Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Homemade tomato sauce???

Cool Help! Homemade tomato sauce???

Hello all!

I'm swimming in tomatoes from my CSA box! In order to use them before they go bad, I was thinking of making some homemade tomato sauce this weekend to freeze for later. I've searched and found a couple of good threads:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ghlight=tomato

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ghlight=tomato

Does anyone else have any different recipes, techniques, or hints??
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with wild abandon or not at all. --Harriet Van Horne

i think there was a good recipe for fresh tomato sauce in the thread you sent. But what I do is just cut up tomatoes (I don't peel them) and put it in the Cuisinart with some fresh basil and freeze it in 1/2 cup containers. When I use it, I put in some fresh garlic, salt and pepper.

I also cut up the tomatoes and freeze them in 1 cup containers to use as "canned" tomatoes in cooking.

That said, my tomato crop this year is terrible except for the Roma tomatoes. I guess the lack of water (and I have tried to water once a week) and the deer ruined my crop.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Re: Help! Homemade tomato sauce???

Originally posted by Kismet
    Hello all!

I'm swimming in tomatoes from my CSA box! In order to use them before they go bad, I was thinking of making some homemade tomato sauce this weekend to freeze for later. I've searched and found a couple of good threads. Does anyone else have any different recipes, techniques, or hints??
    Hi Kismet,

There are more tomato sauces than you can shake a stick at, many already covered in the previous threads. For something a little different, this vodka sauce is a family favorite and can be prepared in about 30 minutes.

Pasta with Creamy Tomato and Basil Sauce

The basic recipe came from Cook’s Illustrated and while I’ve modified it a little it’s still basically the same. The original motivation for this recipe was to have a tasty pasta sauce that could be made in a short period of time, usually less than 30 minutes. It succeeds wonderfully. The sauce has bright flavors and a slight tang. This recipe will make enough sauce for about 1½ pounds of pasta.

2-28 ounce cans (or use fresh) diced tomatoes, drained of excess juice
    4 medium cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons water
    ½ teaspoon sugar
    1½ teaspoons salt
    1½ teaspoons basil
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    ¾ cup vodka
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic puree and red pepper. Sauté for about 2 minutes but do not allow it to brown. Stir in tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vodka and simmer for 10 minutes more. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt, cream and black pepper. This next step is optional: to make a creamier sauce, place about ¾ of the sauce in a blender and puree it. Return the pureed sauce to the to the pot and allow to heat thoroughly and simmer very gently for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to blend and to reduce to the desired thickness.

Cheers,
    BD

Hi!

First, a tip. I find it works best when using fresh tomatoes to take the time to peel and seed them first. First, blanch them in boiling water to make the skins come off easier. Then, after you peel and core them, squeeze them gently to get out as much juice and seeds as possible. This will help to keep your sauce from being too runny and watery.

I'm going to throw out two recipes here. The first, however, is NOT good for freezing. I tried freezing it once and it seemed to lose all the flavor that the roasting process gave it! I figured I'd include it anyway because it's very easy and very tasty. The second sauce is also quite good. It comes from CL's recipe for Fresh Tomato Lasagna. It's a bit heavy on the onions, but I liked it.

ROASTED FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

4 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    8 to 10 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    salt and pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, optional

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarters and arrange them in layers in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle onion and garlic around the tomatoes and drizzle the oil over the vegetables. Roast the vegetables for 50 to 60 minutes or until the tomatoes are lightly browned and the garlic is tender when pierced with a knife. Transfer the mixture, in batches, to a food processor and chop coarsely or puree until fine. Add salt and pepper to taste and chopped herbs.

Makes about 5 cups.

FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
    (from Cooking Light, October 1999)

4 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 3)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups (about 3 1/2 pounds) tomatoes, chopped, seeded and peeled
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 (6-ounce) cans Italian-style tomato paste

1. To prepare sauce, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato and next 7 ingredients (tomato through tomato paste). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Enjoy all the fresh tomaotes! Yum!

Lindarusso - this is SO ironic. I have been searching ihgh and low for a roasted tomato sauce I made quite a bit a couple/few years ago. SOmehow didn't have enough tomatoes last summer and misplaced the recipe. And now HERE IT IS!! I love this sauce and it is so easy. Could you please remind me what issue this was in so I can mark it?

THank you. YOu made my day.

What timing this thread is! I too have a bumper crop of tomatoes from our CSA to use. I was just about to dig out the recipe I used last year (Ohioan/Phoebe's method) with great success. You saved me the time since one of the links you posted had her method on it. Thanks! I am going to look at my April 2000 and Oct. 99 issues for those recipes too. It's an overcast misty day here-perfect tomato sauce making weather!

~Susan~

PS~ Also have a TON of potatoes to use! Too bad I can't put those in the sauce too!

Originally posted by RUSTYSMOM
    Could you please remind me what issue this was in so I can mark it?
    That IS funny!

Actually, if I remember correctly (I forgot to make a note), I think this sauce comes from Joan Lunden's lowfat cookbook. I think this is the sauce that goes with an eggplant parmesan dish??? Maybe CL did a similar recipe??

Alysha

Hmmm - intersting. Maybe i saw it in a newspaper?? I don't have that cookbook. I am 99% ceratin this is hte reicpe I am looking for. My 1%hesitation is that i cannot recall if the recipe I used in the past called for a splash of balsamic vinegar as well. THis is driving me crazy!! I am just going to use the one you posted. It is likley it and my memory is going... Thanks again.

Originally posted by lindrusso

ROASTED FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

4 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    8 to 10 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    salt and pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, optional

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarters and arrange them in layers in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle onion and garlic around the tomatoes and drizzle the oil over the vegetables. Roast the vegetables for 50 to 60 minutes or until the tomatoes are lightly browned and the garlic is tender when pierced with a knife. Transfer the mixture, in batches, to a food processor and chop coarsely or puree until fine. Add salt and pepper to taste and chopped herbs.

Makes about 5 cups.
    Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for posting this recipe, Alysha!!!!! I made it tonight and WOW!!!!!!!!!! We loved it! I probably went overboard with the garlic (13 cloves!) but I love garlic. It was the best sauce I've ever made! I added fresh basil and a bit of dried Italian herbs. I served it over whole wheat spaghetti pasta. This was so easy and I didn't miss having to babysit a pot of sauce for hours (not to mention those red specks all over the stovetop!). Thank you again for sharing this terrific recipe!

~Susan~

Originally posted by Susan
    I probably went overboard with the garlic (13 cloves!) but I love garlic. It was the best sauce I've ever made!
    Is it possible to overdo roasted garlic????? Glad you enjoyed it!

Originally posted by Susan
    I probably went overboard with the garlic (13 cloves!) but I love garlic.
    At that point I probably would have used the whole head...I don't think there is ever too much garlic!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!