving of meat is 3 ounces!

Tortellini Primavera with Pesto Sauce

Recipe By :
    Categories :

1 package refrigerated cheese tortellini -- (9-ounce size)
    1 package frozen broccoli, carrots, & waterchestnuts -- (16-ounce size)
    1 cup fat-free sour cream
    2 tablespoons pesto sauce
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese -- shredded
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Cook tortellini and vegetables in 3 quarts boiling water 5-7 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender. Drain and return to pan.

Combine sour cream, pesto, salt and pepper, stirring well. Gently stir sour cream mixture into pasta mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 (1 1/4 cup) servings

Source:
    Copyright:
    "1999"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 170 Calories; 7g Fat (33.5% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 283mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This one is out of whack as well. While MC has both the tortellini and the veggies in it's ingredient list, it assumes "whole" and I'm not sure how that is figured in overall. So here's CL's analysis:

Calories 331 (33% from fat) Fat 12.2g Protein 18.7g Carbs 38.1g Fiber 3.0g
    Exchanges: 2 Starch, 2 Vegetable, 1High-Fat Meat, 1 Fat

Ground Beef Stroganoff

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

8 ounces egg noodles -- wide, uncooked
    1 pound ground round
    3 green onions -- sliced
    8 ounces mushrooms -- sliced 1" thick
    12 ounces gravy -- beef, fat-free (12-ounce jar)
    8 ounces fat-free sour cream

Prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While noodles cook, cook meat, green onions and mushrooms in a large nonstick skillet until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain.

Return meat mixture to skillet; add gravy and next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in 1 tbs dry sherry, if desired; salt and pepper to taste. Serve over drained noodles.

Source:
    Copyright:
    "1999"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 676 Calories; 24g Fat (32.1% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 80g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 113mg Cholesterol; 3398mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Again the analysis is way off. So here's CL's take on it:

Calories 367 (19% from fat) Fat 7.6g Protein 31.1g Carbs 42.9g Fiber 3.9g
    Exchanges: 3 Starch, 3 lean Meat

This one is a winner at our house:

Pork Medallions w/ Apricot Glaze
    (From The 5 in 10 Cook Book)

1.5 pork tenderloins (~1 lb)
    Salt and pepper
    2 small garlic clove
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 cup port
    3 tbsp apricot jam

1. Cut the pork tenderloins into 8 medallions about 3/4 inch think. Season with salt & pepper.
    2. Mince the garlic. Heat oil in large frying pan over high heat. When oil is hot, add pork and cook, turning once, until pork is browned outside and no pink in center (~6 min). Remove to platter.
    3. Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the port and apricot jam and boil over high heat, stirring, for another minute.
    4. Return the pork and any accumulated juices to pan and heat through. Serve immediately. (3-4 servings)

This is really simple (aka meets the under 6 ingredients requirements), but it's surprisngly tender and delicious. I think it pleases most palates

Honey-Mustard Tenderloin

1 whole pork tenderloin (2lb)
    4 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine honey, vinegar, sugar and mustard well. Coat tenderloin well with sauce. Place tenderloin in a shallow pan and roast for 20 - 25 minutes, until meat thermometer inserted register 155 - 160 degrees F. Slice to serve.

Thanks everyone! And thanks for typing all those recipes Sneezles! At least they were short and sweet! I think I'll pick a few and experiment with them over the next few weeks. But how will I choose???

I found a couple over at Epicurious too that I will post later for others intersted in quick, easy meals!

Thanks so much!!!

Originally posted by lindrusso
    I found a couple over at Epicurious too that I will post later for others intersted in quick, easy meals!

me, me! (waving hand)

I'm interested!

Maybe a simple pizza...LIke a pesto based sauce ...
    Alton Brown did a great burger using home-ground meats the other day...

Burger of the Gods
    courtesy of Alton Brown

8 ounces chuck, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    8 ounces sirloin, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    In separate batches, pulse the chuck and the sirloin in a food processor 10 times. Combine the chuck, sirloin, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Form the meat into 5-ounce patties.

Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Place the hamburger patties in the pan. For medium-rare burgers, cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side. For medium burgers, cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side. Flip the burgers only once during cooking.

Yield: 3 servings
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Standing with Val waving hand excitedly.

