Community Message Boards

Thread: Difference in pears

Difference in pears

Saw some Asian pears at the Farmers Market on friday. What is the difference between these and maybe Anjou or Bosc pears? I wanted to make a pear-almond crumble from Oct. '99. Has anyone tried this recipe? I remember seeing another pear dessert in this Sept. issue- that would also take Anjou pears. (most of the supper clubbers recommended Anjou over bartlett for the recipe)

Okay, thanks for any help-
    Christina
    Take time to explore the untraveled paths and secret gardens of this sweet life. ~unknown

Timely thread... I just ate an asian pear. I don't think it would be too good in a crumble-type dessert. They really don't have much taste and are much crunchier/more watery than normal pears. I was just looking at recipes on epicurious and they mostly used asian pears in salads/slaws or poached. I think in salads because they are a nice crunchy, fresh texture. I think poached so they can add some more flavor to the pears. Hope this helps some.

Carrie

just bumping this one up for carrie. but I don't have an answer for you.

I have a question of my own, though (if I can butt in here).

I love pears, but it seems that whenever I buy them at the store they are hard and not very juicy.

maybe I am buying the wrong kind of pear. what kind of pear is soft and juicy? or maybe my pears aren't ripe. how do you ripen them? will they just ripen if they sit in the fridge a few days?

Val...the best way to ripen them is to bring them home and if they are still a little hard, put them in a brown paper bag. Check them in a day or 2 and they should be soft. Be careful though, once they start to go soft, put them in the fridge. They go bad shortly after if you don't. They turn out beautifully.

jennifer

Back to the Asian pears...

I love pears of almost every variety, but I've never been crazy about the Asian pears. To me, they taste like a pear trying to be an apple and winding up neither one.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Try comice pears...

Comice pears are my all time favorites...I've just started watching for them again. (No sightings yet.) They are fat and so sweet and juicy when they're ripe. I think this is a similar variety to Harry and David's Royal Riviera pears, although I've never splurged and ordered them.

All I can tell you is that we peel them because the skin is a bit tough, and slice them and eat with a knife and fork, because they are so incredibly juicy. And they smell wonderful, too. Definitely a special treat over here.

sounds yummy, breadmama.

what part of the country are you in? I wonder if they have these pears here in CT grocery stores.

Re: Try comice pears...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by breadmama
    [B]Comice pears are my all time favorites...I've just started watching for them again. (No sightings yet.) They are fat and so sweet and juicy when they're ripe. I think this is a similar variety to Harry and David's Royal Riviera pears, although I've never splurged and ordered them.

The Harry and David pears are Comices, and they're worth the splurge(and no, I have no connection with H&D.) They're better than any you've ever bought in the market. I gave up waiting for someone to give me some for Christmas and started ordering them for myself. They take a few days to a week to ripen after they arrive, and then it's one of those died-and-gone-to-heaven experiences.(Why is there no smilie for this?)No, I really don't work for them.