Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smokey Turkey Almond Mole: Oct '02

Oh my gosh, lorilei, that looks so good.

I made the Smoked Turkey Almond Mole last night. I thought it was great. SO thought it was too spicy (of course, I doubled nearly all of the spices, which could account for that problem ) I probably won't make it for him again, but am really looking forward to lunch!!! Gina
    Change your mind, change your body

We just had this for dinner tonight. YUMMMY.
    Here are the changes I made

Instead of an aniheim--didn't have one...I looked at foodsubs and they indicated that it was similar to a bell pepper but very subtle, if any heat....so I USED: Paprika from Penzey's...but the half-sharp version.

Again, instead of the chipotle adobo (which I HAVE in my freezer and don't think to take out) I used the powder....

Instead of dumping all this hot stuff into my cuisinart or blender, I used my immersion blender...next time, I think I'll use a pan that makes the liquid higher and prevents splatter

I also used Whole Foods Almond butter instead of messing with grinding my own almonds for butter.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMM.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Val
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thumbs up Really interesting flavors

I have never made anything like this before. It was really yummy, and because all the flavors were so interesting, I got full pretty quickly.

My changes - use red pepper flakes instead of the anaheim chile. Used one flour tortilla instead of the 2 corn tortillas. Blended the almonds (more like a crumbly mixture) and then added the rest of the stovetop mixture to the cuisimart and blended all together. Then I added a dash rice wine vinegar (what I had) and quickly blended again. Then added back to the pan to reheat.

I served this over basmati rice. And there was enough leftover to freeze (tons of sauce left!).

I will make this again, probably right after Thanksgiving like everyone else.

i'm going to make this on sunday finally...i can't wait! just one question....

i don't have any leftover chicken or turkey, just uncooked chicken breasts. what would be the best way to cook the chicken to use in this dish?

there are some ideas in these threads.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...hlight=chicken

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...=poach+chicken

it seems a lot of people around here thing poaching is the way to go. that is how I usually do it too.

one more question...did anyone omit the ground cloves? i don't have that and was too cheap to buy it today (6 bucks for a tiny jar that i might only use once!). do i really need to use the cloves?

I used them but couldn't taste them in the final product so I think it will be ok to leave them out.

Guest Guest
    I don't like cloves, so I left them out too. The dish was delicious without them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I have been meaning to post that the leftovers were just as good. I threw them on a flour tortilla, then heated it up in the microwave. It was yummy.

ok..i'm all set to make this today. i found the anaheims and muir glen fire-roasted tomatoes at Wegmans. i really thought that they would have the chipotle peppers, but they didn't. ended up at a mexican grocery store and stocked up! i can't wait to try this.

Thumbs up

We love this! Looked everywhere for the fire-roasted tomatoes and never found them, so we used crushed tomatoes with roasted garlic. We also subbed fresh anaheims for dried. We cooked the chicken on the George Foreman grill and served this on brown rice. The brown rice combined with the sauce to make a "comfort food" kind of dish. The leftovers are wonderful. We will make this often. It was very easy, too.

Kelli

Thumbs up

I made this last night and we really liked it. One DD actually gave it a so-so (since I've stopped making dual dinners for her, she's forced to eat our meals or yogurt for dinner - a so-so means she eats it instead). DH proclaimed it a definite repeater.

I served it with whole wheat cous-cous to keep the WW points for the meal down and served it with a side of the carmelized carrots (also from October) which were okay (not great) but make a nice and quick change when preparing carrots.

Oh, and they didn't have anaheim chilis in my supermarket so I ended up using some fresh thin chilis from our garden (picked just b4 the first frost ).

Oops - lastly, someone in NJ (I think Reggie) said they couldn't find Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes. Surpisingly, I found them in the World Class Shop Rite in East Windsor, so you might want to check the WC Shop Rite near you. If they don't have them, they can order them.