Thanks Alysha,

Terri

My favorite is:

Rosemary-Garlic-Onion Chicken

Chicken breasts (salted and peppered)
    Finely chopped garlic
    one onion cut in rings
    Dried rosemary, crushed
    Olive oil

I just cut up the onions and garlic, combine with about a tablespoon of olive oil and the rosemary. Lay some of the mixture on the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Put the chicken breasts on top of that. Put the rest of the mixture over the chicken. And, I forget how long and at what temp. I think it's 40 minutes at 375 or something like that. If you're interested I'll check. This is from the Joy of Cooking.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Perhaps this is cheating a bit - BUT if you consider this two recipes I think it fits the bill.

Angela's Turkey Gyro's (CL BB)- they are excellent and very easy. I am finishing up leftovers now... YUM

Turkey Gyros

1 lb. lean ground turkey
    1/2 C. onion
    2 tsp. minced garlic
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
    1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    4 7" pita bread

Cucumber Mint sauce (to be served on top of gyros)

1 C. non-fat plain yogurt
    1 C. non-fat sour cream
    1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
    1/4 tsp. dried mint (i used dill)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    dash black pepper

Mix all turkey ingredients in non stick skillet and brown. In bowl combine all Cucumber Mint sauce ingredients, stir. Spoon hot meat mixture over pita and top with sauce

I was just starting to marinate my chix thighs for the Asian BBQ and thought...WOW...if you leave out the lime juice, these would be PERFECT for the 6 or less ...I don't think there would be much of a change in taste leaving that out...
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Okay Val and Terri - I won't make you wait any longer!

I haven't tried any of these, but they did all get 3 or more forks at Epicurious. They don't sound particularly light, but the recipes could be tweaked. It's kind of funny that the recipes that sounded good and fit my criteria for 6 ingredients or less all happened to be stuffed poultry breasts!

GOAT CHEESE AND OLIVE-STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS

This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

6 Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives
    1 ounce soft mild goat cheese (about 2 tablespoons)
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    2 boneless chicken breast halves with skin
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Pit and thinly slice olives. In a small bowl stir together olives, goat cheese, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste until combined well. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.

To form a pocket in chicken for filling:
    Put a chicken breast half on a cutting board and, beginning in middle of 1 side of breast half, horizontally insert a sharp thin knife three fourths of the way through center, moving knife in a fanning motion to create a pocket. Form pocket in remaining breast half in same manner. Divide filling between pockets and spread evenly with a finger.

Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. In a small heavy ovenproof skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown chicken, skin sides down, about 2 minutes. Turn chicken over and brown about 2 minutes more. Transfer skillet to middle of oven and bake chicken until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serves 2.

Gourmet
    March 1999
    Quick Kitchen

GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST STUFFED WITH PROSCIUTTO AND BASIL

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

2 prosciutto slices
    1 teaspoon coarse-grained mustard
    8 fresh basil leaves
    1/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella
    1 skinless boneless whole chicken breast, halved (about 1 pound)

Prepare grill.

On a work surface spread prosciutto slices evenly with mustard. Top slices with basil leaves and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Starting with a short end roll up each prosciutto slice.

Pat chicken dry and put on a work surface, skinned sides down. Remove "tender" (fillet strip located on either side of where breast bone was) from each breast half, keeping rest of chicken breast intact, and reserve tenders for another use. (There should be 1 tender from each breast half.)

To form a long thin pocket in chicken for prosciutto roll: Put chicken breast halves on cutting board and, beginning at thicker end of breast half, horizontally insert a thin sharp knife three fourths of the way through center of each. Open cut to create a 1-inch-wide pocket in each half. Fit a prosciutto roll into each pocket and season chicken with salt and pepper.

Grill chicken on a lightly oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side. (Alternatively, chicken may be grilled in a hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately low heat.) Makes 2 Servings.

Gourmet
    June 1997

This one got the best reviews out of the three:

TURKEY TENDERLOINS WITH PESTO AND PROVOLONE CHEESE

This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Rice pilaf and roasted vegetables are good choices for side dishes. Using purchased pesto makes this dish a snap to prepare.

4 turkey tenderloins (about 2 1/4 pounds)
    8 tablespoons purchased pesto
    3 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips

Fresh basil sprigs (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut each tenderloin lengthwise almost in half. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto inside each. Then insert cheese strips, dividing equally. Using toothpicks, skewer tenderloins closed. Brush each all over with 1 tablespoon pesto. Arrange tenderloins on rimmed baking sheet.

