Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supper Club San Antonio

Supper Club San Antonio

Is there a club in San Antonio? Anyone interested in starting one?
    jfecto (now jmullen)

Hi Jfecto!

I guess since there haven't been any replies, there must not be a supper club in SA. I'd be interested in starting one, anyone else out there interested?
    There have to be more than 2 people here who want to experiment making healthy, yummy food!

Supper club in SA

I am interested in starting a supper club here in San Antonio also and I have one friend who would also be interested. How 'bout it?

Me, too!

Hey, I'd love to join. We had a San Antonio supper club going for a short time, but it didn't last. I'd be most interested in a club that really focused on CL recipes.

Four people interested would be enough to have a preliminary meeting, yes?
    “The moment you wake up each morning, all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving it all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.”
    - C. S. Lewis

Ready to get started!

Well I am excited to get started! I have a pretty open schedule in the evenings so I am flexible for a prelim. meeting. Any ideas?

I'm Interested, Too

Hello, All. I'm also eager to join a club in the San Antonio area (we live in New Braunfels). I am more than willing to facilitate and host the initial meeting at my home later this month, if you all would be willing to drive the 1/2 hour to New Braunfels. Thoughts?

SA Supper Club

New Braunfels is not a problem for me. Thanks for offering to host!

Great! I'm so glad there is interest! I'd also want to focus on CL recipes as they are a bit more on the healthy side.

New Braunfels wouldn't be a problem for us. Please let us know when would be a good day/time.

I'm excited, too!

Kbiggins,
    Thanks for offering to host, that would be great. It would need to be a weekend evening, I think, for me to make it out to New Braunfels, but I wouldn't mind that.

Perhaps we could have an initial meeting where we all bring an appetizer or something to share, and then decide what will work best from there - how many people are interested, when we'll meet, what we'll cook, etc.

Does someone want to toss out some dates? Possibly Sept. 20? I'm pretty flexible, so whenever . . .

ajkerkhoff
    “The moment you wake up each morning, all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving it all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in.”
    - C. S. Lewis

Meeting dates

Sept 20th works for me.

SA Supper Club

Hello, everybody! I was just now thinking about planning a barbecue next weekend, and it dawned on me that I never checked back to see if anyone responded to my original post for a Supper Club in SA. So I immediately logged on and I'm soooooooooooooo excited to see all your responses! As a transplanted Houstonian, I miss all the social activities I participated in there. I went to cooking school for two years and organized and/or participated in several clubs that dined out monthly, or had dinners at members' homes regularly. My boyfriend Kurt and I love to cook, and eat, and discover new restaurants. When I read about the Supper Clubs in Cooking Light, I knew it was a great idea. But when I saw there wasn't one in SA, I didn't hold out much hope. But I was wrong -- there are interesting fun people everywhere!!!

Thank you, New Braunfels, for offering to host our first meeting. Sept 20 is a Friday (this Friday, in fact). We work until 6:00 and we live in La Coste, so we probably wouldn't get there until 8. A Saturday might be better. What do you all think? If the majority wants Friday, we'll arrange our schedules accordingly.

Thanks, everyone, and look forward to meeting you.

Meeting

Hey everyone -
    I know I suggested the 20th - however, I was forgetting a rehearsal dinner I need to be at that evening. Oops! And it sounds like that date doesn't work for jfecto, either. Sorry to be so flaky - does someone else want to suggest another date?

Hope to be cooking together soon!
    - C. S. Lewis

Possible Dates

What about Friday Oct. 4th or Saturday Oct. 5th? I am out of town the last weekend in September so that is the earliest weekend I have available. Look forward to meeting you all soon!

How about Saturday, 10/5?

Well, I think we're narrowing it down! Friday may be tough for everyone given work schedules, so let's shoot for a Saturday. It's looking like September won't work -- how about Saturday, October 5th at 6:00? Let me know how that fits with your schedules and we can plan accordingly. In the meantime, I'll start a "club roster" for us if you'll send me name, address, phone number and email address for all interested folks. This will be the first time I've participated in a supper club -- can some of you veterans give us an idea of the maximum number of participants that's workable?

Initial meeting

October 6 looks good for us. This is an initial meeting, right? We're not doing a dinner. Hope everyone else responds.
    jfecto (now jmullen)

I mean Oct 5, Sat.

