Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn allergies?

Unhappy Autumn allergies?

Is there such a thing as season allergies in Autumn?? I am new to allergies, having just started suffering in the spring of 2001. This year, I took Allegra and a decongestant from about mid-April through mid-June. However, the last couple of days, i've been sneezing, had sinus pressure and puffiness, and feel like my allergies are cropping up again. Is this possible? We've just entered a period of cool, fall-like weather around here... TIA for any advice. Martha

YES!

I don't know exactly what I'm allergic to, but my allergies kick in about the middle of August. I'm sitting here all itchy right now!

Here's hoping September is better!!!

My throat has been scratchy and thick on & off for the last couple of weeks. If I eat any citrus or spice I have a difficult time.
    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives

-Albert Einstein-

I think mid-august is the start of ragweed, among the many others that are out there. DH is suffering badly this year for some reason. We've been married 9 years and this year is the worst I've seen him...it's been unseasonably HOT and dry in this area (and I know around the US) so maybe that has made this more noticeable for those who are on the threshold of allergy reactions.

SOrry to hear you are suffering....
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Oh yes, ragweed it is! My DH and DS are both suffering terribly right now. It's so bad that I'm even having problems and I usually don't! Ugh! I'm off to the doctor this week to get us some drugs - Claritin that is! I'd better stock up on tissues too!

I do not look forward to the first frost, but then again....

To echo everyone else, yes, unfortunately, there are autumn allergies. Ragweed, and some other stuff, I think -- also, mold can be a problem, too.

Things seem to have gotten bad around here, allegy-wise, the beginning of last week. My boss has terrible allergies, and she's been in awful shape -- sneezing, puffy red eyes, the works. I have minor allergy problems, spring and fall -- usually not severe enough to need meds, though, but this fall looks like it's going to be trying. I've been congested every morning this week, and yesterday I had an awful sinus/allergy headache that just would not quit. I just came in from outdoors, and I can feel the headache coming back on.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, Martha. DH suffers from bad pollen allergies in the spring, and Allegra seems to work well for him -- since you've taken it before, you might want to ask your doctor about trying it again now. I usually rely on Advil Cold and Sinus to get me through the couple of bad weeks in the fall, since it's the sinus headaches that are the worst problem for me.

Good luck. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Leaf Mold

My absolutely worst allergan is mold spores from wet autumn leaves. I have found that Nasonex spray works better for me than Allegra or any other allergy pill. I was on FloNase for a while but it gave me nosebleeds. Nasonex gets my vote for easy and effective relief.

Another allergy sufferer checking in.

It's getting so bad that SO can't stand me any more. I'm cranky because everything itches and my head feels like a cottonball. I've been taking Zyrtec, but it's not completely taking care of the problem. I just can't wait until it frosts.

Jen
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

this is the worst I have had it in a long time. My whole body is itchy and my throat feels like it is scratched up. I usually don't get allergies this bad in the fall..my DH does, however he isn't feeling a thing and I am going nuts. I wonder if it's because of the terribly dry summer we had?
    Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in heels!

It is RAGWEED season, everyone! Apparantly many people are allergic to this. Also, changes in pressure, resulting in winds and storms, will stir up stuff everywhere and attack people with allergies. some people are also allergic to dead leaves in Autumn.

If you're not sure if it's your allergies acting up, each state usually has a website run by somebody who monitors pollen and other allergens that's in the air. Check it out. Weather Channel (www.weather.com) has pollen reports for select cities.

Yes, late August/early September is usually the worst time for my fiance's allergies. This year he wasn't having any problems with them and then all of a sudden last Saturday he had the worst allergy attack he'd had in years! And we had to do stuff at our old apartment and go to an engagement party someone was throwing for us...I felt so bad for him! Fortunately the rest of the week has been better for him though he still swears by his Claritin.

I don't suffer from seasonal allergies but haven't been able to wear contacts much for the past few weeks...who knows, that could be due to weather as well. I'll have to get it checked out.