Bake tenderloins until thermometer inserted near center registers 160°F., about 20 minutes. Slice tenderloins crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick rounds; arrange on serving platter. Whisk any juices and browned bits on baking sheet to blend; spoon over turkey. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired, and serve.

Serves 6.

Bon Appétit
    April 1999
    Brad Avooske, Chico CA
    Too Busy To Cook?

Enjoy!
    Alysha

they really sound good and easy, too!

That last one (Turkey Tenderloins with Pesto and Provolone) sounds too easy not to try. But provolone is kind of boring to me.

wonder if anyone could give me their opinion on this:

Would a stronger cheese be ok in this recipe, or do you think the cheese should be mild since the dish has pesto?

Oh your a gem!!!

Thanks a bunch they look great.

I am always looking for those fast easy recipes when I dont have time to cook.

Terri

You could try smoked provolone or the sharp if you can find it.

Thumbs up

What good quick meal ideas!

knunes-your recipe sounds good...could you please post? Also, what sides do you serve with this?

This hot summer has made me shy away from using the oven...hopefully that won't last much longer!!!

tia
    Jean

Val, I think the pesto is so distinctive that a strong cheese would mute it and I think the main flavoring should be the pesto.

JMO Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Would pizza be an option? If you count the crust as one ingredient you have lots of options for the other 5. Or shish-kebobs, but you would have to keep the marinade simple. How do you count ingredients for something like a marinade where you could buy 1 bottle and count it as one item or you could make your own but then the item count goes way up? Does each bit of herb or spice used count as 1 ingredient? If so, how do you count herb blends?
    Anne

Here is an interesting link about crock pot recipes that have 6 items or less:

http://southernfood.about.com/librar.../bl6orless.htm

Terri

Originally posted by Anne
    Would pizza be an option? If you count the crust as one ingredient you have lots of options for the other 5. Or shish-kebobs, but you would have to keep the marinade simple. How do you count ingredients for something like a marinade where you could buy 1 bottle and count it as one item or you could make your own but then the item count goes way up? Does each bit of herb or spice used count as 1 ingredient? If so, how do you count herb blends?
    Hi Anne.

I'm avoiding pizza just because our theme is geared toward moms who want to make dinner in a hurry. It's my guess that for really busy moms (the mom who suggested this theme is a SAHM with 4 kids, 7, 6, almost 3 and 1), ordering out pizza is their way of not having to cook at all, so making their own pizza may not be as attractive?? I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

I was wondering the same thing about herbs and spices - you use salt and pepper and that's two ingredients right there! I would be inclined to go over the 6 ingredient criteria and not count things like that, but I'm finding it a fun challenge to take it very literally and stick to 6 ingredients!

I see something like a marinade having to count toward the ingredient list. It is another separate step and does take up more time, especially if it involves chopping anything.

I may try the tortellini recipe first. It's pretty much a whole meal in one and sounds like it could be very tasty. But shhhh...I'll probably use homemade pesto from the freezer instead of store-bought!

Here are non crock pot recipes,

http://busycooks.about.com/library/r...fiveingred.htm

Terri

thanks sneezles and sami.

I guess I better stick with the provolone (or some variety thereof) because I don't want the cheese to compete with the pesto.

Here's a fabulous, very easy salmon recipe, from Cooking Light's Superfast Suppers:

Salmon on Greens with Lime-Ginger Dressing

This versatile dish can be served as a salad or main course.

INGREDIENTS:
    2/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 5 limes)
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    4 (6-ounce) skinned salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
    Cooking spray
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    8 cups gourmet salad greens
    1 cup sliced peeled mango

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat broiler.

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, reserving 3/4 cup juice mixture for dressing. Place salmon fillets on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Baste fillets with remaining juice mixture. Broil 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, basting once after turning. Sprinkle fillets with salt.

Divide salad greens evenly among 4 plates; arrange salmon and mango on top of greens. Drizzle with reserved dressing.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    calories: 462 carbohydrates: 48.3 g cholesterol: 111 mg fat: 14.5 g sodium: 243 mg protein: 37.2 g calcium: 60 mg iron: 2.2 mg fiber: 2.5 g