Sorry. Oct 5, Sat. is good for us.
    jfecto (now jmullen)

Yes, this will just be a preliminary meeting, so we won't cook; however, I'll put some thought into what we can all bring to make for a fun get-together (I think someone recommended bringing appetizers, for example, and I could supply the wine, etc.). Can everyone please send me an email (karen.biggins@bankofamerica.com) with their contact information and who, if anyone, they'll be bringing -- just so I can get a count. Thanks, I'm really looking forward to meeting you all.

First meeting SA chapter

Hey, cdavis, chiqui, ajerkhoff, haven't heard from you guys. We still don't have a meeting date. C'mon, everyone.
    jfecto (now jmullen)

Cdavis is definitely in for 10/5, too. I recommend we go ahead with this date for a kick-off meeting, and we can pull in others laters as needed. I'll work on directions to my house, etc.

Important: Date Change

Hello, All -

We've got a conflict with 10/5, so let's try the following Saturday, 10/12 at 6 PM. I know this works for jfecto. How about everyone else? We'll get this scheduled yet!!!

New Date

October 12th works for me...I think that one friend will be coming also, but I'll have to check the new date with her. Hopefully, this date will stick - i'm excited to get to started! How many people are planning to come?

Right now I think we have 7 confirmed: jfetsko and her boyfriend, you and your friend, myself and my husband, and my girlfriend, Rebecca. Anyone else out there interested?

1st Meeting SA

Haven't heard anything since 10/3. Are we still on tract? I've invited a couple of people but haven't heard from them yet.
    jfecto (now jmullen)

10/12 Meeting Details

Hello All -

Well, the time is drawing near for our kick-off meeting, so here are the last-minute details you'll need:

- DATE AND TIME: Saturday, October 12th at 6:00 PM.
    - WHERE: Home of Kirk and Karen Biggins. 458 River Forest Drive in New Braunfels (directions below).
    - WHO: We have 7 confirmed participants, with a couple "maybes". In case you're wondering if there will be any male cooks, my husband and Joyce's boyfriend will attending.
    - WHAT TO BRING: A 'Cooking Light' appetizer from your old magazines or the website. To be safe, assume your appetizer should feed 12. I'll provide the drinks, utensils, etc.
    - FORMAT: A combination of getting to know one another and club planning. I'll have an agenda prepared to keep our "business" discussion on track.
    - CLUB ROSTER: If you haven't done so, please send me your contact information (mailing address, phone numbers, email address) and I'll have a preliminary roster ready to share. My email address is karen.biggins@bankofamerica.com.

I think that's it. Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday. If you have any last-minute questions, feel free to call me at 830.626.1212 (H) or 210.410.8659 (C). Directions to my house in New Braunfels are below.

Cheers!
    Karen Biggins

· Take IH35 North to New Braunfels.

· Take the FM 306/Canyon Lake exit. This is on the north side of New Braunfels, so you’ll pass most of the New Braunfels exits.

· Take a left at the traffic light onto FM 306 (heading toward Canyon Lake).

· Stay on FM 306 past these landmarks: Coleman plant (on the right), Jak’s (on the left), Doug’s BBQ (on the right), and a railroad crossing.

· After crossing the railroad tracks, start looking for billboards advertising the Riverforest subdivision.

· Take a left onto Bretzke Lane. There isn’t a traffic light here, but there is a bright yellow Riverforest billboard. It will only take you 3 - 4 minutes to get to Bretzke Lane from IH35.

· Stay on Bretzke Lane for about 1.5 miles.

· Take a left into the Riverforest subdivision.

· After you pass through the gate (which will be open until 6:30 PM) and the clubhouse, we're the 3rd house on the right.

· Call us at 830.626.1212 if you have any problems.

· IMPORTANT: If you arrive after 6:30 PM, the gate will be closed. You’ll have to look up BIGGINS on the keypad so we can buzz you in.

10/12

Thanks Karen! Look forward to meeting you all.

First meeting SA chapter

Karen, we invited someone also, so add one more.
    jfecto (now jmullen)

We are excited to find there is a club in San Antonio. We would like to be included on the next invitation list. My husband and I both love to cook and would like to meet other people who enjoy this as well. December is a pretty busy time for people so we'll look forward to hearing from you about the next get to-gether.

Next dinner?

Karen, Rebecca, when is the next dinner? Are we skipping December?
    jfecto (now jmullen)

New meeting

Hi Joyce,

We missed you and the rest of the crew who could not make the last soiree! I think we had tentatively planned for January 11th for the next meeting, since December posed too many scheduling problems. However, I don't remember who we nominated to host. Happy Holidays and see you all in January.

We voted to have our next dinner at Stewart's and Kristee's! But I think Karen is going to allow Stewart and Kristee to sponser it from her home. Right Karen?