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Yup, as Wallycat says, ragweed it is, I suspect. When I first moved to the Midwest (6 years ago), I started suffering from allergies, and mine were worst in June/July. However, they did act up again in the fall, and sure enough, when I finally was tested, I was most seriously allergic to grass, but also to ragweed in a lesser degree. So, you're not going crazy or anything, you are just allergic to different things. Good luck with it,tho! Some of your same meds should still help with the ragweed, I think.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

the saying around here is if you weren't born with allergies live here long enough and you will get them. I know P & G(Procter and Gamble) makes allergy medecine..I guess they are in the right place!!! Good ole cincy weather....hang around for a minute or two and it will change. Although we haven't had any rain latley...
    sure wish we would get some..maybe that would help me from sneezing so much!!
    Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in heels!

the saying around here is if you weren't born with allergies live here long enough and you will get them.

He, he, I had to laugh. Here my allergist says, there are two kinds of people, those with allergies and those who will get them.

Since I'm in the first group (and this is a fairly recent thing) I have to agree. Of course the fact that I live in an area where the air quality is worse than LA probably has a lot to do with it as well.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

WOW, thanks for all your responses. I haven't checked back here in a while. I started taking my Allegra again and also using nasal spray (I think it's Flonase), which are providing an adequate amount of relief. It seems I'm more prone to sinus infections in the last couple of years, too, so that's what I'm trying to avoid. So, thanks for your help, and I guess I'll be praying for a hard frost, too! (no chance today, the high's supposed to be in the 80s!). Martha

Ack, me too Martha! I have been spared problems with allergies for most of my 40 years, but for the last four days I've been a honking, sneezing, runny-eyed mess. Thought it was a cold at first, but it's not behaving that way.

Can anyone help an allergy newbie by suggesting remedies? Preferably ones that don't dehydrate you too much (or is that too much to ask?).

Nasalcrom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've mentioned it on other allergy threads.

I'm sorry you have joined the allergy ranks. Nasalcrom blocks the histimine sites in the nasal cavity and doesn't work on the whole body...no drowsy feeling, no Rx from a doc, not overly $$$ .....

There are also over-counter eye-drop anti-histimines that can reduce your eye watering...

sorry...I'm hoping for a VERY early frost (only because I love winter )

Thank you Wallycat. This is not a club I was ever hoping to join, but it does seem to be a large and sympathetic one.

I don't know....

where you are memartha but allergies come in all seasons (trust me I know). My Dr. put me on Allegra yr. round. Last year here in TX I was hit with cedar fever badly from Nov. to Jan.

My DH is hardly affected. His dad sent him to an allergy clinic when he was a kid.

Hang in there and ask your Dr. about taking Allegra yr. round.
    Leisa

Originally posted by JenZen
    Another allergy sufferer checking in.

It's getting so bad that SO can't stand me any more. I'm cranky because everything itches and my head feels like a cottonball. I've been taking Zyrtec, but it's not completely taking care of the problem. I just can't wait until it frosts.

Jen
    Oh Jen, I really, really feel for you because I'm in the same situation. I have severe allergies to everything all year (dust mites year round, oak pollen, and fescue are the most severe and they're all rampant here---spring and late summer/early fall are the worst) and I'm on Zyrtec. It only works if I take it with Rhinocort (a steroid spray). I've tried everything on the market and Zyrtec was my last choice. The Rhinocort only works if I take it with Zyrtec. Well, the cat (who I'm mildly allergic to) got up on the bathroom counter and knocked the Rhinocort off which broke the bottle. Insurance won't pay for a new bottle for two more days. In the meantime my DH can't stand me because I'm so crabby because my head feels like it weighs about 100 pounds and my throat is sore from sneezing and I itch all over. I thought about going and paying full price for the med, but I can surely stick this out for a couple of days. After all, I've been like this since I was 8 or 9 (allergy shots didn't help ), 2 more days should be no problem.

