Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking a two pound pork tenderloin???

Question Cooking a two pound pork tenderloin???

Please help if you can. I bought pork tenderloins at Costco, but they look to be about two pounds each (that's Costco for you)! All the recipes I can find are for one pound tenderloins. Have any of you cooked a two pound tenderloin and, if so, how did you adjust the cooking time and/or temp??

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Naomi

Naomi,

Are you sure that it's not just two one-pound pork tenderloins packaged together? That's how I've always bought them, but granted, I didn't get them at Costco. I know everything at Costco is bigger and better. (Or wait, is that Texas??)

Anyway, I don't mean to question you; I was just curious if you actually opened the package and saw that they were two-pound tenderloins.

I have a digital thermometer that I use when I cook pork tenderloin, and it works like a charm everytime. I usually marinate (in whatever marinade suits me that day) and bake at 350-400 until the internal temperature reaches 160 (for me, that takes about 25-30 minutes). I don't think you should have to adjust the cooking temperature, just the length of time (maybe closer to 45 minutes?). A meat thermometer, if you have one, will help you out. Oh, and you'll probably want to marinate it much longer too, maybe overnight.

Here's a chart for a guidleine for cooking different cuts of pork. One important thing to remember is that the pork must reach the internal temp and remain there for at least 15 seconds to kill the bacteria. The recommended internal temp for pork is 150º-160º not the old 170º.

Cooking Times for Pork
    If you look at old cookbooks, they used to recommend cooking pork much longer than today. THe following chart shows updated cooking time's for today's leaner cuts of pork.

Roasting - 350° Oven Approx. Thickness/Weight Cooking Time
    Loin roast, bone-in 3-5 pounds 20 min. per lb.
    Rib roast, boneless 2-4 pounds 20 min. per lb.
    Tenderloin (450°F oven) 1/2-1 pound 20 min. per lb.

Broiling/Grilling 4" from Heat Approx. Thickness/Weight Cooking Time
    Chops, bone-in 3/4 inch 6-8 min.
    Chops, boneless 3/4 inch 6-8 min.
    Tenderloin 1/2-1 pound 15-25 min.
    Kabobs 1 inch cubes 10-20 min.
    Lean ground pork patties 1/2 inch thick 8-10 min.

Panbroiling - Med. High on Stovetop Approx. Thickness/Weight Cooking Time
    Chops, bone-in 3/4 inch 6-10 min.
    Chops, boneless 3/4 inch 6-10
    Lean ground pork patties 1/2 inch 7-9 min.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hi Naomi,
    Roast port tenderloin is my all time favorite meat: I put about a 1T rosemary on my cutting board, drizzle a bit of garlic flavored olive oil over it and mince the rosemary to bits! Rub the rosemary-oil-salt-pepper all over the loin--- roast uncovered at 325 til internal temp reaches 170; that takes about 1 hr for those two itty-bitty loins! Yuuummmmmy! I'm having leftovers on my Fandango salad tonight ...
    Fay
    Good character, like good soup, is made at home.

Oh Pooh!!
    I left out most important part:

after you rub the rosemary-oil-salt-pepper all over the loin, brown in skillet to seal all those juices THEN roast uncovered at 325 til internal temp reaches 170; that takes about 1 hr for those two itty-bitty loins! Yuuummmmmy! I'm having leftovers on my Fandango salad tonight ...
    Good character, like good soup, is made at home.

I'm actually making a recipe for pork tenderloin tonight. The recipe calls for a 1 lb tenderloin, but mine weighs 2. I bought it at Sam's club and weighed it. The cooking times in the recipe seem really low, so I'm planning to eyeball it.

Well anyway here's the recipe that I am making. I doubled the sauce, cashews and made a ton of brown rice (not instant).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork, Cashew, and Green Bean Stir-Fry

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup instant rice
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 pound pork tenderloin -- trimmed
    -- and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    4 cups green beans -- 2-inch cut
    -- about 1 pound
    2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- minced
    -- to 2 tablespoons
    -- or bottled (such as Spice World)
    2 cloves minced garlic
    -- or 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
    -- less sodium
    1/4 cup cashews -- chopped
    -- unsalted

Cook the rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While the rice is cooking, combine soy sauce, and cornstarch in a medium bowl; add pork, stirring to coat. Cover and chill.

Place the beans in a large saucepan of boiling water, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the beans, and plunge into ice water. Drain.

Heat sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add pork mixture, stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in beans, stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes or until pork is done. Stir in broth; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with cashews. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup stir-fry, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon cashews).

MC formatted by Nanci Olson [arndtn@yahoo.com]

Source:
    "Cooking Light, Superfast Suppers, p. 46"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 346 Calories; 10g Fat (26.5% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 74mg Cholesterol; 698mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : You could also try asparagus, broccoli florets, or sugar snap peas in place of green beans.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

That is odd. The pork tenderloins that I buy at Costco are much like Aggie described, two one pound tenderloins packed together and two of those packs on a styrofoam tray.

