Community Message Boards

Thread: coating the back of a spoon??

coating the back of a spoon??

this weekend, i tried - and failed twice - to make the pumpkin spice cream from the september issue. (the first time was my fault, because i didnt realize the milk was divided.) the second time, when reheating the milk with the eggs it never seemed to coat the back of a spoon as directed. i stirred, and stirred and waited until finally it broke down into a gross milky-scrammbled egg texture. so my question is - what does coating the back of a spoon look like? are we talking pudding consistency here - or cream?

please help - i have a lonely can of pumpkin waiting to become pumpkin spice cream!

When making a custard it is very important not to let your mixture boil or you will have scrambled eggs. It takes patience; low heat and constant stirring. When the mixture comes to a good thickness, look for a coating on the spoon; turn to the back of spoon and draw a finger down. If there is a line from drawing your finger down then your custard is done. Always pass the mixture through a sieve just in case there is a lump or two.
    A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat---Old New York Proverb

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him the entire weekend.---Zenna Schaffer

Never eat more than you can lift.---Miss Piggy

thanks - my mixture actually did what you described, but for some reason the word custard made me think i was looking for something thicker more like pudding. yay - pumpkin spice cream in my future!

the custard doesn't get very thick at all. it is much less thick than I thought it would be. For some reason the word custard makes me think of something thick.

Let us know how your next batch comes out!