Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I dispose of used deep fryer oil?

Question How do I dispose of used deep fryer oil?

Well, maybe if I was a true CL gal then I wouldn't have to ask this question-- --but my kids occasionally like chicken nuggets which I make myself. My mom bought me a Bravetti professional deep fryer and it holds quite a bit of oil. I'm not exactly sure how to dispose of the used oil. Any suggestions?

Debbie
    Unless you oppose the death penalty, don't tell me you're pro-life.

You can strain the oil (through cheesecloth or a paper towel or a coffee filter) and refrigerate it and reuse it a couple more times.

You could try pouring it into a large can with a plastic lid (I use a 3# coffee can) and freezing it. I don't think the oil will actually freeze, but it may thicken up. Then you could wrap it up in some newpaper and put it in a paper or plastic bag and put it in the trash.
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I rarely deep fry, but I always wonder the same thing (and is one reason I don't do it more often).

When we lived in Japan, we could buy a powder that you sprinkled in the oil when you were done using (and reusing). The powder solidified the oil which you could then dump into the garbage. It was SO nice. I would have loved to have brought some home with me, but alas, the shipping laws wouldn't let me. Can't someone in America come up with the formula themselves and market it?!

Karen

I haven't deepfried anything in ages but I remember there was something you could fry that would clarify (purify?) the oil of off flavors etc. so you could use th oil again. Maybe potatoes?
    Anne

Thanks, guys! I'm not usually one to save oil but, since my deep fryer has quite a large capacity, I'm thinking of straining ( ) and saving.

I sure wish I could get the Japanese powder for disposal!! You'd think, in America, the land of deep fried garbage, that we'd have it-- !

Debbie
    Unless you oppose the death penalty, don't tell me you're pro-life.

I realize that you've probably already disposed of the oil, but...
    When we fondue with oil, I let it cool down, then pour it in an old plastic milk container with a lid. We go through a contatiner of milk about once a week - so I never have to wait long to have an empty one.