Well, the total package weighs a little over 4 pounds (which is the smallest I could find at Costco) and it looks like there are two wrapped tenderloins on the styrofoam tray. So I think I'm in the same boat as Nanci with a 2 pound tenderloin (or two of them to be exact). I've read that it is important not to let tenderloin dry out when cooking since there isn't much fat, so I didn't want to overcook it or use the wrong temperature.

Thank you for all the ideas--I really appreciate the tips! I do have a meat thermometer, so I will watch that carefully.

Naomi

Naomi--

The 2 lbs were packaged together in one vacupack -- I think there were two of these packs together when I bought them at Sam's. When I cut the tenderloin up -- it seemed like two tenderloins were intertwined and packed together. Of course, I didn't know that until I defrosted and broke the vacuseal. Perhaps people split the tenderloin when they purchase and package in smaller pieces. I couldn't beat the price for the big pack vs. the much pricer smaller cuts at the regular supermarket.

I'll let you know how the recipe turns out.

Nanci

Ok, after reading Nanci's comment, now maybe I understand what Mickey was trying to tell me (I note Mickey lives near me, so we must buy the same stuff)! Do you mean that I have four pork tenderloins in my fridge (two in each plastic wrapped "tube" on the tray)? Hmmm, looks like we'll be eating a lot of pork around here . . . As you can tell, it's the first time I bought "bulk" pork (but hopefully not the last).

Naomi

P.S. Thank you all for your patience while I went through "pork tenderloin 101!" Now I feel kind of foolish!

Yum!!!!! Recipes sounded great. We buy those big packages of pork tenderloin and put them in the crockpot for a 24-hour pulled pork barbeque. Now we'll have to make a decision of what to do with them!

Originally posted by naomike
    Hmmm, looks like we'll be eating a lot of pork around here . . . As you can tell, it's the first time I bought "bulk" pork (but hopefully not the last).

Naomi

P.S. Thank you all for your patience while I went through "pork tenderloin 101!" Now I feel kind of foolish!
    Just to let you know that the second package should be sealed in it's own wrapper and it freezes very well. And don't even concern yourself with feeling foolish...we have all been in that line!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hey, Naomike, I'd bet my next paycheck you have four tenderloins. That's how mine come from Costco ... two plastic tubes packaged together, each containing two tenderloins.

And fyi, those babies freeze beautifully! I generally use one and wrap the other plastic tube, unopened, in heavy aluminum foil and pop it in the freezer. They take about 24 hours to thaw in the fridge.

And if you're in the mood for another tenderloin recipe, our favorite is the maple-glazed pork tenderloin from Bon Appetit, sometime in 2000, I think. I'll post the recipe if you like. It's easy and sooooo yummy!
    "I will not defend my patriotism to those with the vile audiacity to have questioned it. A true patriot loves what his country stands for, not necessarily what his country does, and I will not shrink from holding America to her ideals." - Eric Zorn

Originally posted by naomike
    Do you mean that I have four pork tenderloins in my fridge (two in each plastic wrapped "tube" on the tray)?
    Yep. That is what I was trying to say in a very ineloquent way!

I would bet you have 4 tenderloins. If this is too much for you to deal with you can cut 1 or 2 of them up into center cut-like pork chops.

Mickey--you weren't ineloquent (I didn't mean to imply that at all if I did)! I was being dense!!

And burleydee--I'd love the recipe!! Now that I have four tenderloins (for two adults and one picky toddler who wouldn't eat much dinner tonight, much to my frustration), I obviously need to collect a couple of recipes!!

Thanks!

Naomi

Here you go! I forgot to mention, it's quick and easy, and toddler-friendly. My son loves it.

Pork Tenderloin with Maple Glaze

2 12- to 14-ounce pork tenderloins
    2 teaspoons crumbled dried sage leaves
    1 tablespoon butter

6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Rub pork tenderloins all over with crumbled dried sage; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot and bubbling. Add pork tenderloins and cook until brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until thermometer inserted into pork registers 150°F, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer pork to platter; cover to keep warm.

Whisk 5 tablespoons maple syrup, 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard in small bowl to blend. Set aside. Add remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar to skillet and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return pork and any accumulated juices to skillet; add maple syrup mixture and turn pork in glaze just until coated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer pork to cutting board. Cut pork into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stir remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup into glaze. Season glaze to taste with salt and pepper.

Arrange pork slices on plates. Spoon glaze over pork and serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
    October 2000
    "I will not defend my patriotism to those with the vile audiacity to have questioned it. A true patriot loves what his country stands for, not necessarily what his country does, and I will not shrink from holding America to her ideals." - Eric Zorn

Oh boy, are those words I loved hearing--or reading as the case may be (that your son loves it). Thank you, thank you--this is definitely going to be on our menu very very soon!!

Naomi

P.S. And it looks like I already have all the ingrediants too!