Thanks Val, for the tip of finding the Muir Glen in the health food section. I looked in my local market's and sure enough, since it was organic, there it was.
    I also listened to you Val, about doubling the chipotle when you didn't have an Anaheim, so I did that too. (Question: I can tell which things are the chipotles when I dig them out of the can, but there is something else in there that is big and chunky and hard----what is it, and do I freeze it when I freeze the leftover chipotle chiles or do I dump it?)
    I WISH I had listened to the recommendation of those who just used cooked chicken. I roasted a turkey breast yesterday (just until the pop-up timer came up and then took it right out) and it was the toughest bird I've ever eaten. My husband said he enjoyed it much more in the Smokey Turkey Almond Mole dish than he did with the mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green beans and cranberry sauce it accompanied yesterday, but I kept wishing I hadn't thrown the leftovers in to this dish, because I was annoyed with having to chew the tough turkey while tasting the other good flavors. AND I had doubled the recipe to freeze, so I'll have to eat quite a bit of it before I can make it again. Oh well.

i made this on sunday night. it was pretty tasty, but i wasn't wow'ed by it. i will definately make it again, since it is easy, my DH ate it w/o complaint, and it's something i can freeze.

i poached some turkey breast cutlets, and i didn't think i had enough, so i added some Perdue short cuts chicken i had in the freezer, and it was fine. i added a whole chipotle and probably could've added 1/2-1 more chili...dh and i like things a little spicy. the amount of heat was nice though. i think i might use the leftovers in some enchiladas..

Originally posted by knunes
    Thanks Val, for the tip of finding the Muir Glen in the health food section. I looked in my local market's and sure enough, since it was organic, there it was.
    I also listened to you Val, about doubling the chipotle when you didn't have an Anaheim, so I did that too. (Question: I can tell which things are the chipotles when I dig them out of the can, but there is something else in there that is big and chunky and hard----what is it, and do I freeze it when I freeze the leftover chipotle chiles or do I dump it?)
    Katie,

glad you found the Muir Glen. I would have never thought to look for them there. I just happened to see them there once when I wasn't looking so I made a mental note that if I ever wanted them, I should look there.

I don't know about the big chunky hard thing in your chipotle can. I have never seen anything like that. I would get rid of it.

Val

Thanks Val. I will freeze them without the unnamed veg...I guess I could check the ingredient list more carefully..!

Well after all the raves, I had to make this too. I liked it alot, but I had no comment from anyone else (DH & granddaughter). I couldn't believe it. This family....I tell you. I had tons more sauce than the picture showed. We had corn on the cob with it.

Red face

Color me dim, but I gotta ask-is it pronounced molay or mowl?

Thanks, Karen

Originally posted by jellyben
    Color me dim, but I gotta ask-is it pronounced molay or mowl?

Thanks, Karen
    I'm glad you asked b/c I was wondering the same thing

Guest Guest
    I always thought that it was pronounced molay.

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. Accent is on the first syllable.

Main Entry: 6mo∑le
    Pronunciation: 'mO-lA
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Mexican Spanish, from Nahuatl mOlli sauce
    Date: 1927
    : a spicy sauce made with chilies and usually chocolate and served with meat
    Susan

So many books--So little time.

I finally got around to making this last night. I wouldn't normally try this recipe, but because I've read so much about it and because I'm trying to try new things, I made it. It was very good - a definite repeater! I couldn't find anahiem chiles, but found the Glen Meir tomatoes and I added 1 whole chipotle pepper. I thought it was just the right about of spiciness. I served it over whole wheat couscous.

It appears that I'm the last one to make this recipe... The verdict? It is fabulous!!!! I couldn't find the fire-roasted tomatoes so I substituted regular crushed tomatoes. I also used two fresh anaheim chiles because I couldn't find the dried. A definate repeater in our household!

Peggy

P.S. It took me about 10 different searches to find this thread!!!! :mad: Some of you have mastered the search function, but it hates me!!!!

Originally posted by Peggy
    It appears that I'm the last one to make this recipe...
    Nope. I still haven't made it. But I am in an "I hate cooking" mode right now and am only baking.

