Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Bible verses to read at funeral

Need Bible verses to read at funeral

I know this isn't a very upbeat post, but I need some help. My uncle (Mom's brother) died on Wednesday, and I am going down to Florida for the funeral, and she has asked me for some help with a verse or passage to read. My uncle was 46, died suddenly of a heart attack. His wife found him in the backyard where he had been working.

It's unfortunate, but my grandparents don't even have a bible in the house, so I'm in charge of getting one and bringing it with me tonight. I'm not familiar enough to pick out the right passages. If you have any suggestions, please post them. You don't need to type everything out, just the book/chapter/verse(s). I will take them all with me on the plane and read!

Thank you so much!

Here are some suggestions:

John 11:24 (I am the Resurrection and the Life...)
    1 Corinthians 15: 51 - 57 (O death, where is your victory?)

There are some other excellent quotes, but I don't have my bible with me, with the concordance.

Also, if you know any Roman Catholic priests or devout laypeople, there is a magnificent quote from the Book of Wisdom (which is not in the Protestant Bible) that is wonderful: it goes something like, "Though their passing was grievous, yet they are in glory." Ask any priest; they'll be able to find it for you, and it is truly wonderful.

I'm so sorry to hear of your uncle's death and will keep his family and yours in my thoughts and prayers.
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

This one is meant more for comfort. It's one of my favorite verses, especially when I don't understand why things are the way they are.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean unto unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and he shall direct thy paths.

I know Psalms 23 is also very popular for funerals. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.... yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

also, if it helps any, you can look up any passage in any translation at www.bibleontheweb.com.
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

My aunt knows a lot of scripture and told me this verse at my grandmother's funeral - it gave me a lot of comfot to know my grandmother was in heaven with Jesus because she chose to follow him

John 14:2-6 (NIV version)

2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going." 5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
    6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life.

The actual end of verse 6 is ". No one comes to the Father except through me." However, I've often heard people stop reading at the middle of verse 6, just as I had typed before.

This was easy for me to include in its entirety because I cut/pasted it from www.gospelcom.net. If you aren't sure which version to read from, you can go to the website, type in the verse reference at the Bible Gateway portion at the top of the site and choose a version and see what the wording is. I like NIV best because the wording is easier to understand than all the thees and thous.

You and your family will be in my prayers.

Jennifer

More for Comfort

To help you and your family get through the next few days...

James 1:2-5 is a pretty good verse, too. Not for the reading, but maybe for you and the other people. It talks about going through trials. It has helped me this past year through all the trials I've been through.

James 4:13-17 is also a good passege, but I'm not sure if it would be more appropriate for the reading or for you? It talks about how we never know if we will have a tomorrow or not - it is only up to God and his will for our life.

Thank you!

I just wanted to thank you all for your prayers and your suggestions for verses. We had the pastor read John 14, but we ended up reading most of your suggestions, which we found comforting, even though they didn't end up as part of the service.

Also, I picked up a great book in the airport called "Talking to God" by Naomi Levy. It is a collection of prayers; there's one for just about every situation, and I chose one of those to read during the service. It's nice when there are too many emotions to be able to write your own prayer. Also it has nice stories that introduce each prayer. I just thought I'd pass that along!

Again, thanks for your help!

Jen