Community Message Boards

Thread: can i substitue vegetable oil for canola oil?

can i substitue vegetable oil for canola oil?

i am making the "white chocolate bundt cake with raspberry sauce" that was posted on the bb tonight.

it calls for canola oil.

i don't believe i have ever used canola oil before. ??? i have vegetable oil, olive oil & peanut oil.

so can i sub vegetable oil?

sorry for the dumb question, i just dont want to screw up the cake!

I am not an oil expert by any means, however, I buy canola oil and use it everytime a recipe says "vegetable oil". I believe it is a vegetable oil. I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable BB members will be able to give you more specific information.

I would say that it is fine to substitute vegetable oil for canola.

Peggy

go for it...
    canola oil has no specific taste/flavor to it so you should be fine.
    Canola oil is "healthier" so you'll miss out on the benefits, but for a dessert....I'm sure it won't make much difference.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

you got to be kidding me.

so canola oil & vegetable oil is the same thing?!

wow. so much to learn!

generally speaking, they are the same...but molecularly, they are slightly different...canola has omega-3's and higher amounts of monounsat fats (omega-9). Veggie oils are usually higher in omega-6
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

yes

I believe the term "vegetable" oil is somewhat generic. For instance, there is corn oil which is also a vegetable oil and canola oil which I think is also a vegetable oil. I'd better stop here, because I fear I am getting in over my head (knowledge wise). Where are all of the cooking trivia experts????

Peggy

Here's what foodsubs. com says:

canola oil = rapeseed oil = lear oil Notes: Canola oil is a versatile, neutral-tasting oil that is very low in saturated fat. Puritan is a well-known brand. Substitutes: corn oil OR safflower oil OR soybean oil OR peanut oil OR cooking spray (for greasing pans)

and here's the link to the page...

http://www.foodsubs.com/Oils.html
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks sneezles!! I knew someone out there would be able to clarify this issue! Oils are so complicated these days...

Peggy

let us know how you like the bundt cake. I just made it a while back for the first time and it was really good. I didn't even make the raspberry sauce and everyone said that was the best part! I still liked it even without the "best part."