We had this last night for dinner, and DH and I have to concur with all the good reviews above. We were both quite surprised at how much we liked it since neither of us likes the traditional mole sauces. My only changes were subbing ancho chile powder for the anaheims(could not find them), and adding the whole chipotle chile. I served it over short grain brown rice with steamed broccoli. The rest went in the freezer for another time! A definite repeater in this house!

Karen

Originally posted by claire797

Nope. I still haven't made it. But I am in an "I hate cooking" mode right now and am only baking.
    Claire, if you haven't made this yet, then I will be the next-to-the-last to try the Turkey Almond Mole!

Wowza- as fabulous as these posts promised. I didn't get almond butter or even paste, but that's my fault. I read "toasted" almonds, so I toasted almond slivers then pureed and pureed and only got crumbles. I read the ingredient list more closely. DOH Using whole ROASTED almonds would surely have given me the desired results. But, I wonder how much of a difference in flavor it really would have made? Guess I'll need to try it again to find out

No [i]dried[/b] Anaheims to be found, so I used one fresh Anaheim(which are VERY mild- could have just used a green pepper!) and one dried Ancho chile. I used one cube of chipotle chile/adobo sauce paste (I puree a whole can, then divide the paste into an ice cube tray -about 6 cubes per can- and freeze). Used two 6-inch whole wheat tortillas. I was able to find the Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes.

Loved the smoky, spicy results. Served this over brown rice. DH and I were eating the sauce out of the pan by the spoonfuls as we cleaned up the dishes- I'm going to have sauce over leftover butternut squash for lunch!

We had a spicy, young syrah with this- it held its own very well with the rich mole.
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

We finally got around to making this one. I'm so glad that there were so many positive reviews, because DH was resisting the idea, but I was bound and determined to make it after reading this thread. Yep, it was scrumptious. DH also felt that it was a winner. We used a whole chipotle, because we tend to like things on the spicy side (and it was only slightly spicy with the entire chipotle). We used one flour tortilla and some baked corn chips, because I spaced on the shopping. We had it over some leftover Indian restaurant rice. This did not go into the freezer, because DH is looking forward to eating the leftovers.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, next time we're thinking of serving this over barley.

WOW!!!!!!

This was FABULOUS! After all the great reviews, I wasn't the slightest bit disappointed. In fact, I think this is probably the best CL dish we've ever made. DH was a little wary when I told him what we were having, but he loved it too - it was the perfect blend of sweet, spicy, smoky, tangy, and nutty. It could have been a little spicier, though. Next time, I'll use a whole chipotle instead of half. I used two dried red chiles from my pantry, but I don't think they were Anaheims, just the dried red chiles you normally use in Chinese dishes. Other than that (and subbing chicken for turkey), I left the recipe as is. I served it with basmati rice (with green onions tossed in) and roasted green beans. Next time, we'd have something else on the side, like cornbread, to help soak up the sauce. Can't wait for leftovers!!

Thumbs up why did i wait so long?

this was great!

- did not have anaheim chiles, so i just used a whole large chipotle.
    - used perdue shortcuts (chicken) instead of turkey.
    - used prepared unsalted almond butter.

so yummy. i tasted the sauce BEFORE i added the white wine vinegar & almond butter and it tasted delicious even then! when i added those last two ingredients it made it less spicy, more nutty and more complex.

served it over yellow rice with a side of black beans and with a few corn tortillas warmed on the side (for rolling and dipping into the sauce).

perfect! even if you do not have the almond butter (or are allergic to nuts), it would still be great, just not nutty. the almond butter just adds to an already perfect sauce.

Thanks Eva and Sunberst for the reviews. For some reason, I am so intimidated by this dish. Don't know why. Maybe I'll break down and make it next week.

This might be good to put on the weekly menu after making Molli's Crockpot turkey breast.

Molli's Crockpot Turkey Breast? Where would I find this? I'm trying to do more in the crockpot, since I'm working lots! Btw Claire, your Thai Slow Cooker Chicken is a lifesaver for me - LOVE IT!