I hope everyone feels better soon!
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

I'm pulling up this old thread because my husband has had terrible ragweed allergies these past couple of weeks, and the pills he's taking are just not working anymore. I'm especially interested in the Nasalcrom Ana mentioned -- sounds good! I told my guy about it and he is going to check it out, so thanks, Ana! I also checked out their website and it does seem like it could be just what he needs. Has anyone else taken Nasalcrom and have an experience to share? Also, is there anything else of this sort that anyone would recommend? If not, he'll probably give this one a shot.

Thanks in advance,
    Natasha

I know this is a route you probably don't want to hear of, but when your body goes on "overload" meaning just one more allergen hits you your body really reacts. My Dr. likened it to a glass of water that you fill up and it is above the brim of the glass.... one more drop of water and the water spills out. You could be fine but it is that one more thing that makes your body feel miserable. Maybe you should consider allergy shots. It's not fun, but it does help! Yesterday I was fine, but in spite of taking Zyrtec in the morning, being at DDIL house with two cats was the extra drop. I took two tessalon pearles (Rx from Dr.) last night and it really helped the scratchy throat.

Fall and all the molds from all the rain the east coast has been having definitely kicks up the allergy level to wishing you could exchange your body for a better model. I have always loved the fall, but not the extras that come with it.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Joan

I had to respond to this thread, because I've finally found relief from my fall allergies.

I started taking Nasacort. It's a nasal spray, and it's worked better than anything I've tried. This is the first time in about 12 years that I've been able to enjoy the month of September.

Even with the nasal spray, I do use Zyrtec if I start sneezing too much.

Jennifer
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Thanks, Joan and Jen! Joan, I have been gently nagging my husband to go for shots, but he's resisted so far (though I think his resolve is weakening ). Jen, is Nasacort over-the-counter? It doesn't really matter, because he can always just go to the doctor to get a prescription, but I was just wondering.

Thanks again, guys!

Natasha

Natasha, Nasacort is a Rx. And FWIW, it didn't do a thing for me except send me into a sneezing fit everytime I used it. I'm still trying to find a replacement nasal spray/inhaler for my discontinued Beconase.

Although it's not a nasal spray, what works for me is Clarinex (NOT Claritin which is now OTC.) Clarinex is Rx but if I take it regularly, I do not need the nasal sprays.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Funny how stuff that works so well for some doesn't work at all for others! I switched to Clarinex when Claritin went OTC, because it was cheaper (with insurance). It didn't do anything for me, but it works better for DH than Claritin ever did.

What a timely thread...I thought when I moved from PA to FLA my allergy/sinus problems were over...wrong...

They're worse than ever...we've had a very rainy, wet summer, and the mold is killin' me...not to mention the humidity...I find I'm very sensitive to changes in the weather also....

I finally started on Flonase a few days ago, which hopefully will help with some of my sinus pressure soon...I never seem to get stuffy, just sinus pain, pressure and headaches...not to mention just plain feeling like s*&%...

I'm also tried mega doses of Vitamin C and some OTC homepathic sprays...but no relief...

I've been reading a yoga book that has a section on postions that can be helpful for sinus pressure that I'm thinking of trying, and also some facial massage...

Any other "natural therapies" anyone has tried?

~Gail H.
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Originally posted by gabbyh

Any other "natural therapies" anyone has tried?

~Gail H.
    Stinging Nettle a few weeks before allergy season is supposed to work. I've never tried it so can't vouch for it. Info on it is on dr. weil's site.

I guess I'll be praying for a hard frost, too!
    ME TOO, Martha! ME TOO!

Everyone around here hates the thought of winter and boos me everytime I mention a frost....I don't want winter to come! Just a good hard frost and then all the Indian Summer everyone can handle!

Well, I guess.........winter wouldn't be that bad.
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen